E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
TiAg2247

My Ride: E39 M5 | E55 AMG
Sound cutting out?

I noticed this has been happening more and more as of late. Here are my symptoms:

1) Loud humming noise all the time from the subs when key is ignition position 2, and when engine is actually running too.
2) Every couple of minutes, the sound completely cuts out for a second or two and then kick back in. This happens randomly.
3) And now, when the ignition is in either position 1 or 2, there is NO sound coming form the speakers, but the subs still produce a loud humming noise. This happens for all inputs: AM/FM/CD.

Other useful info: The installer tapped the LOC's inputs for my amp to the HK amplifier location's wring harness for both remote turn on and then signals themselves.

What's the diagnosis?

Imola Red M5 | Imola Red Interior
GT Exhaust, Custom BC Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Dayonta Race, Michelin PSS

Daily: 335i M-Sport Alpine White / Coral Red
Cobb STG1+, FMIC, H&R Sport, BMW Perf Style 313

Past:
'04 E55 AMG
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
TiAg2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
albarran9

My Ride: E46, E53, E90
sounds like your ground wire isnt properly grounded. I'd start there. if not check all of your wires in the LOC and make sure that they have a secure connection.
albarran9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
TiAg2247

The ground seems fine from what I can tell. The LOC connection seems isolated too. What gives?

Past:
'04 E55 AMG
Old 04-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
TiAg2247

Alright, so today I had a hunch my subwoofers' amplifier might be causing some problems. I drove around the block for a couple minutes and boom, the symptoms arose again, the battery light comes on every now and then at random times. I decided to disconnect the ground wire to my aftermarket amplifier and WHA-LA! No more sound cutting out, no more flickering lights and the red Battery light on the cluster never came on once.

I also noticed something else: the power cable for the amplifier connected to the OEM battery showed severe signs of burning. The electrical tape, the terminal, the wiring itself seems to have burned out quite a bit. I reconnected the amplifier system and noticed that if I played around with the power cable, the car's lights would dim in and out and the subs would make popping noises.

I'll take a pic of my actual setup once the camera's battery is charged. In the pic below, the amplifier's power cable is connected to where the WHITE arrow is pointing at. Should it be at the GREEN arrow instead?

What's wrong with my setup?

Past:
'04 E55 AMG
Old 04-16-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
BmwAudio32

My Ride: 2004 Imola 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Alright, so today I had a hunch my subwoofers' amplifier might be causing some problems. I drove around the block for a couple minutes and boom, the symptoms arose again, the battery light comes on every now and then at random times. I decided to disconnect the ground wire to my aftermarket amplifier and WHA-LA! No more sound cutting out, no more flickering lights and the red Battery light on the cluster never came on once.

I also noticed something else: the power cable for the amplifier connected to the OEM battery showed severe signs of burning. The electrical tape, the terminal, the wiring itself seems to have burned out quite a bit. I reconnected the amplifier system and noticed that if I played around with the power cable, the car's lights would dim in and out and the subs would make popping noises.

I'll take a pic of my actual setup once the camera's battery is charged. In the pic below, the amplifier's power cable is connected to where the WHITE arrow is pointing at. Should it be at the GREEN arrow instead?

What's wrong with my setup?
Hmm, it looks like you have a sufficient gauge wire but i'm not sure. What sort of fuse setup are you running, and what gauge wire? How many watts does your amp put out?

According to you, "playing around with the wire" caused problems. It sounds like somehow your power wire is grounding out somewhere,which would cause major problems, especially if it was before the fuse (you do have an inline fuse on the power line,right?) Also you said "OEM battery" although thats not an OEM battery. But anyways, its also possible that your power wire is frayed near the end where it goes into the amplifier (especially if you used a bare wire-terminal connection), and it may be touching the ground wire creating a major problem. Normally the fuse would blow in this situation but I can't see the fuse in your picture so I'm not sure.
BmwAudio32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
slosvt

My Ride: 00 328i
Send a message via AIM to slosvt
I was just wondering if you solved your problem, because I am having a similiar situation.

I have two amps (one running components up front and one running the sub) and when I turn the volume up the front speakers cut off, but the sub keeps pounding. I have checked the Alpine amp powering the components and the green power light never turns off, but the speakers cease to output sound. When the sound does come in it is clear, but its on for a second, out for 2, on, out, etc... Only at higher volumes (not full blast, but 75% or greater). I currently have 4 guage wire powering both amps, but feel that the 4 guage might be too much for the Alpine, even though it never loses power (according to the green light).

Does anyone think switching to a 8 guage power/ground setup might help solve my problem?
slosvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
slosvt

My Ride: 00 328i
Send a message via AIM to slosvt
Well, I can confirm that the switch to 8 guage wire did not solve my problem. I guess I need a new amp, but I am not sure if the component crossovers have anything to do with it? Any chance they are cutting the power to the speakers and the amp is fine?
slosvt is offline   Reply With Quote