E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #321
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
BMW E46 is fine automobile, expecialy 330 models. There is more to the car than just raw power and 1/4 mile performance. I enjoy my E46 in bone stock configuration, little more nice quality bolt on upgrades and mild ecu tune won't hurt the fun factor, so that is my goal. If I am able to tune the MS43 slightly for upgraded exhaust system and intake that will make the car slightly better that would be big improvement to me.
I used to have 300zx twinturbo and I dumped so much money into it, made 600 horsepower at the wheel, did high 11s at the 1/4 mile track, so I understand all of the turbo stuff people try to do to E46 but in my opinion it is not practical at all.
Gurov I see you will have MS3, turbo upgrade, this and that... fact is we have crap fuel in the US, 91 octane fuel is piss fuel, you won't be able to boost much, you would ping, pistons will get damaged, head gasket will give out.
HakenTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #322
gurov

My Ride: 2004 325XI Turbo
Send a message via AIM to gurov Send a message via MSN to gurov
Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
BMW E46 is fine automobile, expecialy 330 models. There is more to the car than just raw power and 1/4 mile performance. I enjoy my E46 in bone stock configuration, little more nice quality bolt on upgrades and mild ecu tune won't hurt the fun factor, so that is my goal. If I am able to tune the MS43 slightly for upgraded exhaust system and intake that will make the car slightly better that would be big improvement to me.
I used to have 300zx twinturbo and I dumped so much money into it, made 600 horsepower at the wheel, did high 11s at the 1/4 mile track, so I understand all of the turbo stuff people try to do to E46 but in my opinion it is not practical at all.
Gurov I see you will have MS3, turbo upgrade, this and that... fact is we have crap fuel in the US, 91 octane fuel is piss fuel, you won't be able to boost much, you would ping, pistons will get damaged, head gasket will give out.
i've put 8 psi into the engine perfectly fine, this makes the transmission slip, so i've backed it down to wastegate for now.

i have knock management in addition to the MS3. my knock management is j&s ultrasafeguard, it only retards the knocking cylinder, so power is not lost but safety is attained. it does not simply alert me, it retards the timing. i have done some unthinkable things under the protection of j&s that would normally have damaged an engine, but did nothing because that safeguard was there (10 psi into an engine with 15:1 afr ? sure why not ? just take out 10 degrees out of all the cylinders, no damage done.).

http://jandsafeguard.com - not a single vehicle that's been modified with an aftermarket turbo should go without this. you can fill up the car with crap gas and it won't blow anything up.

10.5:1 compression is nothing special with proper timing and proper fueling. plenty of cars with turbochargers do this. again, no magic here.

i also only use sunoco 93 octane.

if things get worse with fuel quality, i will install a water injection kit.

my car drives very well, and is fun on the highway, especially with a stiffer automatic transmission management that i can achieve with megashift.

enough of me justifying what i do with my own cars to other people i do not know.

back on topic.

in my 512kb bin file vs 64k file, the 64k file is actually located at 0x70000 going all the way to the end, 65535 bytes. which is consistent with what andy was showing in his IDA PRO tutorials.

i'm going to pick up IDA PRO here, and see if i can poke around at it, following his examples.
2004 SE-R SpecV turbo - megasquirt3 j&s ultrasafeguard - SOLD
gurov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #323
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

Quote:
in my 512kb bin file vs 64k file, the 64k file is actually located at 0x70000 going all the way to the end, 65535 bytes. which is consistent with what andy was showing in his IDA PRO tutorials.
It is already been discovered where the data starts, where the data ends, and where and what the maps are, so doing that you will just waste your time. You buy expensive newest version of WinOls and then you buy Damos plugin for MS43 and it will display everything, all the maps and constants. Thats what pro tuners do. Thats what AAutowerke does, they use winols. WinOls bought information from Siemens thats why the software is crazy expensive. The cracked version of WinOls is not good.

I had a water injection my 300zx also, it helps but it reduces the power because it kills kinetic energy. So what if you have 400hp E46, the guy with the turbo civic honda will smoke you and then you won't feel good. I heard 2011 BMW line is coming out with turbo designed engines making raw power, maybe you should wait few years and do an engine swap. M54 just can't take the boost, aluminum block sucks for boost.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #324
gurov

My Ride: 2004 325XI Turbo
Send a message via AIM to gurov Send a message via MSN to gurov
Quote:
It is already been discovered where the data starts, where the data ends, and where and what the maps are, so doing that you will just waste your time. You buy expensive newest version of WinOls and then you buy Damos plugin for MS43 and it will display everything, all the maps and constants. Thats what pro tuners do. Thats what AAutowerke does, they use winols. WinOls bought information from Siemens thats why the software is crazy expensive. The cracked version of WinOls is not good.

