E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #21
tradingflare

My Ride: needs a mechanic
Oil Separator...in my opinion, the weakest thing on a BMW in a cold-climate region.
***I can't change my own oil, yet for some reason, my time spent on this forum has taught me about nearly every mechanical part on the car. I can talk to you about belts/pulleys, alternators, battery, Secondary Air Pumps, belt tensioners, you name it. Yet, I have no tools or mechanical abilities**
****Again, ignore my posts above...idiot speaking****
tradingflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:02 AM   #22
elratrero69

My Ride: '07 335xi
Bought mine at 38,000 has 107,

altenator, battery, belts, pulley, expansion tank, 4 brakes and pads, brake sensor, stabalizer links, control arms, bushings, tie rods, both axles, alot of tires, rear and front differential oil, power steering oil, sparkplugs and ignition coils

now im looking into how to change the transmission oil
Old 04-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #23
chsu74

My Ride: 550XI,993TT,GL320
Bought mine new now with 111K miles.
3 aux cooling fan module.
1 complete brake job.
3rd water pumps
1 CV boot
control arms
1 Xenon light
various light bulbs
2 belt tenisoners
New manual transmission fluid and still have the 5th gear stick during winter until engine gets warm. Working with it but very annoying.
filters.
chsu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #24
Vade46!!!

My Ride: '03 AW 325xi
I'm the 3rd owner of mine.....I got it with around 64k on it. Now I have about 71k. I got the car from a relative who bought it Certified Pre-Owned with 39k and a 6yr/100k warranty. Im not sure what was done to the car before I got it, but with only a few months left on the warranty when I got it I was taking it to the dealer like twice a month trying to get everything that I could replaced. Here is everything they did under warranty during that period.....

-Complete rear brakes. Pads and Rotors
-Oil Change
-Wiper Blades
-Alternator Belt
-A/C Belt
-Cig Lighter Fuse
-Drivers Front Window Regulator
-New Valve Cover Gasket and Grommets (was leaking pretty bad)
-New Hazard Lights and Central Door Locking Switch
-New Rear Windshield Glass (A $913.11 Part) The Defroster Grids had shorted out. Only a few "lines" were working and I got static in the Radio when it was turned on.

As of last month, my warranty is no longer good.....so hopefully not much goes wrong from here. I was a quart low on oil last week....I guess its burning it b/c I don't see any leaks. In a few thousand miles I'll be due for an oil change and a reccomended 4 wheel alignment, so I'll have the dealer tech look everything over again at that point. I was trying to get a front brake job while under warranty because it feels like the rotors are warped, but they kept telling me that the pads had plenty of meat on them so they wouldn't do it.

Last edited by Vade46!!!; 04-11-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Vade46!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #25
gmoney718

My Ride: 2001 325XI
Saw this old thread from April, felt like adding on...

2001 XI - Bought w/ 95k miles, 20 months later 135k + miles...

So far what I've had to replace...

Regulator switch or temp control switch... (I dont remember the name of the part, it fixed the heat/ac from pulsating air) Cant remember Lets move on...
Gas Filter
Spark Plugs
Valve Cover Gasket
T-stat w/ some hoses
Expansion Tank w/ hoses
Brake Light Switch
Water Pump
Several Oil changes (every 6k or so)
- Air Filter
- Cabin Air Filter
Axle Boots (Front Driver Side)
All Brake Pad w/ Sensors
All Rotors
Crank Case Vent Valve
I'm sure there's more, can't remember at this time...

Still needs to be done...

All 4 Window regulators
Belt tensioner
Idler pulley
Oil Filter housing (Have been losing a quart of oil every 800-1000 miles or so. Mechanic just found a leak in this housing. Hopefully this fixes the problem.)
All 4 shocks and springs
Control Arm bushings
Motor Mounts
New tires w/ balance and alignment

I love my baby... 1st BMW, will never buy another make again... (Unless you're talking Lambo, Ferrari, Maserati, 911 Turbonious, etc.. That's a different story... yesssirrr)
gmoney718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:40 AM   #26
ZemogFC3S

My Ride: '02 330xi
'02 330xi. Bought at 66k miles now at 90k.

- Tensioner pulley
- Waterpump, thermostat
- Passenger-side window regulator
- FCABs
- brakes and rotors all around
- expansion tank just cracked last week
- Transmission oil change
- Spark plugs
Old 11-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #27
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
2002 - 325xi

Bought in Sept with 94,300 miles, now has 97,300 miles.

Maintenance Work done so far:
Front Control Arm Bushings
All driveline fluids
Brakes with Akibono pads
Brake Fluid - ATE Super Blue
H&R Coilover Kit
DDM P46 HID conversion
18" CSL wheels
Door/Window weather strip clean and condition
Alignment

To do in the next 7,000 miles:
-Oil Change
-Coolant system overhaul
-Replace front A pillars due to sagging fabric
-Diagnose minor power steering leak/weep

Thankfully, the front CV boots are all in good condition but monitoring regularly.
Mark M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #28
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Bought at 60K. Now has 90K:

Control arms, ball joints, bushings $700 installed
Both front axles CPO
Rear decklid handle $75 part only
Rear springs CPO
RTABs $120 installed Powerflex
Thermostat CPO
Waterpump (was on its way out so i did the whole cooling system) ~$350 w/stewart pump
Both front window regulators CPO
Power steering hoses CPO
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #29
Podman
Banned

My Ride: BMW
Looks like CV joint maintenance is the biggest differentiator.

I've only ever known one person who owned an Xi and his CV joints puked their guts too.

Looks like Subaru and Audi are still safe in the lead for AWD technology.
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #30
wat3rbug

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325 xi
2002 xi bought with 37k. It has 85k now. Replaced 2 window regulators. Replaced CV boots on front axles at 40k. 43k replaced bad alternator. Windshield wiper fluid pump, and no other corrective maintenance. It looks like I may replacing the business CD since it doesn't recognize either DICE now. Something happened to lock up the kbus. Other than that it is troublefree. Did the fix for the rear taillights.

Now it mostly sits in the driveway except on weekends and Friday nights.

Things to fix, FCAB's, and another window regulator and the rip in the front bumper.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #31
mtccl

My Ride: 330XI, 944
Bought in March with 80K now has 93K

Big item was the alternator. Just went one day.

Oil Change
Cabin Filter
Fuel Filter (hesitation and miss gone)
Air Filter
Tires

Last edited by mtccl; 11-12-2009 at 02:13 PM.
mtccl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #32
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podman View Post
Looks like CV joint maintenance is the biggest differentiator.

I've only ever known one person who owned an Xi and his CV joints puked their guts too.

Looks like Subaru and Audi are still safe in the lead for AWD technology.
Dude why are you even in this thread? My family has a passat 4motion and it's had 3 front axles replaced. I will take a fixed front/rear split over quattro or subaru any day of the week. It's more predictable in all conditions.

Congratulations, you know someone that has an xi.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #33
creep4862

My Ride: BMW 323i
Since you are from MN then I would suggest checking your coil springs, they tend to rust out and break at the very bottom coil, because of all the salt on the snowy MN roads that gets there and corrodes the metal....
creep4862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #34
My325XI

My Ride: 03 325XI Sprt Prem
73K now, had it since 40K. Front CV's, belts, thermostat.

2003 325XI 5-speed ZSP ZPP
My325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:16 PM   #35
longress

My Ride: 2002 330XI
2002 330xi, bought in 2005 with 65,000 now has 93,000:

Front brakes
both outer front CV boots
belts
fuel, air, and cabin filters
plugs
lower intake boot
3 or 4 brake bulbs
Flushed coolant
several oil changes
had driver front seat leather redone
FSR
Battery
windshield
tires
changed stereo HU to newer business CD
Sirius module with changer daisy cable

Need
FCAB
Oil seperator valve
another new windshield
passenger front window regulator
longress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:47 PM   #36
JFern

My Ride: 06 ZHPCi
Both audi quattro and benz 4matic cars require regular cv boot change, which is a minor repair considering what you're facing when you ignore it.

