E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

View Poll Results: Who knows best about bimmers?
Americans know better that's right 17 34.69%
No Europeans know better 15 30.61%
Neither, Hulk Hogan knows best! 17 34.69%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #21
Acarder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 4,656
My Ride: 69' M3
I have a hard time agreeing that any country has better modders.. Every country has good and bad modders. Sure America has most of the parts that come pretty cheap, but they also have that Honda that was made to look like a BMW. I'd just say the online community knows how to mod their cars tastefully as a whole, and r i c e r s ruin it for everyone. Oh, and I guess America has all the know-how because they have like 300 million people and BMW's are popular over there
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:25 AM   #22
Fooljam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NA
Posts: 888
My Ride: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acarder View Post
I have a hard time agreeing that any country has better modders.. Every country has good and bad modders. Sure America has most of the parts that come pretty cheap, but they also have that Honda that was made to look like a BMW. I'd just say the online community knows how to mod their cars tastefully as a whole, and r i c e r s ruin it for everyone. Oh, and I guess America has all the know-how because they have like 300 million people and BMW's are popular over there
Yeah well ok but there is more peps in EU than in the US and you see way more bimmers in Europe.
But still, rarely you see ta****lly modded bimmers in Europe, if not modded at all.
Fooljam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #23
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied
 
Rayce185's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 27,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooljam View Post
Yeah well I exactly said the countrary. Never meant to say americains have less knowledge and taste since I think this is the opposite. this is the point of this thread.

The thing that amazes me is the fact you take your bimmer upside down. Engine, trans, diff, everything. That helps to understand how the car works.
Culture is different that's correct. EU peps don't take their car upside down.
Well I do, but that's a rare exeption I believe :-)
I was making a point that both cultures have their own ways of getting at cars, and that both have equal knowledge, just in different ways.

I don't fully understand what you're trying to get at with that second part, though.
__________________
|
|
|
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #24
Darkoz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Australia
Posts: 3,307
My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooljam View Post
........
EU peps don't take their car upside down............
Correct, they like to take them from behind, it's a Euro thing ....
__________________
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:27 AM   #25
Fooljam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NA
Posts: 888
My Ride: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayce185 View Post
I was making a point that both cultures have their own ways of getting at cars, and that both have equal knowledge, just in different ways.

I don't fully understand what you're trying to get at with that second part, though.
Sure no problem.

In the second part I meant that americans do a lot more DIY and mechanical discoveries than we do in europe.
Fooljam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:28 AM   #26
Fooljam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NA
Posts: 888
My Ride: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Correct, they like to take them from behind, it's a Euro thing ....

Fooljam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #27
328Ci2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 165
My Ride: 2000 328Ci Topasblau
Cars are a way of life in the USA.

I would venture to say that BMW is a driver's brand and attracts people that want to enjoy their driving experience. If you spend a lot on a car (or much more than the Honda Civic it's parked next to), you probably won't junk it up with a giant wing or primer grey bumpers. Since it's hard to improve on a BMW with mods such as a NOS sticker or a fartcan muffler, you are forced to research your modifications if you really want to improve on the car. As a result, there are people out there that really know their stuff about engine and suspension tuning and can extract a little more performance out of these cars. I think more of these people are in the USA because we are the most willing to spend our money on our cars.
328Ci2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #28
Autobot325i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 839
My Ride: 2003 325i E46
Send a message via AIM to Autobot325i
if you pick up Performance BMW mag half the cars shown are not from the states
what makes you think they are not into tuning as much as the americans?

they even have their own forums inregards to most of the mods we do.

HK & Japan is in another world with their mods
__________________
***NEW UPDATE***
1985 318i E30
Autobot325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #29
Acarder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 4,656
My Ride: 69' M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooljam View Post
Yeah well ok but there is more peps in EU than in the US and you see way more bimmers in Europe.
But still, rarely you see ta****lly modded bimmers in Europe, if not modded at all.
How many times have you seen a modded BMW drive past you in America? I'd say more than 90% of the E46's there are rolling dead stock.. more of an estimation but I doubt anyone who lives out side of socal sees a HPF stage 3 M3 with every perfect exterior mod on every trip.. Just because the cars exist there doesn't mean that everyone has one, bringing me back to my point about it just being the online community thing and that most people from the US are able to find these sorts of websites because of the language/technical restrictions other parts of the world have. How to Europeans have different mods to Americans anyway? And how do Europeans not know how to fix there cars? I think you need to move to the US and suck Obama's balls in person. You found an American website... what did you expect?

Last edited by Acarder; 04-16-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #30
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied
 
Rayce185's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 27,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooljam View Post
Sure no problem.

In the second part I meant that americans do a lot more DIY and mechanical discoveries than we do in europe.
I would reason that with the fact that a lot of American homes have multiple car garages with a lot of place for their tools, plus the enthusiasm to get their hands dirty.