I had a water injection my 300zx also, it helps but it reduces the power because it kills kinetic energy. So what if you have 400hp E46, the guy with the turbo civic honda will smoke you and then you won't feel good. I heard 2011 BMW line is coming out with turbo designed engines making raw power, maybe you should wait few years and do an engine swap. M54 just can't take the boost, aluminum block sucks for boost.
the pro-tuners didn't reach that conclusion themselves, they're just plugging away at numbers without knowing the behind the scenes. dunno about you, but i like to know what the behind the scenes is. being able to reverse engineer these things is the kind of **** i would do for fun.

aluminum holds boost fine. my 2.5 liter sentra has seen 20-25 psi juuuust fine, yes iron is better, but aluminum is fine if you don't get too crazy and knock yourself into oblivion (see j&s if you do). too much water will kill off kinetic energy, which is why that needs tuning. reducing carbon hotspots, and cooling things down will let you run more boost, more timing, etc.

if you still believe otherwise, you can tell world war 2 pilots that depended on water injection in their supercharged engines to double the power that they're all ****ed up.

also, comparing honda to a turbo e46 is stupid. my sentra is faster than the bmw, and would probably handle better, 6 speed + LSD + huge brembo brakes from the factory + lots of boost. and it sure is a hell of a lot more rare than the e46. that ain't the point. i'm not looking to make the e46 my race car. i've got the supra and the sentra for that. it's simply for a comfy car i can drive anywhere, be low key, and have heated leather seats, nice non-hacked up sound system, and a bit more class than driving a sentra.

if you're looking to "smoke honda kids with turbos" you're in the wrong car, at the end of the race, you're still driving a bmw and he's driving a honda. quarter mile times and horsepower numbers should not define what you want to do with a car.
2004 SE-R SpecV turbo - megasquirt3 j&s ultrasafeguard - SOLD

Last edited by gurov; 02-07-2011 at 04:46 PM.
gurov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #325
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Cmon guys stop arguing over this and get mapping
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #326
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
Cmon guys stop arguing over this and get mapping
You got MS42, it is not going to help me here. Gurov is megasquirt guy who asked me to make him a XDF for his MS43 ecu that he is not using anymore. So I am still at square one with this.
Until I get more people willing to share their stock and comercialy tuned files and that actually still have their MS43 runing on the car and are willing to test and experiment,

I've tried desoldering my spare MS43 ecu and I damaged it. The electronics are so sensative I don't recommend it.

Last edited by HakenTT; 02-18-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #327
SKIPPY PB

My Ride: YZ125
I haven't read the entire thread but there is some really good info in here. Currently the car im going to be attempting to tune is an OBDII 97 M3. I was planning on picking up a KWP2000+ soon but it looks like they all come from china and I cant just go to bestbuy, circuit city or wallyworld for one. BULLSHIT!

Anyway I have TunerPro RT on my comp from awhile back. Would this program be compatible with either the KWP2000+ or a Galletto 1260.

By the way would anyone be willing to send me a copy of a stock .Bin for a 96-99 M3 but it could be anything reallly since its for the purpose of playing around and getting to know the program better.

Some other quick questions. A US 97 M3 is MS42 right? In another thread someone said the s52 wasn't supported by KWP2000+ and that you had to use the 2.8L M52 file instead. Maybe that was an old isue.

EDIT: Ive also got two 413 (I gotta check) OBDI ECUs from E36s aswell to play with.
SKIPPY PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #328
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPPY PB View Post
I haven't read the entire thread but there is some really good info in here. Currently the car im going to be attempting to tune is an OBDII 97 M3. I was planning on picking up a KWP2000+ soon but it looks like they all come from china and I cant just go to bestbuy, circuit city or wallyworld for one. BULLSHIT!

Anyway I have TunerPro RT on my comp from awhile back. Would this program be compatible with either the KWP2000+ or a Galletto 1260.

By the way would anyone be willing to send me a copy of a stock .Bin for a 96-99 M3 but it could be anything reallly since its for the purpose of playing around and getting to know the program better.

Some other quick questions. A US 97 M3 is MS42 right? In another thread someone said the s52 wasn't supported by KWP2000+ and that you had to use the 2.8L M52 file instead. Maybe that was an old isue.

EDIT: Ive also got two 413 (I gotta check) OBDI ECUs from E36s aswell to play with.
I thought the e36 M3 used MS41.1 ?
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #329
SuperYeti

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325ci
Talking

Quote:
You got MS42, it is not going to help me here. Gurov is megasquirt guy who asked me to make him a XDF for his MS43 ecu that he is not using anymore. So I am still at square one with this.
Until I get more people willing to share their stock and comercialy tuned files and that actually still have their MS43 runing on the car and are willing to test and experiment,

I've tried desoldering my spare MS43 ecu and I damaged it. The electronics are so sensative I don't recommend it.
Hey HakenTT. I've just finished reading through the thread and would like to contribute. I drive a 2002 325ci, Can you confirm, I should have a MS43 in it?Exactly what tools/software do i need, and where did you get them? I'm also a C/C++/C#/ASM/(you get the idea) programmer and have done lots of machine code and byte code work in the past on other stuff. Id love to learn a bit more, and also contribute if i can to GUI's etc. Let me know what i need, and what i can do to help. My car is currently stock, and would love to see what i can do to play with it.
SuperYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #330
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

I am still experimenting. Maybe if I could get more people to read their stock file then read their tuned file, I could make something work but so far no one has contributed.

