E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
jorg323

My Ride: 1999 323i
Average Mileage for Clutch Replacement?

For those of you manual drivers who've already had to replace their clutch:

At what mileage did you have to replace it at? Were you an aggressive driver who tore it up quickly, an average driver, or relatively sedate driver, causing minimal wear over time?

And:

What symptoms did you have that confirmed it was time to change?

I'm at 132,XXX, and I'm fearing the time for a new clutch may be arriving.

Also, for those of you who changed the clutch yourself, how hard did you find it, what (if any) special tools did you use, what new clutch did you install (stock or sport clutch kit?), what's the best method to remove the tranny (I've heard of everything from using special lifts, to just lowering it by hand under your own strength, as apparently it's not supposed to be that heavy), and do you have any helpful suggestions or tips that would make a clutch replacement easier?

I know that's a lot of questions. Thanks to anyone who can provide some helpful insight.

18" Black ASA AR1 Rims | Yokohama Advan S4 Tires | Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Brembo Slotted Rotors | 6000k Xenons | 6000k P. Chrom. Angel Eyes | Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights | K&N FIPK CAI | M-Tech II Front Bumper | 35% Tint | Clear Corners | Matte Black Grille
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
113k and no need for new clutch yet. But my throw out bearing is going when the weather is cold. The metal thrust plate on it no longer swivels freely in its 'cup' when cold. This produces squealing against the pressure plate when turning.

At a guess I don't believe DIY clutch change is difficult if you can raise the car to the right height, and have it sit safe.

Last edited by GoingNuts; 04-11-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
DBear

My Ride: 2001 325i w/SportsPk
Replaced mine around 140k. Avg driver. Noticed an increase frequency of a shuddering throughout the car as I let the clutch out. Figured it was due to slippage. When I saw the disc my suspicions were confirmed.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
jorg323

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
113k and no need for new clutch yet. But my throw out bearing is going when the weather is cold. The metal thrust plate on it no longer swivels freely in its 'cup' when cold. This produces squealing against the pressure plate when turning.

At a guess I don't believe DIY clutch change is difficult if you can raise the car to the right height, and have it sit safe.
Yeah, I plan on doing it myself, as it seems to be within my mechanical ability range, but I wanted to get others' opinions and see if anyone found it to be a PITA or anything. (I'm not a mechanic or anything, but I do have some experience with cars, and I wanted to see how the average DIYer found this job and whether or not you can do it with mostly average tools.)

18" Black ASA AR1 Rims | Yokohama Advan S4 Tires | Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Brembo Slotted Rotors | 6000k Xenons | 6000k P. Chrom. Angel Eyes | Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights | K&N FIPK CAI | M-Tech II Front Bumper | 35% Tint | Clear Corners | Matte Black Grille
Old 04-11-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
jorg323

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBear View Post
Replaced mine around 140k. Avg driver. Noticed an increase frequency of a shuddering throughout the car as I let the clutch out. Figured it was due to slippage. When I saw the disc my suspicions were confirmed.
Dbear, I also have been noticing the shuddering for a while. It seems I may be following in your footsteps.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
inlinesicks

My Ride: E46, Jeep, Subaru
I had to do mine at like 75k
Old 04-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
TitaniumSilver323i

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-Speed
my car's got 156k and I've not done anything to the clutch yet...although I have no idea what the previous owner might have done. Also I don't think I'm that nice to it...I did remove a 1992 325i tranny the other day and it wasn't that bad and it dosen't really weight that much (manageable for one guy).
Old 04-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
another question is the necessity of changing the dual mass flywheel. I am on the fence if I will replace mine because they are expen$ive as crap
Old 04-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
TitaniumSilver323i

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-Speed
they are very pricey...i was thinking about getting a lightweight one for my E36 project car; until I realized they cost more than half what I paid for the car...
Old 04-11-2009, 11:14 PM   #10
jorg323

Yeah, I've read some about changing the flywheel while you're in there, but what exactly is the deal? I take it the dual mass flywheel is not OEM? And I assume if it is, it won't come in any clutch kit?

EDIT: oops, nm, I just read up on the flywheel. Still, what exactly are the recommendations about changing it?

Last edited by jorg323; 04-11-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:23 AM   #11
beingdevious
Apple Jews

Location: Drunk onthe Beach.. Official 4ngiefest.com Techie Go to: 4ngiefest.com/donate Needs: to leave the computer Status: ///Pantless
My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Send a message via AIM to beingdevious Send a message via Skype™ to beingdevious
i just put in the UUC clutch kit + lightweight fly wheel.

i absolutely LOVE it
my release bearing made it to 113k and went kaput. clutch still gripped, but was starting to go.

On a scale from 0 to 24...wait, 3 to 24, where 6 is the lowest and 12 is the highest, how freaking high re you right now?

