E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
dnanorton

My Ride: 323i
coolant level low light

The original expansion tank blew. So I got a new expansion tank and sensor. i fill and bleed the coolant system according to the bently manual. Works great.....except.

I still have a coolant level light on. So I change the sensor to another new one (2nd new sensor), still coolant level low light.

The floating dipstick under the "radiator cap" shows full and the temp gauge is right on.

I pulled the sensor this time without draining anything. No coolant comes running out and the sensor is barely wet.

How is my system full and cooling just right but the sensor isn't getting any fluid to it???
dnanorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
The sensor isn't actually immersed in the fluid, it sits inside a dry cavity in the expansion tank. It detects the float level, not the fluid level directly.

Perhaps you have a wiring problem or bad connector?
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
dnanorton

can you get to the float with a long screwdriver or some thing to move it a little. mine must be stuck.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanorton View Post
can you get to the float with a long screwdriver or some thing to move it a little. mine must be stuck.
The stick that you use to determine the coolant level is attached to the float. If the top is at or near the mouth of the radiator, as should be the case if the system is full of coolant, you should be able to push it down with your finger and have it pop back up. Is this not the case?
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
Old 04-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
dnanorton

dipstick floats to the top. its deffinately full. feels real light. I bet its not attached.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
TxZHP04

If that were the case, you'd be able to pull the "dipstick" out of the radiator.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
dnanorton

then i dont know wtf is going on.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanorton View Post
then i dont know wtf is going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Perhaps you have a wiring problem or bad connector?
There's always the electrical side of things.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
dnanorton

there is only 2 wires I can jump them and see if he light goes off. That will rule out electrical.

One thing I noticed. The original sensor was different than both the new sensors. It didn't have the black straw around the sensor stick. it was bare. I wonder if the new one is too thick to sense the float or something.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #10
ProchaineStation

My Ride: Metro, Bus, Bike
Send a message via MSN to ProchaineStation
I hear stories that if u tap the side of the tank it will pop back up also try not to get in and grab it because it might crack...
Plastic gets week after a while

Montreal, world transit & infrastructure enthusiast.
www.youtube.com/AntoDamicoShow
ProchaineStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
TxZHP04

Got a picture of one of the new sensors?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #12
dnanorton

its brand new and so is the sensor. I think if it is a prox sensor then mayne it needs to be closer.