All MS ecus from MS41 to MS43 can be socketed and chip can be tuned outside the dme, so that there is no need for flashing tools, just eprom programmer.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1583588
Old 06-20-2011, 03:20 AM   #331
Hageee

My Ride: E46 330xiA
Send a message via ICQ to Hageee
And if you want to rev your engine over 6500 RPM with a steptronic gm tranny, then you can flash the 330i ZHP-Software. After that the tranny can rev to 6850 RPM.
Hageee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:38 AM   #332
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
Quote:
I am still experimenting. Maybe if I could get more people to read their stock file then read their tuned file, I could make something work but so far no one has contributed.
I can just provide you my 512kb stock file if that helps?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hageee View Post
And if you want to rev your engine over 6500 RPM with a steptronic gm tranny, then you can flash the 330i ZHP-Software. After that the tranny can rev to 6850 RPM.
so the zhp never came with the zf 5hp19?
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #333
forcefedvw

My Ride: 03' Z4 '00 VW
tunedbypsi.com has classes on tuning contact them.

Innovative Performance

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Innova...609652?sk=info
2JZ-GTE Conversions & GM LS-Engine Conversions
forcefedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:05 AM   #334
gisqc

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
MS45 file is very similar to MS43, this means that I can do the same thing for MS45 if I hade support.

MS41, MS50, MSS54, MSS50, are even more easy and simple.
Can you explain why those ECU are easier and simplier than the two aboves?

I will try to get the files from a stock MSS54 and the same shark injector flashed MSS54.

It would be fun to define the maps on that ECU but the main thing I'd like to be able to do is perform a EWS delete and be able to run it as "standalone" for a race car. The pricetag on this modification is well beyond what people charge for a simple tune! I know it also requires physical modification on the board, but I will keep searching for more info on the subject and share it all here!

Last edited by gisqc; 08-19-2011 at 07:07 AM.
gisqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #335
myOwnM3

My Ride: 00 S4
I failed my emission inspection. I guess my SC tune turns off the catalyst and O2 sensor. Is there a way to turn these on? Also, would just turning on these sensor require to revamp the whole tune? I have about 10 days to pass or else I cant drive the car legally.
myOwnM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #336
jc179

My Ride: 2004-325xi,87-5000TQ
Hi

Just a question for this discussion directed more at HakenTT and raymond3080, but I'd welcome any input from anyone.

I am working on getting a second DME working with my current car to try some changes to maps and loading, etc . I know there is a am29f400bb flash, which I have unsoldered copied, and plan to flash to the 2nd hand MS43 dme I have. *BUT* Upon inspection of the MS43 DME I noticed a small eeprom - 93c86. The question is has anyone uncovered what the purpose of this one is? I am hopeful maybe it contains the information for 12 keys and DME / EWS code? Essentially allowing you to recode that 2nd DME, and change between the two with a DME / EWS alignment in Inpa, perhaps even without the need to copy the am29f400bb?

thanks

Jonathan

Last edited by jc179; 08-26-2011 at 11:27 AM.
jc179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #337
Hageee

My Ride: E46 330xiA
Send a message via ICQ to Hageee
Is there a way to reflash the GS20 Gearbox Module?

I've flashed my two ones with all aviable software from bmw (owning a e46 330xi '04 with gm tranny) and flashed a e39 530i software, tested - shifts are soft ... to soft, flashed a e46 330i zhp software, checked and noteiced, that shifts are harder and rev-limiteris disabled at the tranny, reflashed my ecu with a customized software and rev-limiter @ 7000 RPM, tranny shifting @ 7000 :o ...

but i want to change some tranny related settings, like main pressure and torque converter clutch
Hageee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #338
s54e36

My Ride: e36 M3
I have a 64k file, got with galletto, from an MSS54 that allows the engine to run in an e36. Anyone interested?
s54e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #339
gisqc

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by s54e36 View Post
I have a 64k file, got with galletto, from an MSS54 that allows the engine to run in an e36. Anyone interested?
I think people would be all out if it runs in an E36 without EWS stuff, is that the case? If so, was it software only or the ecm had to be physicly modified to?
gisqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #340
s54e36

My Ride: e36 M3
I have two. Both don't use EWS, one is a modified DME and the other just has the jumper mod. I would like some help trying to make a copy of the DME for a backup.
s54e36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom tuning, dme tuning, flashing, kwp2000