E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #441
jM2.me

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo54 View Post
Thank you for posting, but the archive you've posted appears to be the same one that I've previously downloaded (along with a huge array of other "damos" files) from digital-kaos.

I believe it is misnamed ".A2L" and is not an actual A2L file, thus can't be opened by an editor designed specifically for that purpose.

I don't doubt that file is indeed a definition/damos/description file, but it isn't an A2L in ASAP2 format.

Any software engineers here able to identify what format that file is in?
Not sure how useful this might be.

In A2L file there is line that says CPU is SIEMENS 80C167 CR.
Somehow I got to this page http://nefariousmotorsports.com/foru...ic=359.0title=
Quote:
I'm new to all this, so maybe this can help others like me.

Download the uVision Demo... https://www.keil.com/demo/eval/c166.htm

Download HxD Hex editor... http://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD

Load your ME7 BIN file in HxD then File>Export>32 Bit Intel HEX (name & save it appropriately)

Run uVision selecting C167xx as your target device (you can also change this later in Edit>Config)

Start the debugger Debug>Start/Stop Debug session.

In the disassemby window, right click and "Load Hex or Object File".

Browse to and select your Intel hex file and voila.

You can check the instruction set here http://www.keil.com/dd/chip/2906.htm.
Following the instructions I was able to get some object code. However, it is beyond what was thought to me in college class.
jM2.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #442
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo54 View Post
Thank you for posting, but the archive you've posted appears to be the same one that I've previously downloaded (along with a huge array of other "damos" files) from digital-kaos.

I believe it is misnamed ".A2L" and is not an actual A2L file, thus can't be opened by an editor designed specifically for that purpose.

I don't doubt that file is indeed a definition/damos/description file, but it isn't an A2L in ASAP2 format.

Any software engineers here able to identify what format that file is in?
correct, its the only one i found in the last 2 years and im collecting pretty everything i get my hands on

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #443
turbo54

My Ride: Whatever runs
Ok gang, I need some help from you.

Background:

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, There are 2 key components to a calibration; the .A2L file and the .S19 (aka .hex). The A2L is the blank template and the S19 fills it in with calibratable values. Whenever the software engineers make a change to the embedded software and then recompile a new A2L, the blank spaces move around a little, so the old S19 doesn't populate the A2L in the correct locations - and that don't work too good. :-)

What that means to us:

We need to know how many "versions" of the embedded software there were over the years for the MS43 from 2001-2005 325i and 330i vehicles. Each new version of the code means a new A2L, and another parsing of the template.

I'd LOVE to believe there is just one - but I don't.

Here's what I need from you/someone:

What does the number "43250010" mean? Is that a calibration part number? Is it from BMW, or did someone make that up somewhere down the line?

If it is a calibration part number from BMW, is it written on the engine controller?

What other vehicle packages share this same calibration?
turbo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #444
turbo54

My Ride: Whatever runs
Another question:

I was fully expecting the names of the calibratable parameters to be German abbreviations.

But they're not. That makes me question if this calibration is even FOR a BMW...?

The A2L I'm looking through is certainly not a pieced together "description" file somebody used WinOLS or similar to build, it is VERY VERY thorough and has at least 65000 parameters in it. It is also certainly for a 6 cylinder engine.

Can anybody confirm or deny that MS43 was calibrated with English variable names? I know for SURE that Audi, Porsche and Mercedes use German.
turbo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #445
daniel_f.

what do you refer to? te one i posted? if so, it is indeed for M54B30 engine.

there were several software revisions over the years for each M54 engine.

the most important ones for B30 are: 430037, 430055, 430056, 430066, 430069

next to them, there are the same numbers of version for B25 and B22. each of the version has some slight offset to the other.

the posted files isnt perfect and i doubt it is from bmw directly.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:37 AM   #446
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
pages within word

any help is highly appreciated. as long as you dont end up like Hakenkreutz, whos selling instead of contributing.
I am not german so I don't believe in german man called Karl Marx nor his ideology. I am american and I like to get rewarded for my hard work.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:20 AM   #447
96Beatz!

My Ride: '99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
I am not german so I don't believe in german man called Karl Marx nor his ideology. I am american and I like to get rewarded for my hard work.
been reading through all the pages, seems i asked this very same question myself on this forum and wondered why open discussion wasn't encouraged..
posted by me on another thread:
"been trying to get into a sc kit myself.. i just have a question about the ecu /software..
by reflashing the original ecu, does that mean that our N/A cars can use our stock ecu and account for boost? if that is correct, than what type of software, what program, what cable (tactrix, for example) is used for reflashing?? and what parameters? fuel maps? ignition timing? master templates? ...
not sure if you can answer these, but would be helpful..
The reason i ask is because when i had my 3g eclipse 4cyl, we had to either use e-manage software (piggy back), or a stock turbo'ed ecu from an EVO, because our stock ecu's couldn't account for boost. we were able to use a program called ecuFlash 1.29, and tuned the stock ecu until we couldn't do much more unless we went FI, and then we used that same program and tuned again and again after to our liking... Thanks! "

there was a guy named "BLUERS" at the club3g forums that did the hex def from scratch, and got all the maps... for free!!! and quick!.. maybe he's still around to take a look at ours...

this should be free! keep it going peeps!