She's got you high, and you don't even know yet.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:33 AM   #12
BMW_Stu

My Ride: HPF 330ci
i am at about 85k, i think my clutch is getting close 2 retiring. i drive it very soft 90% of the time and F*** the S*** out of it 10% of the time. lately i have noticed that it slips longer when i shift very agressively, and last time i tried doing a first and second gear burnout in the rain, my rpms were up, but i dont think it was the wheels that were spinning when i hit second gear. i have gotten a lot of opinions on lightweight flywheels. the general opinion is that your acceleration will b NICE, but when you hit the highway, it will b harder 2 maintain momentum and u will have 2 press the gas more. i have also heard horrer stories of lightweight flywheels causing major engine damage (ask Flipside) and even coming through the floor of the car. i think i would pass on that.

oh and also, i am the 3rd owner. i live in suburbs and never srive in traffic... the 2 previous owners lived in NY

Last edited by BMW_Stu; 04-12-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
DBear

My Ride: 2001 325i w/SportsPk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorg323 View Post
Dbear, I also have been noticing the shuddering for a while. It seems I may be following in your footsteps.
Would have attempted to replace myself but being that this is my daily driver didn't want to get over my head but after reading a few DIY for this item seems fairly straight forward so long as you take your time and follow the steps. Might also look into replacing your flex disc also.

Good luck
Old 04-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #14
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingdevious View Post
i just put in the UUC clutch kit + lightweight fly wheel.

i absolutely LOVE it
my release bearing made it to 113k and went kaput. clutch still gripped, but was starting to go.
the aluminum one?

if so, then it's not annoying to drive in traffic etc.?

also, which clutch did you get?
Old 04-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #15
beingdevious
Apple Jews

Location: Drunk onthe Beach.. Official 4ngiefest.com Techie Go to: 4ngiefest.com/donate Needs: to leave the computer Status: ///Pantless
Send a message via AIM to beingdevious Send a message via Skype™ to beingdevious
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
the aluminum one?

if so, then it's not annoying to drive in traffic etc.?

also, which clutch did you get?
yes, aluminum.. 8.5 pounds
its not annoying at all. it came with their stage II clutch.. the performance organic one. NOT the OEM m5 one (he was out of stock, so i got the better one)

i do have gear rattle, but my idle is low. i haven't chipped the car. if you bring it to 1k-1.1k rpm, the rattle goes away. the sound isnt as annoying as i thought it would be, and its not too loud. other than that, it grips quick, and revvs quicker. i LOVE it.

of all the mods ive done, this is my fav.

this is it: http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/LFWLE46SH.htm

On a scale from 0 to 24...wait, 3 to 24, where 6 is the lowest and 12 is the highest, how freaking high re you right now?

Last edited by beingdevious; 04-12-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #16
beingdevious
Apple Jews

and whoever says there is loss of torque.. its all lies. yes, there is less spinning mass/momentum in the wheel.. but you still have the SAME power output of the engine. you are able to get to the higher torque producing RPMs quicker, and thus get the torque/hp quicker. its a steeper curve on the dyno chart.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #17
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
another question is the necessity of changing the dual mass flywheel. I am on the fence if I will replace mine because they are expen$ive as crap
The OEM Luk dualmass flywheel can be had for only $389.99 at AutoZone. I swear to god, bought it for my manual conversion.

pic:

and link:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...questid=489109
Old 04-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #18
beingdevious
Apple Jews

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
The OEM Luk dualmass flywheel can be had for only $389.99 at AutoZone. I swear to god, bought it for my manual conversion.

pic:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...p/IMG_0177.jpg

and link:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...questid=489109
how much is the clutch/pressure plate kit?

im curious. the uuc kit in total was $1000ish

Old 04-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #19
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorg323 View Post
Yeah, I've read some about changing the flywheel while you're in there, but what exactly is the deal? I take it the dual mass flywheel is not OEM? And I assume if it is, it won't come in any clutch kit?

EDIT: oops, nm, I just read up on the flywheel. Still, what exactly are the recommendations about changing it?
There's no reason to change the flywheel just because you are in there when you DIY. You can always be in there again whenever. Having seen a flywheel made by LuK, the thing was so sturdy and substantial, I thought it'd never break. There's a very good chance you don't need to replace it.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #20
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingdevious View Post
how much is the clutch/pressure plate kit?

im curious. the uuc kit in total was $1000ish
When I did my manual conversion, I got my clutch kit from turner motorsport for $247. So I paid around half of what I would have paid for the UUC ltw fly/M5 clutch. Although its a lot better combo, i was already spending absurd amounts of money so I couldnt justify spending even more for an upgraded clutch. I like oem, its not bad.
Closed Thread

Tags
flywheel, goingnuts