E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
superfly_32

My Ride: E46
Vibration and steering wheel shake

I have to 2004 325i and this weekend I picked up some new rims and tires. The stock wheels and tires were 205/55-16. I changed to 225/45-17 front and 245/40-17 in the rear. The wheels are OEM with Potenza RE050A tires already mounted on them. The tires has less than a 1,000 miles on them. The issue that I am having is there is a vibration at low speeds and the steering wheel seems to pull a little. I tried to swap out the old rims and tires with the new ones I got but they were seized up so I took it to a shop to have them swapped. I am not really sure what is going on. My thought is the tires need balanced but what would cause the slight pulling? I don't think the could have knock it out of alignment breaking the wheels loose. Any inout would be greatly appreciated,
superfly_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
tanzi

My Ride: 02' 325i
having the same problem here man....
Old 04-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
balance could be off, and check Your tire pressures too
Old 04-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
Get the tires balanced, Now that you have bigger and wider wheels/tires your feeling the suspension issues, Your control arms and bushings are bad. Ask me how i know, been there done that.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
superfly_32

I just checked the air pressure and there was only 17 psi in each tire. I also checked the lugs to make sure that they were tight since the shop did not bother to check the air and found several loose lugs. I am hopeing that was the issue but if it does end up being the control arms and bushing where should I get them and is there a good DIY on how to install them?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
n2Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly_32 View Post
I just checked the air pressure and there was only 17 psi in each tire. I also checked the lugs to make sure that they were tight since the shop did not bother to check the air and found several loose lugs. I am hopeing that was the issue but if it does end up being the control arms and bushing where should I get them and is there a good DIY on how to install them?
that may cause them to shake take it for a spin. Chech bmaparts.com for them, call them and haggle. Search and you will find a DIY.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #7
superfly_32

Took it for a drive and I the virbration and the shake is gone. Thanks for all the help
Old 04-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
n2Bimmer

good
Old 04-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
superfly_32

Okay so tonight it took my car to get an alignment and to make sure the tires were balanced. They got the alignment complete and started to balance the tires. The front drivers side spun perfect on the wheel balancer but when they put it back on the car and spun while the car was off the ground there was a wobble. Is this a wheel bearing or ball joints?
Old 04-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
miguelflyat04

My Ride: 2001 325i
Send a message via AIM to miguelflyat04
I am not quite sure if you have aftermarket wheels... but if you do, this is what resolved my shaking problem:

HUB CENTRIC RINGS

My suggestion to anyone who has AFTERMARKET WHEELS and shaking problems is to first check for the HUB CENTRIC RINGS. Its easy and CHEAP!!!! This hubs are usually made of plastic and can easily wear down to the point that they break. They could have also been removed by any tire shop who forgot to re-install them.

Also, anyone requesting help with anything having to do with suspension... If you have aftermarket wheels, make sure you mention it. It is something that many people including myself forget to mention. Even though factory wheels may or may not require this hubs, MOST aftermarket wheels do require it.

When you think about it... it makes perfect sense! You can balance a wheel or tire or whatever, but if it has considerable play or if it is not laying solid on the hub... then balancing it makes no difference because it can still shake especially at higher speeds due to the pressure.

Anyways... I just wanted to share my results with everyone. I hope everyone who has the same problem can benefit from my information.

**REMEMBER**
If you have AFTERMARKET WHEELS.... Check for that little plastic thing (LMAO) called: HUB CENTRIC RING or HUB RING
miguelflyat04 is offline   Reply With Quote