E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 08:26 AM   #1
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Thumbs down BMW suspended sales of OEM Sirius modules

I've been told by 3 different BMW dealers parts departments, and Jason at Tischer that BMWNA has officially stopped selling OEM Sirius units.

BMW is developing an XM / Sirius unit and is switching sppliers. Those units are supposed to be available in September.

Until then all existing dealer stock will be used for warranty repair only. The price of used Sirius units just skyrocketed.

Sirius receiver part numbers for those looking...

84110141981 1st generation requires Y antenna adapter (84110392102) for units without OEM Navigation
84110153365 1st generation requires Y antenna adapter (84110392102) for units with OEM Navigation
65120398140 2nd generation
65120416377 3rd generation sold only with 1 year subscription

Last edited by sna77; 04-26-2009 at 10:14 AM.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
Evan@Tischer
Your #1 BMW Part Source

My Ride: Honda CRViX
Send a message via AIM to Evan@Tischer
**Edited**

Yup, supply ran so low that they needed to have more made.....which usually means an increase in cost. Just the way it is sometimes.

And as Tom said below, the only remaining ones are stictly for warranty purposes.

Email getHelp@getBMWparts.com AIM: Evan at Tischer
Follow us on: FaceBook | Twitter | YouTube

Last edited by Evan@Tischer; 04-08-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Evan@Tischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan@Tischer View Post
Yup, supply ran out, so they need to have more made.....which usually means an increase in cost. Just the way it is sometimes.

Evan... my local dealer mentioned the XM / Sirius combo unit and the supplier change as well... Have you heard this also?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
I don't believe they 'ran out'. When you have lots of customers calling and complaining about the lack of adding "Best of XM". Every other car maker this seems to work fine. September is a long way off... sounds like BMW is a little slow!

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halston@BSW View Post
I don't believe they 'ran out'. When you have lots of customers calling and complaining about the lack of adding "Best of XM". Every other car maker this seems to work fine. September is a long way off... sounds like BMW is a little slow!
you can't add the Best of XM to an BMW Sirius unit? Oyyy
Old 04-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
I've been told by 3 different BMW dealers parts departments, and Jason at Tischer that BMWNA has officially stopped selling OEM Sirius units.

BMW is developing an XM / Sirius unit and is switching sppliers. Those units are supposed to be available in September.

Until then all existing dealer stock will be used for warranty repair only. The price of used Sirius units just skyrocketed.

Sirius receiver part numbers for those looking...

84 11 0 141 981 1st generation requires Y antenna adapter (84110392102)
65 12 0 398 140 2nd generation
65 12 0 416 377 3rd generation sold only with 1 year subscription
They didn't run out - there was a parts freeze for unspecified reasons, remaining stock was held onto for warranty purposes.

As soon as we have more info - we'll be letting the forums know. Otherwise - it's XM Direct for now.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
They didn't run out - there was a parts freeze for unspecified reasons, remaining stock was held onto for warranty purposes.

As soon as we have more info - we'll be letting the forums know. Otherwise - it's XM Direct for now.
Tom, do you have any left in existing stock?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Tom, do you have any left in existing stock?
No sir, these were gone some time ago - your only source is used for now.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
drivrswntd

My Ride: 330ci
So does this mean I may finally be able to have xm on my oem nav in the near future?
drivrswntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
No sir, these were gone some time ago - your only source is used for now.

I searched for about a week... The ONLY thing I could find was a used 1st generation unit (paid $75 for it). Just need to locate a Sirius Y adapter now...
Old 04-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #11
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
I searched for about a week... The ONLY thing I could find was a used 1st generation unit (paid $75 for it). Just need to locate a Sirius Y adapter now...
Try to get a 2nd or 3rd Gen unit, the 1st Gen untis were a bit problematic and required the use of a ALC module due to the dual antenna inputs.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #12
shortyb

My Ride: Has blue lights
Quote:
Sure you can. Just as you can add Best of Sirius to XM receivers. But that is the extent of cross-content. I think BMW is opting for a more universal option (both an XM and Sirius full content receiver). Sirius/XM expects to have similar new radios out this summer and the OE auto market will follow suit.
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #13
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Try to get a 2nd or 3rd Gen unit, the 1st Gen untis were a bit problematic and required the use of a ALC module due to the dual antenna inputs.

