E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #201
whewitt1

My Ride: 2001 330i
I work in a Euro repair shop and would be happy to pull all files from 330s that come in including my own. someone PM me if interested. I need to know exactly what I need to purchase to get it done. I also have experience tuning for a large aftermarket tuner. I built files for the Z06 Corvette and some other N/A and F/I autos a couple years ago.

Predator Chromiums
Clear Markers
M-tech II
Vorsteiner hood
M3 Lip Spoiler
Staggered 19s
whewitt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #202
mgremillion09

My Ride: 2002 LSB M3
Updates Please?
mgremillion09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:45 PM   #203
HiRide

My Ride: 2002 M3 CB/Cinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by whewitt1 View Post
I work in a Euro repair shop and would be happy to pull all files from 330s that come in including my own. someone PM me if interested. I need to know exactly what I need to purchase to get it done. I also have experience tuning for a large aftermarket tuner. I built files for the Z06 Corvette and some other N/A and F/I autos a couple years ago.
would not recommend pulling files from customer cars without them knowing, especially if you dont have the tools or experience on BMW DME's. But a noble offer for the advancement for end-user DME tuning.

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti
“When I raced a car last it was at a time when sex was safe and racing was dangerous. Now, it’s the other way round.”
- Hans Stuck
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines"
- Enzo Ferrari

HiRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:40 AM   #204
10psie46

My Ride: e46 non m
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennymedeiros View Post
neither was UNIX the operating system and everybody's combined effort around the world together (free of charge) built the best Operating system in the world.
SO TRUE UNIX IS RULES
10psie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:27 AM   #205
mgremillion09

My Ride: 2002 LSB M3
Has anyone heard anything about an update on this?
mgremillion09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #206
JoeBlack330i

My Ride: '00 red 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by whewitt1 View Post
That offer is really great, especially if you can get out some already tuned files from NA and FI cars, things will be much easier after all I think. Please update me about how you go, it is as simple as hooking KWP2000+ or galetto and download the file.

Guys the project seems to be a very promising and good one, I just read the whole posts now and these are my comments:

1st, I already got the bin file from my own M54B30, it is 64k and according to many posts I read on some other forums, this size is 100% enough to tune, since it has all the necessary info and maps in there.

2nd, it is not the matter of tuning MS43 or MS45, the important is to determine the maps and their axes, along with the correction factor (checksum), then determine the stuff to be adjusted. WinOLS already does checksums automatically, I noticed, however, that my own file gives me a different checksum than another one from MS43 for 330i 2003, which is supposed to be the exact engine.

3rd, I am kinda new to this whole issue, started it almost a month ago, however, I think I made a lot of development (mechanical engineer with some electronics background, some literature in hex and linux). So I hope I can be of help during the next phase.

I will need some more time to progress in the basics of Siemens ECUs, as I've learned it is already much more complex than others. I got some addresses for maps somewhere, I will be posting these as long as I find them (they are written somewhere on one of the computers)

Let's keep moving...

Cheeeers....
JoeBlack330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #207
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
1st: nise that you got bin files form your ECU, make shure you post ecu number as well as your bin file.

2nd: every car will have different checksum thats because car's vin number is stored in the bin file.

3rd. I got the 330ci thing figured out, I need someone who will test it sense I don't have 330ci car.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #208
JoeBlack330i

My Ride: '00 red 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
1st: nise that you got bin files form your ECU, make sure you post ecu number as well as your bin file.

2nd: every car will have different checksum thats because car's vin number is stored in the bin file.

3rd. I got the 330ci thing figured out, I need someone who will test it sense I don't have 330ci car.
Please let me know what you are up to on the M54B30, I can see what I can do on my own and post results
JoeBlack330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #209
ritos530i

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i 6speed
Send a message via MSN to ritos530i Send a message via Yahoo to ritos530i Send a message via Skype™ to ritos530i
Please try and refer to ECUs as MS43, MS45 or MS45.1 so others know which dme you are referring to.
thanks guys and glad you keeping up with this project

530i E60 Custom Turbo/Nitrous (PSI_unknown)
ritos530i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:04 AM   #210
sjo328ci

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
I finally found time to try and download my .bin file using my KWP2000+, but I was not successful. I followed the instructions, which I obtained via an internet site, and hit a dead end. The only clue to what might be wrong was the message at the bottom: "Kick not found!". The four radio buttons:

Open Data Prog Read Off

were grayed out and thus inactive.

I'm not completely sure what "Kick" refers to, but from what I have gathered, it seems to be the KWP2000+ box itself. There are four indicator lights on one end of KWP2000+ box as follows:

PWR TX RX VBAT

The PWR and VBAT lights were lit and the TX and RX lights were not. So it would appear that the box is in some sort of communication with the car (thus the lit VBAT light), but the box and the computer don't appear to be talking.

Does anyone have enough experience with the KWP2000 to be able to tell me what might be wrong? As a mechanical engineer I have very little background or experience with digital communication protocols and have no idea what to try next. Can anyone help me with this?

More broadly, does anyone know of a better means of downloading the .bin file? This whole KWP2000 thing just seems incredibly cheesy and hacky, with these Chinese made no name boxes, and getting the user manual off the internet, and then trying to get it all to work with no manufacturer support. There's got to be a better way.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Scott McClelland
M54 crankshaft
Crower MaxiLight forged alloy connecting rods
Ferrea 1mm oversize intake and exhaust valves,
valve springs, and titanium spring retainers
Technik Stage 3 cylinder head (mild port and polish)
Technik tubular exhaust header
227 rwhp (265 crank hp est)

What's the point of having money if you don't have something worth wasting it on?
sjo328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #211
whiteyfoo

My Ride: 2004 M3
I'm starting my own work on cracking the tuning, specifically for the M3. I am working with one of the guys responsible for www.ecuproject.com, a open sourse program and community that is responsible for the cracking of the Saab T7 & T8 engine management system. I'm glad to see there is at least some info and interest in an open BMW tuning solution. I think it would be benneficial to everyone if there was a place where we could post files and share the info we have managed to gather thus far.
whiteyfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #212
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyfoo View Post
I'm starting my own work on cracking the tuning, specifically for the M3. I am working with one of the guys responsible for www.ecuproject.com, a open sourse program and community that is responsible for the cracking of the Saab T7 & T8 engine management system. I'm glad to see there is at least some info and interest in an open BMW tuning solution. I think it would be benneficial to everyone if there was a place where we could post files and share the info we have managed to gather thus far.
I already broke the code if you got 2004 M3 it should have MSS54 dme unit. Do you have proper download and upload tools?
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #213
whiteyfoo

I have the proper upload and download tools for bench tuning. I haven't cracked open the BMW ECu yet, but for the Saabs we soldered a ribbon cable lead that allowed us to do bench tuning while in the car. I'm hpoing something like this can be done for the BMWs as well. Can you send me a stock M3 BIN if you have it? I haven't pulled mine yet as I'm busy with work and a wedding. I may be able to get a sub-forum in the ECUProject web site for us if there is any interest in that? It would give everyone intereted/working on tuning a central place to compare notes and exchange ideas.
Do you have map locations and checksums and everything worked out? Once that gets worked out, it would be possible to make a nice GUI interface for making changes and comparing different files.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #214
ritos530i

Send a message via MSN to ritos530i Send a message via Yahoo to ritos530i Send a message via Skype™ to ritos530i
I'm going to sign up on the site so when the BMW section becomes available I'll be already a member.
@Hakentt, I thought by now you would have cracked, found all tuning files and made a user friendly GUI by now for the MS45/MS45.1 DME by now.
Did you give up on us brother or like most with tough times rolling in your life?

Old 07-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #215
whiteyfoo

Can anyone post up a working link to a BIN file or two? Preferably M3, but any E46 would be awesome. I'm working with the ECUProject guys to get something open source started.
Thanks.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #216
4dr05zhp6mt

My Ride: e66 Monaco Blue
Send a message via AIM to 4dr05zhp6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjo328ci View Post
I finally found time to try and download my .bin file using my KWP2000+, but I was not successful. I followed the instructions, which I obtained via an internet site, and hit a dead end. The only clue to what might be wrong was the message at the bottom: "Kick not found!". The four radio buttons:

Open Data Prog Read Off

were grayed out and thus inactive.

I'm not completely sure what "Kick" refers to, but from what I have gathered, it seems to be the KWP2000+ box itself. There are four indicator lights on one end of KWP2000+ box as follows:

PWR TX RX VBAT

The PWR and VBAT lights were lit and the TX and RX lights were not. So it would appear that the box is in some sort of communication with the car (thus the lit VBAT light), but the box and the computer don't appear to be talking.

Does anyone have enough experience with the KWP2000 to be able to tell me what might be wrong? As a mechanical engineer I have very little background or experience with digital communication protocols and have no idea what to try next. Can anyone help me with this?

More broadly, does anyone know of a better means of downloading the .bin file? This whole KWP2000 thing just seems incredibly cheesy and hacky, with these Chinese made no name boxes, and getting the user manual off the internet, and then trying to get it all to work with no manufacturer support. There's got to be a better way.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Scott McClelland
"Kick not found!" ... to me seems be a debugging error message. Something a programmer would write if a watch dog timer for a processor didn't get kicked. Usually in the embedded device world developers reset a register with a know value(ie. kick the watch dog).
This is what I make out of the other stuff:

PWR = (obviously) power
Tx = transmit
RX = recieve
VBAT = ... BAT strikes me as being Branch Address Translation, not sure what the V is(Virtual possibly) FreeScale (Motorolla) processors clear these BATs when POST occurs.

Im a Comp Sci person, let me know if I can help, will to write some code if needed.

SOLD05 330i 4dr zhp 6MT Jet Black | AA C38-81 S/C, 80mm pulley, water/meth injection | AA headers | Vac Motorsport 248/256 FI cams |

https://www.4shared.com/account/home...edir=105531274 (link to INPA v5, GTv44, EDIABAS, EasyDIS
4dr05zhp6mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:31 AM   #217
fashionman0228

My Ride: Just a BMW
Wondering if there have been any new developments?

fashionman0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:18 AM   #218
ritos530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionman0228 View Post
Wondering if there have been any new developments?
Hey dude how is things going? Send me a email or pm with updates if you have them.
As for this thread. I suppose the guys who started out on this decided to move forward with something else because they haven't updated much at all.
I have my file to send to anyone that wants a crack at it. I basically need someone that can go into the bin file and Identify fuel, timing, RPM, Gear select, Rev limiter, Vano and find the O2 sensor feedback to turn that off. things like that. So far no one hasn't even identified the maps better long created a GUI to interface with it. We have WinsOls to view and edit files.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:18 AM   #219
ZeroSum

My Ride: 05 325
I believe HakenTT has identified lots of maps in the MS43 DME, all we need is a solution for the checksum.
ZeroSum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:26 AM   #220
ritos530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSum View Post
I believe HakenTT has identified lots of maps in the MS43 DME, all we need is a solution for the checksum.
You can get the Checksums from the EVC website or I might have someone who has them already. Plus MS43 DME is just one of the DMEs we need MS45

Tags
custom tuning, dme tuning, flashing, kwp2000