E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 07:38 AM   #1
SteepLearningCurve

My Ride: 2000 323 i
Question Use of Sea Foam, Safe? or insane?

I have read posts and seen DIY's on using Sea Foam to clean out your engine...

and wonder:

Is this a recomended/usefull practice?
How many do this? have done/tried this?
Does it actually work?
What are the benifits?
Is it harmless?

Thanks
SteepLearningCurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
grafiksguy

My Ride: 2010 328xi
Doubt you'll get a consensus on this.

There are some who swear by it, other's who've had problems after treatment (fouled O2 sensors, plugs, etc.) Frankly, my own opinion on these kinds of treatments is if you have a problem and think it might help, go ahead and try it. On the other hand, if your car's running well, I wouldn't think it's a wise thing to do as a maintenance item. If there's a potential downside of creating a problem I'm a big believer in the axiom: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm sure others will disagree, but that's my 2.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
jinthekoreankid

My Ride: 2013
judging by your car , a 2000, go do it.

My opinion is, do it when the car is rather new like 50~70k so that there won't be so much crap coming out to foul out the plugs and the O2 sensor.

2003 BMW Z4 2.5i Sport
jinthekoreankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Bimmer^Hue

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to Bimmer^Hue Send a message via AIM to Bimmer^Hue Send a message via MSN to Bimmer^Hue Send a message via Yahoo to Bimmer^Hue Send a message via Skype™ to Bimmer^Hue
I've heard it works very well. just take out ur o2 sensors etc b4 you do it

2002 BMW 330i Titanium Silver Metallic | Gray Dakota Leather | 5-Speed | /// Sport, Winter and Premium Package
Bimmer^Hue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Perfectly fine. I've used it many times.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
dwebb99

My Ride: 330ci
What is the proper procedure running Sea Foam thru a 330? Is there a DIY on this?
dwebb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
If you search, you will find...
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I own a CPO that had an accumulation of carbon, probably from a history of excessive idling, use of drive thrus and poor gas.
Pull on this is brake vacuum hose. It will pull straight out of a rubber coupler in the brake booster. No need to undo clamps. I use a funnel to dump a third of a can of Seafoam into the vacuum hose.

I shut off the engine and let it sit for for about 40 to 60 min and then start the engine. The white smoke shows there are carbon deposits burning off.
It helps to have a code reader to clear codes, but they will go away themselves after a couple of days. So far my O2 sensors and spark plugs are unaffected. The engine runs more smoothly after Seafoaming. If there is a lot of white smoke, its OK to Seafoam again of a few days.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
kbok

My Ride: 2005 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteepLearningCurve View Post
I have read posts and seen DIY's on using Sea Foam to clean out your engine...

and wonder:

Is this a recomended/usefull practice?
How many do this? have done/tried this?
Does it actually work?
What are the benifits?
Is it harmless?

Thanks
It cleans the varnish and sludge from your valve train, etc.
There are a number of ways to use it. Add it to your oil, add it to your gas (where it will clean fuel injectors) or have the engine ingest it through a vacuum tube. Or all three.

For cleaning sludge, several here have been recommending AutoRX, which works in a slower, perhaps safer way, as an oil additive. It takes several miles and a few treatments requiring use of dino oil and, of course, changing your oil filter...
For complete details see
www.auto-rx.com

You might want to take a look under your valve cover to see if you really need it, first. Also change your oil and oil filter afterward, the sludge has to go somewhere, better to go out the oil pan drain.

For preventative maintenance of the fuel injectors, I think its best to 1) use good quality detergent gasoline, 2) add Techron to your gas tank a couple times per year, but you can throw a 3rd of a can of Seafoam in your tank.
kbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #10
beingdevious
Apple Jews

Location: Drunk onthe Beach.. Official 4ngiefest.com Techie Go to: 4ngiefest.com/donate Needs: to leave the computer Status: ///Pantless
My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Send a message via AIM to beingdevious Send a message via Skype™ to beingdevious
i've used it. no problems. it confused the ECU for about a week. one tank i got nearly 42mpg, the following i avged 19. now im back to ~26/27
it was easy. smoked alot.

imho, it was like one of those "snake" firecrackers. you light it on fire, its really cool for a few minutes, after that.. its just something you did. nothing special.

