E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
BlackCat2081

My Ride: 2002 M3
Need help with Head unit wiring and wire harness

Ok, so it will probably be easiest to ask my questions with a series of posts. So I have two issues. One I'm trying to sort out the stereo wiring at the head unit (originally was an HK system). I have a few wires I can't figure out and a confusing wiring mess due to the previous owner's install. Second...I made the dumb decision of trying to remove unused wires in the harness. Well stupid me didn't realize that they didn't just go back to the head unit etc.

First question, on the OEM radio connector, what are the wires circled in the first picture? (yellow and black twist+white/red, white/blue, white/brown twist) These trace back to an unused connector but I would like to know what they are if anyone knows.

Second on the OEM radio connector, What are white/red/yellow, Violet with white strip, and Grey with red stripe wires for? (Circled in Second Picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nightmare_Stereo_Wiring 111-WebCircle.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	309863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nightmare_Stereo_Wiring 112-WebCircle.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	309864  
BlackCat2081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
BlackCat2081

Next...Can anyone tell me what this thing is. It is connect to ground, +12v always on, to a wire that goes back to the aftermarket amp (not sure where was connected as my shop took the amp out and didn't label anything), and the Alpine headunit which I think was the remote on. There is a fuse in the amp line and the line going to the headunit. Does "remote on" mean...power is only on when the head unit is on or car is in ACC?(white wire in harness I believe)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nightmare_Stereo_Wiring 121-Web.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	309865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nightmare_Stereo_Wiring 122-Web.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	309866  
Old 04-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
BlackCat2081

Question 3 of 4...
Can anyone tell me what this connector is for? It is located on the heater core case behind the headunit. And less important what is the connector above the circled one for?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nightmare_Stereo_Wiring 120-WebCircle.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	309867  
Old 04-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
BlackCat2081

Last question,
Can anyone tell me what this harness is for and where else does it go from here?(Crosses the transmission tunnel to other side) It was connected to a bunch of connectors that weren't used in the back of the car...it includes the speaker cables for the passenger side door.
First picture shows wire bundle, second shows location.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nightmare_Stereo_Wiring 126-Web.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	309868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nightmare_Stereo_Wiring 102-WebCircle.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	309869  
Old 05-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
Hornswoggler

My Ride: 01 330i, 97 M3
Sorry to see your questions did not get answered. Are there wiring diagrams in the Bentley manual?
Hornswoggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
First post:
First one looks like wires that go to oem CD changer
Second one show i-bus wire (white/red/yellow dots) and not sure what the black one is for, most likely VSS (speed), does this wire have a white stripe?

Second post:
Looks like a relay (amplify turn-on wire signal, perhaps?), hard to tell without looking at what theconnections are.

Third post:
They are "junctions" the one on the bottom provides power to the radio, among other things. Top one might be forwer for ac fan (don't remember). Stay awau from BOTH of those plugs.

Fourth post:
NO idea without tracing wires. My guess is some of those go under the seat for seat belt tensioners, air bag modules, etc.

Last edited by ca1242; 05-04-2009 at 11:21 AM.
ca1242 is offline   Reply With Quote