I was skeptical of going to an awd BMW coming from a regular rwd one, but ive found that other than keeping up with the cv boots, there are no other extra expenses unique to the xi.

My xi has 164,000 miles, original clutch, just changed the original cv boots at around 154k, and did the intake cam sensor shortly after that.

It's been rock solid, more so than my e36 was at this mileage.
JFern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #37
elratrero69

My Ride: '07 335xi
Bought mine at 38,000 has 107,

altenator, battery, belts, pulley, expansion tank, 4 brakes and pads, brake sensor, stabalizer links, control arms, bushings, tie rods, both axles, alot of tires, rear and front differential oil, power steering oil, sparkplugs and ignition coils

now im looking into how to change the transmission oil

now Im at 123,

another set of control arms w/bushings, power steering pump, front strut mounts, rear shocks w/mounts, new amp for subs, new hoses for the secondary air pump, air filter, cabin filter, windshield wiper...
Old 11-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #38
olinjohnston

My Ride: Dakar 330Xi + ESS TS
Send a message via AIM to olinjohnston
All the bad stuff on my 330Xi happened under warranty. Apparently, it's lemon (Dakar) yellow for a reason...LOL

NOT including ANY routine maintenance like oil, filters, plugs, coolant/brake flushes, belts, or any of the 12 light bulbs that somehow burned out

Previous Owner:
41,000 miles: both xenon headlights replaced, washer pump replaced - it now leaks. 4 miles later, the transfer case had to be replaced! 25 miles after that, it was back for new seat belts in the front.
42,000 miles: it was back for it's third set of headlight washer nozzles (that still leak) and a third right xenon headlight (still wouldn't come back up during auto-level)
49,000 miles: it got a new sunroof assembly
55,000 miles: got new ignition coils per the recall.
59,000 miles: they finally replaced the lighting control unit to fix the headlights that ended up sagging when I bought it.

When it was at the dealer I purchased it from, they ended up replacing more seat belt buckles, the fan clutch (which seized and exploded the fan, sending all the blades through the hood/etc) and some miscellaneous things. This car was only 3 years old at this point and covered under the CPO warranty (thank god)

68,000 miles (owned it for 4 days): washer fluid tank empty due to a leak they said they couldn't find. Still unfixed to this day. The final stage resistor was replaced because the climate control was going nuts. Then they replaced the washer pump (again) to try and fix the leak. When I was driving, the drivers door popped open (while LOCKED) so they adjusted the striker plate. The airbag light was also on, and they diagnosed a faulty driver's airbag. I was VERY happy to get a brand new one with a fresh roundel! The tire pressure monitoring system also went crazy, but they assured me it just needed to be reset (which worked for 2 days)
70,000 miles replaced front control arm bushings that were blown out. Motor mounts were also done.
71,000 miles: The windshield wipers got stuck in the middle of the windshield while it was raining and would erractically work until they finally stopped halfway across when I pulled into the dealer. They replaced the motor.
72,000 miles: The alternator tensioner pulley failed. The door locks would also intermittently not operate. I had to use the key to open the door and I was locked INSIDE my car (I had to roll down the window, and use the key to manually unlock it from the outside) They said they couldn't duplicate my problem and this STILL happens every once in awhile. No fault codes. The (replaced) sunroof got jammed, so they lubricated it and told me it was fixed "for now." Also on this repair order was a rough idle issue that they said was normal (I suspected the VANOS).
76,000 miles: Replaced power steering lines and expansion tank
95,000 miles: Replaced badly leaking valve cover gasket

I'm probably forgetting some things...Remember, I skipped all the scheduled services etc, and anything at all related to the S/C (which went on at 76k)
Old 11-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #39
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
Whoa......that sounds like a car I would dump fast!!! There are wayyyy too man things going wrong with that machine.

So how did it happen to come by a dakar yellow paint job? Don't beleive that was available for the e46 cars?
Mark M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #40
olinjohnston

My Ride: Dakar 330Xi + ESS TS
Send a message via AIM to olinjohnston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
So how did it happen to come by a dakar yellow paint job? Don't beleive that was available for the e46 cars?
Special order paint color through BMW Individual