I did. There weren't any available right now... Finally found the part number of the antenna adapter thingy: 84-11-0-392-102

Actually, ordered that one and a Terk SIR-SP as well... Seeing which one comes in first...

Here' is the Terk:

and the OEM one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post
Sure you can. Just as you can add Best of Sirius to XM receivers. But that is the extent of cross-content. I think BMW is opting for a more universal option (both an XM and Sirius full content receiver). Sirius/XM expects to have similar new radios out this summer and the OE auto market will follow suit.

This is what my dealer told me... I have no idea why they just don't combine the programming fully into a single package.

Last edited by sna77; 04-09-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #14
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

Quote:
Nope. For some reason or another you simply can't

As Tom said the new one is going to be 'both' I would assume.

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Old 04-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #15
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halston@BSW View Post
Nope. For some reason or another you simply can't

As Tom said the new one is going to be 'both' I would assume.

Actually, I said that first.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #16
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

Oops!

Old 04-11-2009, 12:03 AM   #17
edco

My Ride: 2004 325cic 2006 X5
Ironically it was the day that I was about to add Sirius to my X5 that a note came out that dealers are only supposed to use existing inventory to replace units under warranty. They expect a new model which will allow a user to choose a package of combined selections from both Sirius and XM (now that they are one company). I've had an XM subscription for more than 4 years and have had zero problems with my wife's car utilizing the XM Direct kit. Unfortunately, I cant use the same in my X5 because it has Nav, and therefore the XM Direct kit won't work...so I was about to roll over since today I have a "dummy" cassette in the cassette player behind the nav, plus power from a cig lighter outlet, and an antenna magnetically attached to my roof.. so it looks pretty cheesy..BUT on long drives I have to do for work to Richmond, VA from Central NJ, it sure beats searching for FM stations every 30 miles or so..My dealer told me at the 2010 launch event they had for the new 7 series that May 1 is the target date for the new module..so couple of more weeks before they start rolling in..

One final point..the new Sirius/XM is BLEEDING money very quickly, especially since they have stopped installing units in new cars from the factory, plus the general slowdown in new car sales which is where the majority of their revenue comes from.. It may not be wise to buy another 3 year plan as their viability as an going concern is possibly a concern.

In the meantime, I'm going to let the first batch come out and let the "early adopters" try them out before I buy one.. Point zero releases of anything with software is usually got some bugs that didnt get cleaned in pre-production..

HTH
Ed in NJ
edco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:18 PM   #18
ZeeHP04

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by edco View Post
One final point..the new Sirius/XM is BLEEDING money very quickly, especially since they have stopped installing units in new cars from the factory, plus the general slowdown in new car sales which is where the majority of their revenue comes from.. It may not be wise to buy another 3 year plan as their viability as an going concern is possibly a concern.
That's not correct at all. Sirius/Xm radio has forecast positive EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation of assets) of $300 million for the first quarter of 2009, per their earnings conference call in March.

This is the first positive EBITDA in the two companies' history, combined or separate (pre-merger).

The bankruptcy question has been removed off the table for at least 2 years via the $540 million investment by Liberty Media (DirecTV). Also, synergies from the merger of Sirius and XM continue to be realized. In short, they are saving a ton of money by merging and doing away with things that were present in both companies.

I own multiple-thousands of shares of Sirius/XM and follow the company closely.

It's going to be around for quite a while.
ZeeHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #19
dummptyhummpty

My Ride: 2003.5 BMW M3 6spd
Send a message via AIM to dummptyhummpty
Would there be any benefit to the OEM Sirus/XM unit vs the XM Direct from EAS (which I currently have)?
e2 aurora LED Angel Eyes
Vorsteiner CSL Style Trunk Lid
2004.5 Audi A4 3.0q (Sold: 8/15/09)
dummptyhummpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #20
shortyb

My Ride: Has blue lights
Quote:
This is what my dealer told me... I have no idea why they just don't combine the programming fully into a single package.
This is what I was saying, they are going to introduce a "full programming" OE receiver/NAV in the near future. First I've heard of the launch coinciding with the new 7 release, but I guess its possible. Sirius/XM has been saying summer release for combined radios so I guess thats close enough.

As was said, Best of XM can't be added to BMW Sirius.....yet. Look for a retro module soon after the full content receivers hit the scene. I though you meant regular subscription radios where, of course, you can add cross content such as Best of, ala carte and genre blocks without problems.
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote