E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
Termite

My Ride: 328i SE Auto
Car won't start and appears to be dead

Not the ideal first post! Tonight I went to start my car and it won't start. The starter motor doesn't click, however all the lights, radio etc.. work fine and don't appear to be dim.

I have a 328i SE Auto. When I put the key into POS 2, the dash doesn't illuminate with the warning lights like it normally would.

I have tried all 4 keys that I have for the car to check if there was a fault in the key, no difference. I have tried attaching a jump pack and that didn't help. so I don't think it is the battery. I also tried disconnecting the battery for 30 mins to see if that reset anything like the immobiliser, but that hasn't helped either.

Any ideas as to what it could be? I am thinking it's either the ignition barrel or maybe the switch in the automatic gearbox and the engine thinks it's in drive rather than park, hence it won't start.

Any ideas welcome.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Chrissspyy

My Ride: 6MT 128i
might be the alternator.

thanks southpaw<3

Chrissspyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Termite

Would it just go like that with no warning? Is there a way of testing it?

I forgot to say I'd checked the fuses for the immobiliser etc... and they were fine.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
EDH330CIC

My Ride: E-46 330 Droptop
Give the key a solid hard push into the ingnition, has worked for me before.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
Chrissspyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite View Post
Would it just go like that with no warning? Is there a way of testing it?

I forgot to say I'd checked the fuses for the immobiliser etc... and they were fine.
happened to me before. i was driving my cousin's E30 one night and i was a block away from his house.. the headlights started to dim and the radio turned off, blinkers were out and it was slowly dying. when i tried to turn it back on everything would come on but lights were very dim. car wouldn't start. i was driving for 2 hours prior to that happening that same day and it was running fine.

thanks southpaw<3

Old 01-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
might be the alternator.
alternator wouldn't keep the car from starting. check your battery voltage and report back
Old 01-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
Chrissspyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciandr6 View Post
alternator wouldn't keep the car from starting. check your battery voltage and report back
that's what happened to me and we replaced the alternator.. it started fine then and hasn't given any problems.

thanks southpaw<3

Old 01-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
330ciandr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
that's what happened to me and we replaced the alternator.. it started fine then and hasn't given any problems.
the alternator can cause the battery to die which in turn will keep the car from starting. but the alternator by it self will not keep it from starting. you can have a bad alternator and a dead battery and put a battery in it and it will start. it won't run forever but it would start.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
Chrissspyy

Quote:
the alternator can cause the battery to die which in turn will keep the car from starting. but the alternator by it self will not keep it from starting. you can have a bad alternator and a dead battery and put a battery in it and it will start. it won't run forever but it would start.
well yeah that's what I meant though. the battery obviously has something to do with it too lol. sorry i didn't clarify.

thanks southpaw<3

Old 01-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
Termite

Well I've been back to where the car is to give it another try (don't think the neighbours were too pleased as it was 10:30pm!). After EDH330CIC mentioned giving the key a hard push I thought I would try that. That didn't have any success. However, my mate was looking as well and got annoyed with it and turned the key really hard as opposed to turning it like normal and it started up.

So I guess there is an issue with the ignition barrel then, or maybe it is the ring that identifies the key.

Are they expensive/pain in the ass to fix?
Old 01-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
330ciandr6

possibly bad ignition switch? thats what it sounds like to me
Old 01-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #12
Termite

Quote:
possibly bad ignition switch? thats what it sounds like to me
I think you maybe right.

Is it a simple swap of ignition switches or is it more complicated due to the coded keys etc..?
Old 01-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #13
330ciandr6

ignition switch can be replaced without changing or having to code keys.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
330ciandr6

it could also be an ignition cylinder.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #15
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
The fact that your dash lights don't come on sometimes, caused by a faulty ignition switch. These aren't very expensive.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #16
Termite

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittl3s View Post
The fact that your dash lights don't come on sometimes, caused by a faulty ignition switch. These aren't very expensive.
Good, that's what I like to hear. Are they easy to change over? I'm looking to see if I can find a DIY/tutorial at the moment. Time to purchase a Haynes/Bentley manual I think.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #17
coogsyrsv

My Ride: 03 330dsport..
i have a similar problem in my 330d 2002 model, only difference is that when i turn key to pos1 then 2 dash does not light up, although the engine cranks over, but seems like an electrical cut not letting it start..then i try again and all lights on dash come on and she fires up, and runs sweet!! turn t off and try again, no dash lights and it wont start..i was thinking ignition switch? would it be?
coogsyrsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #18
Franxta

My Ride: 325ci
Send a message via AIM to Franxta
Is it OEM battery? could be weak.

"But the speed was power, and the speed was joy, and the speed was pure beauty."
--Jonathan Livingston Seagull
Franxta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #19
coogsyrsv

My Ride: 03 330dsport..
e46 330

oem battery yes i think..!! battery reading 12.4v and 14.7 when running..this normal? both tested at the terminals and at the cable to test for voltage drop between post and terminal!! would it be wise to assume ignition switch?
coogsyrsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #20
Termite

With my problem, it was the ignition switch. Went to a dealer and bought a new switch. It's an easy job to do, just be careful with the rivet clip things that hold the steering column surround together.