E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
shag(awd)

My Ride: is a mountain goat
BMW Professional CD headunit

Hi there,

Does anyone know if this radio model has an AREA setting, like a normal Business CD? (AREA EUROPE, AREA USA, AREA CANADA, etc...)

I hear the final stage circuitry is very good on these radios, and works wonders with HK systems... maybe Burr-Brown DAC's...??

See attached image...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	int2.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	184312  
shag(awd) is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
BMWintoxication
Taiwan/Vancouver/Shanghai

My Ride: Jet Black02' 325ci
Send a message via AIM to BMWintoxication Send a message via MSN to BMWintoxication
you gotta find an Euro forum to ask this..

BMW NA never got this deck, but radio setting shouldnt' matter that much, if you can get your hands on these, i'd get it.

Orz
BMWintoxication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by shag(awd)
Hi there,

Does anyone know if this radio model has an AREA setting, like a normal Business CD? (AREA EUROPE, AREA USA, AREA CANADA, etc...)

I hear the final stage circuitry is very good on these radios, and works wonders with HK systems... maybe Burr-Brown DAC's...??

See attached image...
I messed around with the Profesional Tuner (Navigation) version of that headunit here in the USA more than a year ago and it did not have an AREA setting in the Service menu. I had to exchange it with a Business Tuner to make it work in our AM frequencies and with the OEM Sirius tuner. This Professional Tuner FM frequencies are in .1 MHz steps so USA FM frequencies (odd steps) can be tuned in, though. The rest of the frequencies are short wave.

The only thing that I greatly miss from that tuner the short time that I had it installed was, as you said, the sound quality. It simply blows the Business Tuner away, especially in the highs and overall definition and stereo separation. It is really a premium tuner...
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
kotani

My Ride: 2002 M3 Coupe
Sorry to threadjack a little, but I had this radio in my car for about a day, but I swapped it back for the Business CD Player. It was really weird.. At one point, while I was turning up the volume, the bass setting would go really high up for some reason, and it sounded terrible. It was really odd.. I have the Professional CD player sitting in my tool chest right now. Does anyone know how to disable that weird feature?
kotani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
royalratch

My Ride: 03 320d SE Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotani View Post
Sorry to threadjack a little, but I had this radio in my car for about a day, but I swapped it back for the Business CD Player. It was really weird.. At one point, while I was turning up the volume, the bass setting would go really high up for some reason, and it sounded terrible. It was really odd.. I have the Professional CD player sitting in my tool chest right now. Does anyone know how to disable that weird feature?
Mine does this too and it's factory fitted. Below a certain volume, the bass is really big. If I turn it up past halfway it vanishes leaving the sound thin. Also, it intermittently comes on and off if I hit a bump or mess with the volume again. It's tied to the volume mainly - super annoying.
royalratch is offline   Reply With Quote