E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 09:56 PM   #261
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
I bought a spare ecu but I can't use it because of the EWS. What I did now is desoldered the chip from my spare ecu, I will solder a socket so that the chip can be removed easely and reprogrammed, this way It would be cheaper than to deal with dieler.

This is how a programmer and ecu look like, found this photo on internet, MS43 ecu looks intentical

Quote:
What about Ms42?
I know it is easier than MS43, I don't know much about hardware swap, those are some big questions.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:47 AM   #262
ritos530i

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i 6speed
Send a message via MSN to ritos530i Send a message via Yahoo to ritos530i Send a message via Skype™ to ritos530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
MS45 file is very similar to MS43, this means that I can do the same thing for MS45 if I hade support.

MS41, MS50, MSS54, MSS50, are even more easy and simple.
What specific support do you need. I have all the MS45 files pulled with checksum and I have my tuned File as well. The problem is I can't reflash the dme without a BMD bench and power supply which i could purchase if i had to. I already got the Flash cables but from my understand you can not flash the MS45 dme through the OBD II ports on the car. Every time I had a reflash it had to be completely removed and put on a BDM100 bench plus power supply Constance 14v
Can you give me what support you will need and we can go from there.

530i E60 Custom Turbo/Nitrous (PSI_unknown)
ritos530i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #263
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritos530i View Post
What specific support do you need. I have all the MS45 files pulled with checksum and I have my tuned File as well. The problem is I can't reflash the dme without a BMD bench and power supply which i could purchase if i had to. I already got the Flash cables but from my understand you can not flash the MS45 dme through the OBD II ports on the car. Every time I had a reflash it had to be completely removed and put on a BDM100 bench plus power supply Constance 14v
I am familiar with the BDM ecu flashing, All Saab OBD2 ecus are flashable via BDM and this is the best way and Ive done it few times, you make a socket for BDM plug in the ecu and you can flash the whole file that includes the EWS as far as I know. I would need your stock file as well as the tuned version from your stock file.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #264
mikejm7

My Ride: ZHP
Anyone got updates on shark edit? I personally don't think it will ever happen.
mikejm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #265
gurov

My Ride: 2004 325XI Turbo
Send a message via AIM to gurov Send a message via MSN to gurov
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritos530i View Post
this has been bugging me for a very very long time.

a constant 14 volt power supply is >NOT< hard to obtain, and making a big deal out of it is not useful. there's absolutely nothing magical about this, and is not going to cost much. certain printers will have this, certain peripherals will have this.

like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Switchmode-Power...item3a623bbe04

it's an adjustable 11-14 power supply, capable of 3.5amps (more available).

if someone told you it has to be a supermagical badass power supply, they're lying to you. all automotive electronics will have so much line filtering and adjustment. the processor itself most likely runs on either 5 or 3.3 volts, which is obtained via a voltage regulator. fact that it won't let you write to flash under certain voltage is most likely a function of the processor picking up the main supply to make sure it doesn't get bricked.
2004 SE-R SpecV turbo - megasquirt3 j&s ultrasafeguard - SOLD
gurov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #266
gurov

Quote:
I am familiar with the BDM ecu flashing, All Saab OBD2 ecus are flashable via BDM and this is the best way and Ive done it few times, you make a socket for BDM plug in the ecu and you can flash the whole file that includes the EWS as far as I know. I would need your stock file as well as the tuned version from your stock file.
i'll be able to pull off a 325xi ms43 whole file for you once i get my bmw scanner (will also be able to do a partial, whenever the galletto gets here)
Old 01-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #267
ritos530i

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i 6speed
Send a message via MSN to ritos530i Send a message via Yahoo to ritos530i Send a message via Skype™ to ritos530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurov View Post
this has been bugging me for a very very long time.

a constant 14 volt power supply is >NOT< hard to obtain, and making a big deal out of it is not useful. there's absolutely nothing magical about this, and is not going to cost much. certain printers will have this, certain peripherals will have this.

like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Switchmode-Power...item3a623bbe04

it's an adjustable 11-14 power supply, capable of 3.5amps (more available).

if someone told you it has to be a supermagical badass power supply, they're lying to you. all automotive electronics will have so much line filtering and adjustment. the processor itself most likely runs on either 5 or 3.3 volts, which is obtained via a voltage regulator. fact that it won't let you write to flash under certain voltage is most likely a function of the processor picking up the main supply to make sure it doesn't get bricked.
Hey, i understand having a constant voltage is not hard to obtain, i was just pointing out it's importance. You can build a power supply and make it work. In my case of the MS45.1 dme every time the DME is flashed it has to be removed. We tried flashing the dme in car and it does not work even if the battery if fully charge and connected to a constant charge. The only way to do it is to remove from the car and put on a BDM bench with power supply. This is not the case with all or every dme which most can be flashed in the car. Keeping in mind technology changes everyday so I can't say what's out there now that will allow flashing of the MS45 dme in the car.