On a scale from 0 to 24...wait, 3 to 24, where 6 is the lowest and 12 is the highest, how freaking high re you right now?

She's got you high, and you don't even know yet.
beingdevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #11
bmwbun
Banned

My Ride: Pre-facelift Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingdevious View Post
i've used it. no problems. it confused the ECU for about a week.
Sounds like a problem to me.

Before using any kind of monkey milk like this, ask yourself a few questions.

1) What problem are you trying to solve by using this product?

2) Do you have any evidence that using the product will actually solve the problem you have?

3) Shouldn't the bottle have a picture of Dale Earnhart Jr. on it?...
bmwbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #12
beingdevious
Apple Jews

Location: Drunk onthe Beach.. Official 4ngiefest.com Techie Go to: 4ngiefest.com/donate Needs: to leave the computer Status: ///Pantless
My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Send a message via AIM to beingdevious Send a message via Skype™ to beingdevious
it wasnt an ongoing problem. thats what i was implying. the gas mileage was a mere inconvenience for a week.. but the fact that it removed a bunch of unnecessary carbon deposits outweighed it.

On a scale from 0 to 24...wait, 3 to 24, where 6 is the lowest and 12 is the highest, how freaking high re you right now?

She's got you high, and you don't even know yet.
beingdevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
asilva

My Ride: 05' X3 3.0
I've used it many times on all my cars. If the car has less than 75k miles though, I wouldn't use it, just because it probably doesn't need to be used.

Fail, Fail again, Fail Better"
asilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Use it if you want as much maintenance for your car as kpeng for his. I never used it and my car needs nothing beyond extended standard maintenance.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #15
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
insane

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
bmwTuner1

My Ride: Bmw, 330ci
I have never used it but I saw a report on nightline (i think) where Jiffy Lube was selling it as one of their services and the cars engine went out afterwards. They actually said several cars had engine failure after the treatment. In other words, Jiffy Lube approved means a big NO NO for me. They said that chunks of the broken deposits go into the more delicate parts of the engine and ruin it or clog up sensors. This is just info from that report, im sure that this has worked for some people but im not willing to buy a new engine as an experiment just yet.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #17
ZHPEE

My Ride: 330zhp,M5,CayenneGTS
I've seen the same reports on that stuff.......... you take your chances using it. After seeing the reports......there is no way I'd use that stuff. Not willing to try something that could ruin my engine......
Old 04-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #18
SteepLearningCurve

My Ride: 2000 323 i
Thumbs Up Thanks for the input--Too much risk for little benefit

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafiksguy View Post
Doubt you'll get a consensus on this.

If there's a potential downside of creating a problem I'm a big believer in the axiom: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm sure others will disagree, but that's my 2.
A few responded with about a 50/50 split but I agree with you here.

In my ole POS 99 b2500 I wouldnt hessitate trying something like this.

BUT I LIKE my BMW engine. With 120k on it, it runs very well, fires up hot or cold before a full revolution, is responsive, and gets a consistant 26-30 mpg.
SteepLearningCurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #19
Surrept

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I have seafoamed and deepcreeped my car. No issues whatsoever. Actually I lie. The only issue I had was when I tore the intake boot hose or some **** and my car would throw a running lean in bank 2 error code from time to time. Had that replaced and everything is running great. I performed a number of maintence procedures around the same time such as new plugs/ccv gasket/other things I can't remember. Car spewed nasty white smoke forever it seemed. Runs fine though after. It is a risk but from all the reading I did it seems its relatively safe as long as you pour it into the right spots and don't rip hoses like I did.

Edit: Didn't notice any real gain in performance or gas mileage to be quite honest. Definately made me feel better though knowing all that **** coming out my exhaust was from the internal cleaning.
Surrept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #20
inlinesicks

My Ride: E46, Jeep, Subaru
Why does everybody think the white smoke is the gunk and carbon in your engine burning off, its just the seafoam burning, and I used it in my 1990 jeep cherokee 4.0 when it had about 215k miles on it, poured it right into the throttle body because my brakes are electric not vacuum boosted, it did absolutely nothing, in fact my engine started knocking pretty bad a couple weeks later but thats probably just because its really old and worn out, but that was like a year ago and it still runs, sounds terrible.......but runs.

Tags
maintenance, performance, sea foam, tune up