E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
AZ NM NV OK TX UT

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2017, 01:17 AM   #1
bmwstephen

My Ride: e46 325XI, e36 M3
Relocating to Arizona: Fanatics Chime in!

Hey fanatics!

might be relocating for work so hoping to get some feedback for some longtime residents.

how's the weather treating your cars in terms of wear and tear?

how do you handle the 110+ weather in the summer? everyone tells me its pretty much unbearable and that you have to go from one AC zone to another to survive.

admittedly, the last point is a little scary because I am a very outdoorsy person and would hate to stay couped up.
bmwstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
EdGimeno

My Ride: 2006 M3
The summers are pretty harsh out here, and you definitely are going to prefer being indoors.

That being said, just like everything else with your car, maintain it properly and it will be just fine. That means maintaining the exterior as well, not just a wash, but a healthy layer of protective wax needs to be on at all times for the shine to truly last.

With summers consistently in the 110's in the early afternoon, the early morning is your friend to get as much done outdoors as you can, come 11 a.m., you are going to want to start headed indoors....
EdGimeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
AronAZ

My Ride: '03 M3 Cab SMG
Arizona is a big state and weather can vary a lot. Which part are you relocating to?
Also where are you coming from? That might help with a frame of reference.

For the car, make sure you have a sunshade for your windshield to help keep sun off the dash and dramatically lower the temp when you're parked in the sun. Tint is also helpful here too. Use the TSER ratings to choose if you don't already have it.

It's funny people who live here claim it's "unbearable" but I don't see them trading it for the Minnesota or Michigan winters. It's unpleasant midday but it's very bearable in the shade. I've never hurt my back shoveling AC, I've never slipped & fell on my AC, and my car has never slid off the road or got stuck in my AC. I've also never hid in my basement from a F4 AC or evacuated from a Cat 5 AC.

I always say: acclimation. When I moved my wife here from Connecticut, I'd only let her use the AC in the car on rare occasions the first summer. It was extreme, but if you hide indoors all the time you never get used it. You'll know you're acclimated when the low 80's at night with a cool breeze feels a little chilly. As noted above, evenings and early mornings are very enjoyable.

For you, keep water with you all the time and drink more than you think you need that first 6 months. It's very, very dry here and visitors/newbies get dehydrated quickly because you sweat less and when you do sweat, it evaporates quickly so you don't notice yourself in need of water until it's too late. That's compounded in the hot summer months.

Lastly, I'd say monsoons are the biggest threat to your car (and home). Not much advice there except try to park under cover in season and try to avoid them. If you get caught in blowing dust on the highway, don't stop. Pull all the way off the road unless you want to be the middle of a truck sandwich.
Edit: don't stop in the middle of the road. Slow down and if you want to stop, pull all the way off the road.
Gone: '08 Mercedes SLK55 AMG | '11 BMW X3 3.5i xD | '12 Mercedes C350 Coupe | '95 Ferrari F355 Spider |'08 BMW 135i Conv | '04 Audi TT 3.2 DSG | '03 BMW M3 Cab SMG | '02 Porsche 911 | '05 Audi S4 Tip | '02 BMW 330Ci

Last edited by AronAZ; 05-01-2017 at 11:32 AM.
AronAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
bmwstephen

My Ride: e46 325XI, e36 M3
Relocating to Arizona: Fanatics Chime in!

Thanks! I am excited and relocating from the bay area California). I was there checking out homes in March and found the weather to be nice even in the 90s (felt like high 75 in bay area because of our avg 50% humidity). I will be moving to the east valley chandler/gilbert area.

I might make another trip in July during the 100+ weather before I sign the commitment to my company to stay out there for the next 2 years.

I am just concerned the additional wear and tear it will do to properties I heard compared to a cali. iE shoes will burn on the assfault, car engine/ac, interior upholstery, or paint will wear faster.

In addition I am very outdoorsy and would hate to limit my ability to stay outside because of the heat (albiet I will stay hydrated and wear the appropriate clothing and skin protection)

Last edited by bmwstephen; 05-01-2017 at 12:20 PM.
bmwstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:03 PM   #5
AronAZ

My Ride: '03 M3 Cab SMG
Yeah - Bay area is a contrast in temps. Its really only bad June-August. The other 9 months it's near perfect for being outdoorsy. March was 10-15 degrees above normal (to be in the 90's), but as you experienced its actually pretty nice. With no clouds/humidity it cools off quickly when the sun goes down. Unfortunately, Phx is kind of the worst because its a concrete jungle that holds in the heat at night & radiates it during the day. My parents lived in Mesa for 15yrs before retiring. IMHO, east valley & North Scottsdale are the coolest areas; further west you go the hotter it gets. You'll have no problem enjoying the outdoors year round, including the pool during those 3 hottest months.

The sun takes a toll more than the ambient heat. (Altitude and lack of reflective water vapor in the air makes the sun more intense than places like Florida or SoCal.) You want a garage or carport at home. Unprotected/unmaintained cars will suffer clear coat failure followed by paint; sun can warp/crack dashboards if left in the direct sun for long periods of time - like airport long term lots - hence the sunshade/tint recommendation (although I don't think I've seen cracking on any cars made after 2000-2005). There is a lot of well preserved vintage cars here for a reason. If maintained, they hold up better than places with high humidity/rain, salty air, or salted winter roads.

Properly maintained engines do fine unless you let them sit & idle with AC blasting for long periods of time. I had a black Ferrari F355 that I drove in the dead of summer heat, sometimes in stop/go traffic, and it never overheated. If shoddy built Italian supercars hold up when maintained, your beemers will be fine. I always made sure to let my N54 turbos cool a bit after hard driving (especially in summer) so I'd just be considerate of that. I had a JB3 tune and no issues. I often opened my hood in my garage after driving to reduce heat soak when it made sense. I have no science to back it up, but I also used to add Water Wetter to my coolant to feel like I was helping.

I've heard of people with "Payless" shoes having adhesive failure from too much time on hot asphalt but it's not a normal occurrence. (You can feel heat through your soles which usually help you choose to find shade well before your shoes fail. *Remember this if you have pets! If too hot to walk barefoot, your dog doesn't want to either and can blister pads. And for the love of God, never leave pets/kids in the car alone.) This is also true of car interiors. E46's were notorious for window trim adhesive failing in the heat. A few dots of gorilla glue solved what mystified a billion dollars worth of German engineers. I haven't seen a review mirror fall off in over a decade either, but I'm sure it still happens once in a while.
Gone: '08 Mercedes SLK55 AMG | '11 BMW X3 3.5i xD | '12 Mercedes C350 Coupe | '95 Ferrari F355 Spider |'08 BMW 135i Conv | '04 Audi TT 3.2 DSG | '03 BMW M3 Cab SMG | '02 Porsche 911 | '05 Audi S4 Tip | '02 BMW 330Ci
AronAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #6
05SMG

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZSP
^^I'd like to add to that.^^
This happened last summer in PHX......Hanging out at the hotel pool on a layover with my iPhone under the deck chair in the shade, even while sitting on top of a towel the thermal heat warning function kicked in. OAT was 105F in the shade. I thought that was pretty neat.

Technically 05SSG

Last edited by 05SMG; 05-01-2017 at 02:27 PM.
05SMG is offline   Reply With Quote