E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
MerflinFE

My Ride: 2001 330CI Coupe
How I beat the PO171 and PO174 codes

For reference I have a 2001 330Ci Auto-Coupe with just over 50k miles:

I wanted to share with some of you how I beat these codes. I have read on many of the posts on these that they come up and people say that can't figure them out and then the posts end up disappearing or becoming Zombies later on.

Both of these codes together told me that there was a lean condition through out the intake and exhaust system of the car. Only having one code would have made it harder to track down, but ultimately not impossible. Since the condition was in the whole system I started thinking about what was common to the whole system. The only thing I could think of was the vacuum system. The vacuum system would have allowed unmetered air in or out of the system depending on load causing ( in my case) the light to go on for a week or two and then go out for a day or two.

I started poking around in the engine bay after having a professional BMW place take a look and tell me what I already knew (it could be...this or that blah, blah, blah). I took all the covers off the engine and removed the panels off the firewall ( took about 5 minuets with a T20 screwdriver and 10mm socket).

At the back of the intake manifold there are no less than 5 vacuum points going to different sensors and locations around the engine bay. Looking closely I found a vacuum cap that was cracked and obviously letting unmetered air into the system. I started to feel around in that area and found that a few lines were cracked, and one just disintegrated in my hand into a powdery black substance.

This being not the ideal situation, I found the proper vacuum hose at the autoparts store, bought 20 ft of it and went to work. If you take your time you will find all the lines. I replaced ALL of them as the area was tight and a pain to get to. After I was done I went back to the autoparts store, grabed the code reader and read out the car. The only code left was a PO128 code that was for the thermostat reading out of range. Easy fix for later. I cleared the stored codes twice (out of spite), and haven't had one return yet.

I didn't realize how much power the car had been missing out on. It's MUCH more responsive. The idle is now completely smooth and rock solid at around 650 rpm after the car is warm. It's a shame I'll need to sell it soon, but I have a family on the way when I get married in May.

I hope this helps someone out there with these PO171 and PO174 codes. I know I would have appreciated this post while I was trying to wrap my head around this problem. The key to it is a visual inspection of every inch of vacuum line. Bring a mirror and a person with small carney hands if you can find one.

- Stephen

Last edited by MerflinFE; 04-05-2009 at 04:16 PM.
MerflinFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Dan99

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Nice write up.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
selling your car to get married , your a better man than i am bud

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
Dannyncc

My Ride: Aw m3
Send a message via ICQ to Dannyncc Send a message via AIM to Dannyncc Send a message via MSN to Dannyncc Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyncc Send a message via Skype™ to Dannyncc
can show picture?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyncc View Post
can show picture?
Show pictures of what? vacuum lines?
Lemonsqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
kwikt

My Ride: 2003 330i
Don't forget the vac line on the fuel filter regulator. Thought the car was done throwing codes till yesterday. It caused all kinds of codes plus my wife barely made it home. The line was totally rotted!!!! When this happens it shuts off fuel to the engine.

Kevin
kwikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
vminev

My Ride: 325ci
Awesome... Im gonna do th is as soon as school is out (may 10th) I have had those codes for a year now and I couldnt figure out how to get rid of them... Thanks
Old 04-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
giver13

My Ride: 01 330 ci
Pics of the points where in the engine bay these lines are located??? Id like to check mine but dunno where to look
Old 04-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
MileHiXi
Banned

My Ride: '02 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqr View Post
Show pictures of what? vacuum lines?
The fiance.
MileHiXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
Jha3d33 330i

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via Yahoo to Jha3d33 330i
I got the same issue..Let me know if you find out.
Jha3d33 330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #11
Chriztofor

My Ride: 2000 323i (Auto)
For most BMW problems start off by reading your codes using a peake research tool. Note, as mentioned by other members, although Autozone checks your codes for free they use a generic OBDII tool that does not have the BMW specific fault codes.
Chriztofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
druggrepp

My Ride: 325ci 2001
broken vacuum line throwing codes

My black beauty started stumbling and dying, I put a new fuel filter on it, $79 with regulator and the hose going to it was cracked too.
The stumbling has gotten better but NOW i know where to look before i try the oil seperator and icv again.
Thanks for the post.
druggrepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
worthless seems like a bit of a stretch
lsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #14
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Vacuum lines i can recall are :

Intake after TB:
Fuel pressure regulator(323/328 is on front of fuelrail , 325/330 is integrated in fuel filter)
Purge valve (sits underneath the manifold and runs to inside of wheel arc, connector here breaks often)
Brake booster(Big hose from under manifold)
Before TB :
Brake booster for WOT line

On the side of the manifold there are 3 connectors stock all of them are capped as far as i know.
Big one isnt even drilled into the manifold(atleast i couldnt get any readings from it)
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #15
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
I'm sorry, the link between getting married and selling the car is what? Unless you have some of your own, and she brings some of hers, I don't see how marriage and BMW have to be exclusive of each other. Your car can easily hold you and her, and a carseat. I'll admit that putting the carseat in can be a huge pain in the ass, but the solution for this is to have a carseat for your car and another for her car. That way the carseat goes in once, and never moves.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote