E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #1
texaslonghorn

My Ride: EV
Alternative headliner/pillar upholstery material

I just completely redid all the fabric in my 04 325Ci and thought I would share a couple things with everyone. I will post pics later.

Rather than headliner material, I went to Hancock Fabric and bought a faux suede material called "Butter Suede". That is the name of the material, not the color. I have the beige interior and there is a color of Butter Suede that is dead-on the original fabric color. Take a piece of the original fabric with you to color match, though because there are a couple other colors that are kinda close so going by memory may cost you. I almost bought the wrong one. What I really like about this stuff is that it has subtle texture to it that makes the interior really beautiful.

For the headliner, I just glued the fabric directly to the fiberglass. I used a High Temperature aerosol headliner adhesive also available at Hancock. I don't mind not having the foam backing for several reasons.

This was my first time at doing anything like this. It wasn't difficult, but is tedious and sometime frustrating to get it right. I had to redo one of the C pillars 5 times before I got it right!! Arghhh. The headliner itself went very well with only one try.

My three suggestions for those thinking about doing this: TAKE YOUR TIME. I worked on about 1 sq ft of the headliner at a time. It can be tricky to get all the nooks and crannies covered without bubbles and tears. Second, buy at least 2 times the amount of material you think you will need, unless you are an expert at this kind of stuff. I think I ended up buying a total of 6 yards - most of which went to redoing mistakes on the pillars. Third, make sure you wrap at least 1/2 inch of material around the back of all the edges and glue it. Most of the original pillar fabric only wrapped a couple millimeters which wasn't enough to stand the test of time.
texaslonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:46 AM   #2
texaslonghorn

Pics

I know they aren't the best pictures but they show the suede texture I think looks nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3291.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	627372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3288.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	627373  
Old 03-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
Blue_Sky

My Ride: e46 ZHP
look nice. i need to do mine but i have no experience with upholstery
Blue_Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #4
texaslonghorn

Neither did I until a week ago.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:24 AM   #5
wentworth3

My Ride: 2003 330Xi
Looks really nice! Was the material expensive?
wentworth3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:03 PM   #6
Pole position

My Ride: E46 330ci
Thanks for the heads up this is on my to do list
Old 03-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #7
texaslonghorn

No - not expensive at all. I think regular price is about $15/yd. The Hancock store near me is closing so I got it about half price.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:51 PM   #8
kwikstix

My Ride: 2005 330i sedan
Question: I've seen people do this, and others go and get the fabric that comes attached to the thin layer of foam from ebay.

I've been told that the material with the foam layer is better and will last longer.

Anyone have any experience with this? Doing foam vs no foam?
kwikstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #9
texaslonghorn

The fabric with foam is the traditional headliner material. You can also get it at Hancock Fabrics where I got my stuff. To me, regular headliner material all looks the same and is boring. I wanted something that looked different and nicer than headliner material. Also, when installing the foam stuff you have to be careful not to push on it with fingertips or you create permanent indentations. I wasn't at all confident I would be able to avoid using my fingers and I was right.

Maybe it won't end up lasting as long, but I'll just redo it.