E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Blackedout17

My Ride: Titanium Silver m3
Black Vinyl Overlay

Hey everyone,

I just wanted everyone to know that this guy is being rediculous right now. I sent this member a piece of Vinyl overlay that I had. He posted this thread and requested a refund through paypal without attempting to resolve the issue with me first. Needless to say I would have sent him another one if he had given me a chance, free of charge, but he took it straight to disputing it.

This fanatic obviously had never worked with vinyl because I know from experience with my buddies cars that these waves in the vinyl will come out with some stretching, and contorting. The member also did not think of a heat gun when applying the material to the outside of his car. The crease on the corner was going taken out anyways, it was excess to the corner.

Anyone chime in please when they see this and give there opinions.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=663239
Blackedout17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
Franxta

My Ride: 325ci
Send a message via AIM to Franxta
I can't reply on his thread for some reason, but I think he's inexperienced and in the wrong. If he had gotten a tint shop to do it, he would have probably been more than happy with the product.

"But the speed was power, and the speed was joy, and the speed was pure beauty."
--Jonathan Livingston Seagull
Franxta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
Blackedout17

My Ride: Titanium Silver m3
Thanks!! I completely agree.
Blackedout17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
Franxta

As well, if I were to have gotten an overlay that DIDN'T stretch, I would be more upset than getting a perfectly smooth one that had no stretch to it. I (half-way-successfully) put on vinyl over my chrome window trim, and I would have gotten nowhere if there was no stretch to it.

"But the speed was power, and the speed was joy, and the speed was pure beauty."
Old 04-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
AirborneDEN

My Ride: M3
Send a message via AIM to AirborneDEN
Just to give you my honest opinion, that vinyl shouldn't have been that wavy. I am sure that once you peel it off, you can straighten it out on the car, and even use a heat gun to help that. However, that's extra unnecessary work that you shouldn't have to do.

The corner thing I can understand, since the vinyl can get bunched up or slightly damaged during shipping, and it is excess anyways.

-Don
Old 04-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
AirborneDEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franxta View Post
As well, if I were to have gotten an overlay that DIDN'T stretch, I would be more upset than getting a perfectly smooth one that had no stretch to it. I (half-way-successfully) put on vinyl over my chrome window trim, and I would have gotten nowhere if there was no stretch to it.
Most vinyl will stretch. Cheaper material will just not stretch as well/easily.

-Don
Old 04-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
RJM1386

My Ride: 2002 ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneDEN View Post
Just to give you my honest opinion, that vinyl shouldn't have been that wavy. I am sure that once you peel it off, you can straighten it out on the car, and even use a heat gun to help that. However, that's extra unnecessary work that you shouldn't have to do.

The corner thing I can understand, since the vinyl can get bunched up or slightly damaged during shipping, and it is excess anyways.

-Don
Airborne--- I got mine from you and it came just like that. Minus the corner that looks like it got caught on something. Those waves came right out... no issue at all... I rolled mine in the opposite direction when i got it from you... and everything worked out.

Not sure why this guy is being difficult.

2002 M3 Steel Grey
1997 318is (gone)
RJM1386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
Franxta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneDEN View Post

-Don
even still, he's overreacting

Old 04-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
Flipe46d1722

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Send a message via AIM to Flipe46d1722 Send a message via Skype™ to Flipe46d1722
This guy is completely overeacting. I got mine from Airborneden.There were some little creases in the middle of mine and the sheet was wavy as ****. BUT>>> I made the attempt to put mine on and it came out perfect, no creases and the wavyness did not affect the way it came out. I never even questioned what it would look like on my car from my inital viewing of the raw product.
Flipe46d1722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
AirborneDEN

I dunno. It's up to you guys to decide.

He could possibly peel it off the backing paper, to see if it'll straighten out, since it could be the backing paper that is distorted and not the vinyl.

I've had vinyl shipped back to me before (due to wrong address), and when I pulled it out to inspect it, it looked just like the way I had originally sent it out.

It does seem like he's over reacting if you're offering him his money back for the vinyl.

-Don
Old 04-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
AirborneDEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipe46d1722 View Post
This guy is completely overeacting. I got mine from Airborneden.There were some little creases in the middle of mine and the sheet was wavy as ****. BUT>>> I made the attempt to put mine on and it came out perfect, no creases and the wavyness did not affect the way it came out. I never even questioned what it would look like on my car from my inital viewing of the raw product.
I want better pictures of the vinyl on your car as well, those pictures at the gas station doesn't count

-Don
Old 04-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #12
Flipe46d1722

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Send a message via AIM to Flipe46d1722 Send a message via Skype™ to Flipe46d1722
You got it man!! I actually am going to get some pics taken today....boys bringin that DSLR!!!!
Flipe46d1722 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black vinyl, exterior, overlay