530i E60 Custom Turbo/Nitrous (PSI_unknown)
ritos530i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #268
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurov View Post
i'll be able to pull off a 325xi ms43 whole file for you once i get my bmw scanner (will also be able to do a partial, whenever the galletto gets here)
I would need to know what tool can download full bin file out of the chip not just partial. I don't want to risk desoldering my original ECU, I want to work with spare ecu. Also I can't find a socket for am29f400bb chip
Old 01-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #269
MSS52

My Ride: M5
have a look at this link: http://www.chip-service.de/product_i...0Yamaichi.html

I have bought a few sockets for the AM29F200BB but never used it because I figured out how to read the program before it was necessary to desolder my chips, so I can not comment on there quality but I got good service from this provider, you can buy spare EEPROMS from them as well.
MSS52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #270
gurov

Quote:
I would need to know what tool can download full bin file out of the chip not just partial. I don't want to risk desoldering my original ECU, I want to work with spare ecu. Also I can't find a socket for am29f400bb chip
I am told bmw scanner 1.4 can read entire 512kb off the ecu. I will verify this once I receive it.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #271
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS52 View Post
have a look at this link: http://www.chip-service.de/product_i...0Yamaichi.html

I have bought a few sockets for the AM29F200BB but never used it because I figured out how to read the program before it was necessary to desolder my chips, so I can not comment on there quality but I got good service from this provider, you can buy spare EEPROMS from them as well.
Yes but you are in grossDeutchesReich same as that vendor. I am in USA, I was hoping to buy the socket somewhere from US internet vendor.

Quote:
I am told bmw scanner 1.4 can read entire 512kb off the ecu. I will verify this once I receive it.
please do I would like to know
Old 02-03-2011, 02:59 AM   #272
gurov

Quote:
Yes but you are in grossDeutchesReich same as that vendor. I am in USA, I was hoping to buy the socket somewhere from US internet vendor.

please do I would like to know
bmw-scanner seems to be reading a ton more info out of the ecu. it's taking a while so i'm letting it run overnight.

in the meantime, this is what galletto 1260 pulled off:

5WK90018--
MS43
030936030303256577357603b-
6577355114-

http://gurov.us/430064-e46-2004-325xi.bin

i will post whatever scanner 1.4 comes back with.

has has 2 versions of "read memory" with total length around 1 meg, i believe.

bmw-scanner 1.4 has already proven useful though, i've disabled the damn daytime running lights and removed door autolock above speed.

Last edited by gurov; 02-03-2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #273
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

Quote:
bmw-scanner 1.4 has already proven useful though, i've disabled the damn daytime running lights and removed door autolock above speed.
Nice, just for that its worth having it. Where did you buy it? is it genuine or ebay? I got galletto but it only does the same thing as KWP2000+. Please let me know if the bmw scanner dumps the whole eprom from ms43
Old 02-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #274
gurov

Quote:
Nice, just for that its worth having it. Where did you buy it? is it genuine or ebay? I got galletto but it only does the same thing as KWP2000+. Please let me know if the bmw scanner dumps the whole eprom from ms43

let me upload the eprom i got this morning, it said it finished with errors, but i also had the trans controlled hooked up and wideband hooked up.the car was on a charger, but the charger was flashing error in the morning. i'm redumping it again.

i'll upload what i got, and upload more when i get home tonight.

the bmwscanner is from ebay, it came from asia somewhere. took about a month to get here.

searched for bmwscanner, went with the lowest buy it now auction, seems to work okay, but needs a 32 bit machine (windows 7 is fine, but not on my 64bit win7)

anything you can tell me about my dump via galletto that i posted ? any way you could modify your XDF so i can see the maps inside that ? i would love to be able to modify the vanos angle maps until support for vanos is added to the ms3 alpha. as well as a few other things.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #275
gurov

okay, here's some more stuff to look at:

main directory:

http://gurov.us/bmw_scanner/

http://gurov.us/bmw_scanner/2-2-2011...0-6883F-00.bin is the partial dump of the first part of the DME (0x00000 - 0x7FFFF) that i stopped almost when it was done. this completed without errors like the one i will post later.

http://gurov.us/bmw_scanner/2-2-2011...7-21-59-PM.log log with all the lovely errors

all the .ebp files are "coding data" saves.
all the .bin files are eprom saves from various modules

http://gurov.us/bmw_scanner/2-3-2011...0-7FFFF-00.bin is the "full" dump i ran overnight that finished with errors.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #276
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

Nice to hear it can dump the whole 512kb bin file. But I will need your one clean dump without errors so I can run it in my software and find out where to mod the XDF for your software version.
Errors are there because of the static noize, most battery chargers are AC current, they are ment to charge the battery once out of the car. This is why it is recommended to flash ECUs on a bench using small DC current 14v voltage adaptor.
Does the BMW scanner let you burn the full dump back or no?
Old 02-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #277
gurov

Quote:
Nice to hear it can dump the whole 512kb bin file. But I will need your one clean dump without errors so I can run it in my software and find out where to mod the XDF for your software version.
Errors are there because of the static noize, most battery chargers are AC current, they are ment to charge the battery once out of the car. This is why it is recommended to flash ECUs on a bench using small DC current 14v voltage adaptor.
Does the BMW scanner let you burn the full dump back or no?
it does have that option, yes.

it takes an hour or so to get the dump. if the thing errored tonight, i'll pull the ecu next time i park the car overnight somewhere i can pull the ecu and rig up a bench for this with a power supply, it's entirely possible that disconnecting all the load stuff would've fixed that. i'll see when i get home.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #278
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

Ecu needs to have a clean solid 14v without noise to make a clean dump/reflash. Also does that scanner have ability to recalculate the checksum when burning new partial flash?

Last edited by HakenTT; 02-03-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #279
yetieater

My Ride: '03 330i
I'm glad that you guys are still following up on this issue with such vigor. After seeing an older thread die down (Shark Injector guy started running his mouth), I will surely follow this one and hope for some good progress. Best of luck to everyone working on ECU programming in this new year.
yetieater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #280
gurov

http://gurov.us/bmw_scanner/DME_0000...-00-proper.bin

this is the proper file that was read without errors.

i've got the ecu out right now and i'm going to rig it up on a bench here. seems i can only read memory in the car. i'll see if the options change when the thing is out of the car and powered with higher voltage than what's in the car.

Tags
custom tuning, dme tuning, flashing, kwp2000