Last edited by 96Beatz!; 10-25-2013 at 03:21 AM.
96Beatz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:09 AM   #448
komandos

My Ride: bmw 320xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
I bought a spare ecu but I can't use it because of the EWS. What I did now is desoldered the chip from my spare ecu, I will solder a socket so that the chip can be removed easely and reprogrammed, this way It would be cheaper than to deal with dieler.

This is how a programmer and ecu look like, found this photo on internet, MS43 ecu looks intentical

I know it is easier than MS43, I don't know much about hardware swap, those are some big questions.
hello my friends. i'm reading your posts and finally are you have success with used DME ms43 and EWS3 aligment? if i unsolder the am29f400bb from my dme and do a copy with williem programer to other blank am29f400bb eprom, and solder the copy to the used DME, the used dme will work with my car? that is my question thanks best regards .
komandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #449
modified

My Ride: bmw
Hi,i have a question about tuning bmw softvare.
For example e46 328i...i would mount m3 itbs on it and m3 exhaust manifold,can i tune the car software myself?
I dont want to pay the tuners because they are wery expencive.
Txn for all the answers.
modified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #450
jdjg

My Ride: e39, m52tub30
Quote:
Originally Posted by modified View Post
For example e46 328i...i would mount m3 itbs on it and m3 exhaust manifold,can i tune the car software myself?
Txn for all the answers.
no you cant, M3 fly by wire throttle and your 328i use the conventional throttle cable....

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
jdjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #451
modified

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjg View Post
no you cant, M3 fly by wire throttle and your 328i use the conventional throttle cable....

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I dont worry about that...that can be modified...
Fist i need info about software tuning..
Old 01-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #452
daemonicus

My Ride: batmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by modified View Post
Txn for all the answers.
someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think the m3 manifold can be fitted to a M54 head.

i believe there's a thread on here somewhere from a guy overseas who made a flange so that he could run the stock M3 ITBs on his M54. can't find it right now but i know i've seen it. might be a good place to start.
daemonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:36 AM   #453
karitammi

My Ride: 325 (E46) Cabrio
^isn't 328 M52 engine? I belive you can fit older I6 engine (M50?) manifold on it and gain some power. Power is gained without ECU tuning as engine breaths better and ECU compensates it adding more fuel.
karitammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:17 AM   #454
autospeed_01

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
The 328 (e46) has the m52tu which is pretty much a m54 (d-shaped intake ports), and the only bolt on manifold swap is the intake from the 330. The 328 (e36) was the m52 which benefited from the m50 intake manifold swap that you mentioned. The 328 (e46) does have a cable from the pedal to the throttle body, but it physically does not move the throttle plate, it's connected to a sensor which then tells the electric motor to open/close the throttle, it was the first gen of the drive by wire, later iterations got rid of the cable altogether.

As for the e46 m3 itb's they're not a bolt on swap, it can be done but with a custom flange (adapter plate), also if I'm not mistaken, there's clearance issues with the oil filter housing as well. The car with the itb's mentioned before was Jimmy Oberg's before he went the turbo route. If you search it up I'm sure you'll find it.

Last edited by autospeed_01; 01-08-2014 at 01:21 AM.
autospeed_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:51 AM   #455
daniel_f.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=728292

i wonder why he gave up...

Old 01-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #456
modified

I know that this isnt direct bolt on..im not woried about that...its not had to make adapter plates ...S50 itb are smaller than s54...everybody in my country on bmw forum told me that i have to tune ecu...
Old 01-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #457
modified

I had complet s50 intake with airbox all complete and adapter plates and i had to sell it for 280e..life is a bitch.

Last edited by modified; 01-08-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:27 PM   #458
komandos

My Ride: bmw 320xi
hello my friends. my name is kire i'm from macedonia. i'm experimenting with DME. i unsoldered am29f400 from speared dme but after that the dme wont work. i think i burn the eprom . are you have read file from am29f400 with programmer from 7511570 5WK90012. i have programmer and i like to continue with my experiment, but i need this file to clone this chip and to work. thanks best regards.
komandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #459
diablorojo

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Has anyone found an effective solution to tuning the (BMW 330) MS45 software? I have tried several picky backs, none have worked. Is there a simple system or standalone system? I am aware of ProEfi but have not come across any real success stories for the MS45 software. I have seen some rather pricey stadalones but they dont play well with certain BMW features. PLEASEHELP!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #460
mdrobnak

My Ride: 04 330i SMG TT STG1
You are in a lonely spot with the MS45 (like me) unfortunately.

ProEFI will work fine for manual transmission.

Jury is still out on SSG.

Edit: Of course the other option is to work with a shop that Nick G will partner with, for a custom tune...He does very well with the MS45.

2004 330i with Technique Tuning Stage 1 Kit, South Bend Stage 3 Clutch, Walbro 400 Fuel Pump, Aeromotive FPR, Modified Return Lines, E36 Fuel Filter, Ethanol Content Sensor, 550i Clutch Actuator.
93 Octane - 8.5 PSI : 309RWHP on a Superflow / 3XXRWHP on a DynoJet
E85 - ? PSI : ???RWHP on a DynoJet
First SSG MoTeC M150 Powered 330

Last edited by mdrobnak; 02-24-2014 at 06:00 PM.
mdrobnak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom tuning, dme tuning, flashing, kwp2000