E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
Dan99

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Inside Scoop On Future M Models

Source:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...x5_m_interview

Future BMW M Models and the 2010 BMW X6 M / X5 M - Interview

M is for muscle: We get the scoop on M models through 2015.

BY MICHAEL AUSTIN
June 2009

Like automakers everywhere, BMW is being squeezed by environmental issues (carbon-dioxide emissions, for one) and the need to improve the fuel economy of its fleet. What does this mean for the German automaker’s power-focused M division, with its fuel-hungry road gobblers? We recently asked *Ludwig Willisch, who heads the division.

Willisch told us that the next generation of M engines will have smaller displacement, which could mean less power. But turbocharging will help mitigate the decrease in displacement and should keep power levels about where they are today. And should the output drop, future products will lose pounds to maintain the power-to-weight ratios of today’s M products. Willisch even mentioned deleting somewhat heavy options such as power seats. Here’s what to expect from the M division in the next few years:

2009: M models of the X5 and X6 arrive this fall with an uprated version of BMW’s twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V-8 that bristles with 21 psi of boost, 555 horsepower, and 500 pound-feet of torque at a low 1500 rpm. A new launch-control function enables ridiculous 0-to-60 times in the low fours.

2012: Willisch told us the M5 and M6 will have an engine that is similar in concept to the X5/X6 M but not the same—maybe a small-displacement twin-turbo V-8 or even a radical twin-turbo V-6.

2014: An M version of the next-gen 1-series may arrive powered by a twin-turbo inline-four. BMW is looking at the business case before any engineering plans are made, but the goal would be about 300 horsepower with a 2900-pound curb weight.

2015: The next M3 will be the “best” M3 ever and faster than today’s car, said Willisch. Work on the future M3 hasn’t begun, but an inline-six and a V-6 are both being considered. Expect E30-like levels of mayhem.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
bmwTuner1

My Ride: Bmw, 330ci
NOOOOOO!!!!! were going into the 70's and 80's all over again...

the new gen M3 though!!! E30 FTW
Old 04-25-2009, 01:12 AM   #3
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
1 series with a turbo inline 4...and the m3 possibly with a V6? wtf
secono330ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:52 AM   #4
andrewjuma

My Ride: None
BMW, you just lost me to Audi and Mercedes, hell might buy a Lexus before a BMW. At least you still have my dad and brother, but only just!
andrewjuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
wiedrick2005

My Ride: POS
wow 300 horsepower in a 1 series.. That's unheard of!

"2014: An M version of the next-gen 1-series may arrive powered by a twin-turbo inline-four. BMW is looking at the business case before any engineering plans are made, but the goal would be about 300 horsepower with a 2900-pound curb weight."
wiedrick2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
sbocaj55

My Ride: 330
Send a message via AIM to sbocaj55
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwTuner1 View Post
NOOOOOO!!!!! were going into the 70's and 80's all over again...
which was the golden age of BMW. I for one am glad to see them going lower displacement motors and lighter cars. There's no point in a 600hp, 5,000lb car imo unless it can be fixed with a browning M2 and you're going to war with a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiedrick2005 View Post
wow 300 horsepower in a 1 series.. That's unheard of!
Well if they can keep the 300hp that's in the current 135, but shave off 500lbs...

Last edited by sbocaj55; 04-25-2009 at 04:18 PM.
sbocaj55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Inline 6 again in the M3? and shave off some weight. Back to the true roots of the M motorsport

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:28 AM   #8
bmwTuner1

My Ride: Bmw, 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbocaj55 View Post
which was the golden age of BMW. I for one am glad to see them going lower displacement motors and lighter cars. There's no point in a 600hp, 5,000lb car imo unless it can be fixed with a browning M2 and you're going to war with a small country.

True, I was thinking of the industry as a whole but youre right.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #9
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
I have yet to be disappointed by BMW products, so the future looks bright IMHO. Progression is the hallmark of a stable company, and BMW is pretty rock solid. Bring on the new ///M models!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
looking forward to it.......... i'm sure they know what they are doing a lot better than we think
Old 04-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
ldev869

My Ride: 02 ///M Trois
Send a message via AIM to ldev869 Send a message via MSN to ldev869
At first when I heard that ///M division was going F/I, I was a little uncertain of how It would turn out, this article gives me some assurance, but I have never lost hope in the ///M's and I know they will all be great cars.
euroaddiction
ldev869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #12
SDKmann

My Ride: 01 Cherokee
I am really liking the words "radical twin-turbo V6" even if it is a V6...
SDKmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
W///

My Ride: E30, E46, E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjuma View Post
BMW, you just lost me to Audi and Mercedes, hell might buy a Lexus before a BMW. At least you still have my dad and brother, but only just!

You are going to go to Audi and MB? Why, because BMW are going to go the FI route? Newsbreak, so are they.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbocaj55 View Post

Well if they can keep the 300hp that's in the current 135, but shave off 500lbs...
The 3 liter twin turbo is the first turbo'ed BMW engine in decades yet they still managed to win many many awards. While some members here might not agree with what cars are being released, one thing is for certain, when it comes to engines, they are all fantastic.
W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #14
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

You are going to go to Audi and MB? Why, because BMW are going to go the FI route? Newsbreak, so are they.

Yeah, his comment didn't make much sense to me either.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #15
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
BMW has stated over and over again the it will NEVER go to a V6. They feel very strongly about their inline six and recognize that it not only gives them an edge to other companies, but that it's the classic BMW trademark.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #16
Mirko

My Ride: Your girlfriend :)
I really don't care what engine they put in it so long as it is a true BMW. I am not a fan of these fat and unattached cars of late. I am sure the E92 M3 is awesome but compared to the E36 or even E30 its a pig. People of today want a big fast car that is quiet, comfortable and easy to drive and BMW is going that way. I think I will probably skip the M3 and just go to Porsche for my next car. I will know when I get there, which wont be for a few years as my E46 makes me happy.
Mirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #17
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
as my E46 makes me happy.
The E46 ///M3 wasn't praised (..by the online forum crowd) when it debuted, and neither was the E36 ///M3......

....it wasn't until later that these cars received appreciable stature. It's cyclical!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 01:28 AM   #18
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
If they make a Fvcking V6 i dont know what to think anymore. I can deal with the turbo, but switching to a V6 will just lose me as a customer...Atleast to their V6 cars. The smoothness of the I6 is what set the 3 series apart from every other car in its class

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:32 AM   #19
Sneaky

My Ride: Fixie
Damn ill be 27 in 2014

Ill most likely be in a pcar or gallardo by then.

Sig by So Lowww
Pictures I take
OVOxo till we overdose
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:42 AM   #20
Mirko

My Ride: Your girlfriend :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
The E46 ///M3 wasn't praised (..by the online forum crowd) when it debuted, and neither was the E36 ///M3......

....it wasn't until later that these cars received appreciable stature. It's cyclical!!!!!!!
I believe it!

For me the facelifted coupe looks the best out of the e46 crowd. If they had facelifted the M3 like the coupe I would've bought it.

The new styling has grown on me, coupe only. The sedan is okay and I would never buy it, rather get the 5 series or a Mercedes.

The 335i with M package and some mods can look really good but it feels a little too JDM. Maybe it's cause all the cars look so similar now and it reminds me of a Infiniti or something Japanese.
Mirko is offline   Reply With Quote