E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

View Poll Results: Who knows best about bimmers?
Americans know better that's right 17 34.69%
No Europeans know better 15 30.61%
Neither, Hulk Hogan knows best! 17 34.69%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #41
Fooljam

My Ride: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayce185 View Post
I guess you can believe right when you hang around in an American car enthusiast forum
Don't get your point mate?

Quote:
Not *every* American is a DIY car nut, ya know
Sure of course. Just making generalities here.
Fooljam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #42
MileHiXi
Banned

My Ride: '02 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooljam View Post
You know that you are from Colorado

It sure looks like I am when I look outside. Just up the road:

MileHiXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #43
Fooljam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiXi View Post
It sure looks like I am when I look outside. Just up the road:

Oh man
Old 04-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #44
MileHiXi
Banned

My Ride: '02 330xi
To make it Beemer related:

Uh oh I forgot to cover up my license plates!! I hope no one steals my cars' identity.

At that altitude my poor car had approximately 36% less power.

Last edited by MileHiXi; 04-16-2009 at 09:10 AM.
MileHiXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #45
328Ci2000

My Ride: 2000 328Ci Topasblau
Quote:
I don't think the average american can afford to own a BMW and does not even know what it is.
Bimmers are cheaper in the US alright, but they are still expensive cars to own and service it is still rare to see bimmers in the US, unless you live in Orange County and the likes.
Most Americans can't afford a BMW, so most people that can't afford the financing will lease to avoid the big payments and enjoy free scheduled maintenance.

They are anything but rare where I live. I enjoy some BMW eye candy daily.

I will do anything that doesn't require a lift or special tools and my local BMW dealer will get paid to do the rest. It's not a cheap car to properly maintain, but it's worth it.

Those that buy a BMW and decide to modify them usually are pretty picky and knowledgable. But this is probably anywhere in the world.
328Ci2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #46
skang330

My Ride: 2005 E46 330ci
Send a message via AIM to skang330
Quote:
Yeah well I exactly said the countrary. Never meant to say americains have less knowledge and taste since I think this is the opposite. this is the point of this thread.

The thing that amazes me is the fact you take your bimmer upside down. Engine, trans, diff, everything. That helps to understand how the car works.
Culture is different that's correct. EU peps don't take their car upside down.
Well I do, but that's a rare exeption I believe :-)
this car is so sexy
skang330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #47
Fooljam

Quote:
Originally Posted by skang2535 View Post
this car is so sexy
Which one?
Old 04-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #48
Eldano

My Ride: BMW 328i -98
When you guys in the US build a BMW that is faster then this one and still road legal you let me know

http://www.loaded.se/sd_page/25/1/index.php?

The M3 CSL "Loaded" is built in the EU and is road legal in Germany.

EU ftw
Eldano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #49
SIM\\\

My Ride: DINAN '03 330xi
I think it has alot to do with the availability of the car. In the US, BMW is seen as an upscale brand where as in Europe it is much more prominent in vehicles available. BMW is to EU what Ford or CHevy is to the US with an assortment of vehicles from relatively inexpensive to very expensive loaded vehicles. In the US, we only get the premium line of BMW's and no base line.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #50
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM\\\ View Post
I think it has alot to do with the availability of the car. In the US, BMW is seen as an upscale brand where as in Europe it is much more prominent in vehicles available. BMW is to EU what Ford or CHevy is to the US with an assortment of vehicles from relatively inexpensive to very expensive loaded vehicles. In the US, we only get the premium line of BMW's and no base line.
Then tell me why you don't get the BMW Individual system, or you didn't get the CSL

I agree that your base line is way cheaper though. A brand spanking new M3 costs 55k USD base price, whereas we pay 66K EUR. Do the math.
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #51
Fooljam

Quote:
or you didn't get the CSL
Did not get the road homologation?
Old 04-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #52
Rayce185

Quote:
Did not get the road homologation?
You don't think BMW could have worked it out if they wanted to?
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Old 04-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #53
Fooljam

Quote:
You don't think BMW could have worked it out if they wanted to?
Sure but that is not the point they never intended to sell the CSL in the US.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #54
CRXnut

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I think there is couple of reasons:
1. In US the BMW is something special - that way it attracts enthusiasts
2. It's huge country with large population where everyone speaks the same language - the knowledge in Europe is scattered into smaller regional forums
3. as noted before - rules for modding not as strict as in EU
CRXnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #55
Safar

My Ride: comes with blow
Quote:
Then tell me why you don't get the BMW Individual system, or you didn't get the CSL

I agree that your base line is way cheaper though. A brand spanking new M3 costs 55k USD base price, whereas we pay 66K EUR. Do the math.
That's Germany. Base price for an M3 in the Netherlands is about EUR 90k. Do the math
1987 Suzuki VS1400
1996 Suzuki LS650 Sold
1984 Kawasaki 305CSR RIP

Went from 305cc > 650cc > 1400cc > 2800cc
No prizes for guessing what my next engine will be...