Not only do we Europeans (or at least Germans, not sure about the rest) have limited spatial capabilities concerning DIY work, but we like having our stuff done professionally. Plus if the car is still in warranty, we don't want to lose it by doing something yourself. And our warranty regulations are MUCH stricter than in the US.

I've heard of stories where people have SC'ed their car and still be under full warranty in the US. Forget that in Germany.
__________________
|
|
|
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:37 AM   #31
Fooljam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NA
Posts: 888
My Ride: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot325i View Post
if you pick up Performance BMW mag half the cars shown are not from the states
what makes you think they are not into tuning as much as the americans?

they even have their own forums inregards to most of the mods we do.
EU do tune their car sometimes, but it rarely is as tasty and professional compared to what I see in the US.
I have seen a few very nice examples in EU, but this is bloody rare.

Some EU examples. A big lack of taste if you ask me...



.





Fooljam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:38 AM   #32
328Ci2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 165
My Ride: 2000 328Ci Topasblau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayce185 View Post
I would reason that with the fact that a lot of American homes have multiple car garages with a lot of place for their tools, plus the enthusiasm to get their hands dirty.

Not only do we Europeans (or at least Germans, not sure about the rest) have limited spatial capabilities concerning DIY work, but we like having our stuff done professionally. Plus if the car is still in warranty, we don't want to lose it by doing something yourself. And our warranty regulations are MUCH stricter than in the US.

I've heard of stories where people have SC'ed their car and still be under full warranty in the US. Forget that in Germany.
This is the main thrust of what I was saying. Not only will we fork out cash on our cars themselves, but we will build 3+ car garages and fill them with cars, tools and a lift or two.

Our restrictions are less and we really didn't care about fuel economy over here until gas prices soared.
328Ci2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:38 AM   #33
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied
 
Rayce185's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 27,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooljam View Post
EU do tune their car sometimes, but it rarely is as tasty and professional compared to what I see in the US.
I have seen a few very nice examples in EU, but this is bloody rare.

Some EU examples. A big lack of taste if you ask me...
So you ignore what I said a while ago about pre-gen BMW's and VW's being the European r!cers?

The E36 is like the Honda Civic of Europe.
__________________
|
|
|
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:40 AM   #34
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied
 
Rayce185's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 27,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328Ci2000 View Post
This is the main thrust of what I was saying. Not only will we fork out cash on our cars themselves, but we will build 3+ car garages and fill them with cars, tools and a lift or two.
If our prices were as low as yours and we'd have the place, believe me: we would do the same too. I actually have more tools than most of my friends already, and I don't even have a garage or a full employment.
__________________
|
|
|
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:43 AM   #35
Fooljam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NA
Posts: 888
My Ride: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayce185 View Post
If our prices were as low as yours and we'd have the place, believe me: we would do the same too. I actually have more tools than most of my friends already, and I don't even have a garage or a full employment.
Well it is down to your priorities in life. You love you car, you decide to spend on your car. Not all EU do that.
That is what many americans do as well I believe.
Fooljam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #36
MileHiXi
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 884
My Ride: '02 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooljam View Post
Sure just need to ask mate

That's sick.

And to respond to the OP, it's my perception that your average European has to spend a lot more money to drive a car. Getting a license is more exepensive, gas is more expensive, etc. That's why you see so many fuel efficient models there. I'm not sure how the purchase prices compare (when I lived in Europe I just used public transit) but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the purchase prices are higher too...European nations seem to love taxing things.

Thus, my guess it that your average American can afford a BMW and your average European maybe cannot.

Last edited by MileHiXi; 04-16-2009 at 08:52 AM.
MileHiXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:49 AM   #37
Fooljam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NA
Posts: 888
My Ride: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiXi View Post
That's sick.
Yeah it is like a stealth fighter on wheels. You know that you are from Colorado
Fooljam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #38
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied
 
Rayce185's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 27,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooljam View Post
Well it is down to your priorities in life. You love you car, you decide to spend on your car. Not all EU do that.
That is what many americans do as well I believe.
I guess you can believe right when you hang around in an American car enthusiast forum

Not *every* American is a DIY car nut, ya know
__________________
|
|
|
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #39
328Ci2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 165
My Ride: 2000 328Ci Topasblau
I'm not sure if there was a defining era in Europe like the 60s-70s muscle car era in the US, but that's what most people point to as the reason the USA appears to be the culture most in love with cars.

With regard to r1cers and the dub crowd, nobody ever told them that you can't polish a turd. $2000 wheels don't make a $1000 car look better.

Last edited by 328Ci2000; 04-16-2009 at 08:59 AM. Reason: I think I used a term we can't use...
328Ci2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #40
Fooljam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NA
Posts: 888
My Ride: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiXi View Post
That's sick.

Thus, my guess it that your average American can afford a BMW and your average European maybe cannot.
I don't think the average american can afford to own a BMW and does not even know what it is.
Bimmers are cheaper in the US alright, but they are still expensive cars to own and service it is still rare to see bimmers in the US, unless you live in Orange County and the likes.
Fooljam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use