E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
chuckles

My Ride: 330ci
difference in DINAN intakes 330ci

Anybody know the difference of the two intakes that DINAN made for the 330ci. They have the one that's CF and not for sale anymore and then the newer one on their site. What's the difference anyone know? thanks

MODS:STAGE 3 TECHNIK SUPERCHARGER, H&R COILOVERS, DINAN FRONT STRUT, P46's, UUC TSE3 EXHAUST, UUC SWAYS, MRR 18in STAGGERED, M-TECH II FRONT, ALPINE IDA-X100, 6.5 JL XR COMPONENTS, 5.25 JL XR, ROCKFORD FOSGATE T400-4, ROCKFORD FOSGATE P300-1, ROCKFORD FOSGATE 12IN SHALLOW SUB, SMOKED CORNERS & SIDES & TAILS
chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
The old intake was a snorkel/tubular style with a cone filter. The new design replaces the lid and modifies the stock air box to fit a large oval filter. I've always assumed the change resulted from the few reports of hydrolocked engines associated with the snorkel.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
chuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
The old intake was a snorkel/tubular style with a cone filter. The new design replaces the lid and modifies the stock air box to fit a large oval filter. I've always assumed the change resulted from the few reports of hydrolocked engines associated with the snorkel.
thanks was wondering which is better, the older cf one is on sale in the classifieds by a member an like it but I'm sure DINAN had their reaso for switching

MODS:STAGE 3 TECHNIK SUPERCHARGER, H&R COILOVERS, DINAN FRONT STRUT, P46's, UUC TSE3 EXHAUST, UUC SWAYS, MRR 18in STAGGERED, M-TECH II FRONT, ALPINE IDA-X100, 6.5 JL XR COMPONENTS, 5.25 JL XR, ROCKFORD FOSGATE T400-4, ROCKFORD FOSGATE P300-1, ROCKFORD FOSGATE 12IN SHALLOW SUB, SMOKED CORNERS & SIDES & TAILS
Old 04-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
TxZHP04

You're not going to see much gain from either intake. Regardless, I would favor the newer style since it's not prone to water ingestion like the discontinued model.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
Old 04-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
guero13tx

My Ride: 2001 330ci Dinan S1
have the dinan snorkel style intake. i only had one problem with it but the water was DEEP i mean DEEP. combination of foggy windows,heavy rain, and poor judgment on my part. dont wanna get in to too many details. i would think the car would have staled anyway even if i had a box style intake cause like i said that water was DEEP and they have that air pick up sucking air from the bottom front and i think the barke vent ports( read the discription on the dinan site it talks about where it gets air from) but i drove it in hard rain on city roads and highway at high and low speeds and besides that one time nver had a problem with it. i was sweating bullets for the 15 mins it took the car to act normal again
guero13tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
guero13tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles View Post
thanks was wondering which is better, the older cf one is on sale in the classifieds by a member an like it but I'm sure DINAN had their reaso for switching
i saw that intake too. i PMd him but i guess he sold it or dosent wanna ship. i want that tube i wanna start dressing up the engine and i think that would be a good start.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by guero13tx View Post
have the dinan snorkel style intake. i only had one problem with it but the water was DEEP i mean DEEP. combination of foggy windows,heavy rain, and poor judgment on my part. dont wanna get in to too many details. i would think the car would have staled anyway even if i had a box style intake cause like i said that water was DEEP and they have that air pick up sucking air from the bottom front and i think the barke vent ports( read the discription on the dinan site it talks about where it gets air from) but i drove it in hard rain on city roads and highway at high and low speeds and besides that one time nver had a problem with it. i was sweating bullets for the 15 mins it took the car to act normal again
Dinan's new intake does draw extra air from the brake duct but it also draws air from behind the kidney grills and headlight like stock meaning it won't hydrolock (it'll draw air before water... ever had a hole in a drinking straw?).

It only takes once for things to get very expensive. If you can get comparable performance from the new design, why incur the risk (however slight) associated with the snorkel?

I personally prefer to use an AFE Pro Dry drop in panel filter in the stock air box but I also don't care how much CF is under the hood.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
guero13tx

check this out. i called dinan to see about getting the air box insteed of the snorkel. we talked for a while and he talked me into sticking to what i have. he said that they both draw air from the dame place and that the box has just as much chance of hydrolocking as the snorkel. i had my card in had ready to pay for the box( cause i couldnt find it here or ebay) thats what the rep said and i hardly ever get talked out of buying stuff by a sales person. im still looking for the box just for pice of mind. but the problem is that when you buy these used alot of time they will just offer the box and not the ducts because they dont have the stock ducts any more or are to lazy to take them out.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #9
xdmikey

My Ride: e46 cabrio
not to hijack but, TxZHP04, are you against the dinan stuff for price reasons or safety? reason i ask is i got a deal on a dinan(new style), but am wondering if i'm not better w/a flat panel(drop in). i have a 3.46 coming in for install after my factory warranty expires in two weeks!
what do you think?
michael
xdmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
TxZHP04

This is purely my opinion and many will disagree so I'll state it but I won't debate it. To each their own....

If an intake made 30 hp on our cars, it might be worth a little additional risk. Primary risks being MAF contamination from an oiled filter and hydrolocking the motor when driving through deep water (more of an issue with snorkel type intakes). You'd think a little common sense while driving would eliminate the water ingestion issue but yet it still happens. Personally, I'll give up the extra ~5 hp for a little extra piece of mind and reliability. As for price, the retail pricing on the better intakes isn't worth it for 5 hp in my opinion. Of course there are plenty of people willing to shell out big bucks just to make their car sound different.

You really have to decide why you want an intake and do your own cost/benefit/risk analysis. If there was a "right" answer, this wouldn't be the subject of endless discussion.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #11
chuckles

Thanks 4 the feedback everyone...appreciate it...