Safar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #56
Rayce185

Quote:
Sure but that is not the point they never intended to sell the CSL in the US.
You're missing the point. I was referring to SIM/// saying that the US only get the premium BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXnut View Post
I think there is couple of reasons:
1. In US the BMW is something special - that way it attracts enthusiasts
2. It's huge country with large population where everyone speaks the same language - the knowledge in Europe is scattered into smaller regional forums
3. as noted before - rules for modding not as strict as in EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safar View Post
That's Germany. Base price for an M3 in the Netherlands is about EUR 90k. Do the math
There ya go. I'd go as far as saying that we have the greater enthusiasts, if fewer, if we are willing to dish out that kind of cash for a stock car.

I think Scandinavian countries take the cake though, when it comes to car pricing. Used E46 M3's for over 100K and all.

Oh and: It may be old, but people should check out Jeremy Clarkson's book "Motorworld" and maybe watch the episodes. It's pretty interesting to see how different countries and cultures relate to the car.
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Old 04-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #57
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
Part of the reason that BMW's are cheaper in the US is that the US-spec cars have a lower level of trim and equipment than the UK. Ergo, my 2000 330d sport has features not found on US models, e.g. black headliners, etc. Not much on their own, but all of these bits add up to a saving for US car owners. US car buyers are simply less demanding when it comes to standard spec on new cars - otherwise car manufacturers would offer these items.

There is certainly something in the argument that US owners try and "Euro" their Beamers - hence the CSL clone thing you've got going on over there. This in itself means that US owners research their cars more than Euro owners whose stock cars are already more to their taste.

In your quest to Euro-your-rides you naturally develop a taste for the finer things in life that us Euro's take for granted and voila, you end up paying more for an equivalent car than you would if you could buy a Euro spec car off the lot - it's a conspiracy, I tell you!

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #58
Safar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goughie View Post
Part of the reason that BMW's are cheaper in the US is that the US-spec cars have a lower level of trim and equipment than the UK. Ergo, my 2000 330d sport has features not found on US models, e.g. black headliners, etc. Not much on their own, but all of these bits add up to a saving for US car owners. US car buyers are simply less demanding when it comes to standard spec on new cars - otherwise car manufacturers would offer these items.
No disrespect intended, but do you seriously think that a black headliner option and clear corners are the reason behind the 100%-200% price difference? European cars are more expensive for one simple reason: tax.

Yes, there are differences between Euro-spec and US-spec models but these are not simply because they have a 'lower' trim level. US-spec cars e.g. are usually prewired for nav and cellphones. Euro-spec cars are not.

I doubt that someone in the Netherlands driving a stripped down 318i with cloth seats, manual rear windows, and 15" steel rims will agree that US spec cars are always of lower trim level.
1987 Suzuki VS1400
1996 Suzuki LS650 Sold
1984 Kawasaki 305CSR RIP

Old 04-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #59
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safar View Post
No disrespect intended, but do you seriously think that a black headliner option and clear corners are the reason behind the 100%-200% price difference? European cars are more expensive for one simple reason: tax.

Yes, there are differences between Euro-spec and US-spec models but these are not simply because they have a 'lower' trim level. US-spec cars e.g. are usually prewired for nav and cellphones. Euro-spec cars are not.

I doubt that someone in the Netherlands driving a stripped down 318i with cloth seats, manual rear windows, and 15" steel rims will agree that US spec cars are always of lower trim level.
No offence at all man. I'm obviously looking at this from a UK perspective, where we don't have the obscene taxation on new car sales that some of continental Europe have (especially the Nordic countries). In the UK sales tax (called VAT) is 15% - that's a national rate. As I understand it, states in the US can set their own sales tax levies

Taking your tax point on board, what I'm trying to get over then, is that the lower specs coupled to lower US sales taxes as well as a less demanding car buying public make it easier to have lower pricing in the US than in Europe.

On an unrelated matter, are US BMW drivers offered the Individual programme for cars built at Spartanburg?

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010

Last edited by Goughie; 04-16-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #60
Safar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goughie View Post
Taking your tax point on board, what I'm trying to get over then, is that the lower specs coupled to lower US sales taxes as well as a less demanding car buying public make it easier to have lower pricing in the US than in Europe.

On an unrelated matter, are US BMW drivers offered the Individual programme for cars built at Spartanburg?

Yeah I always wondered about the remaining bit as well. But like I said, I wouldn't say US cars are lower spec, just different. And whether US buyers are less demanding... not so sure either.

On the other hand you could argue that there is fiercer competition in the performance car market in the US. Whereas people here usually buy a BMW or Audi to serve as some silly status symbol, I've always told myself that Americans appreciate them as luxury/performance cars, as the manufacturer intended them to be. Probably also explains why you can't buy a 4 cilinder BMW in the States, or e.g. cloth seats.

Who can tell?
1987 Suzuki VS1400
1996 Suzuki LS650 Sold
1984 Kawasaki 305CSR RIP