E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Gun guys: let's talk (SA XDm and Taurus Judge content).

So... I'm thinking of purchasing my first handgun. Number one on my list is the Springfield Armory XDm 9mm 19+1. I like the capacity, especially for range shooting. The problem is, I can't find anyplace (or anyone) that has an XDm available for rent, so can anybody comment on the XDm in comparison to the regular XD? I've got a decent amount of experience with the regular one.

Also... anybody got a Taurus Judge? I want one of these bad boys for home defense. It takes both .45 and .410, has a 2.5" or 3" chamber. This thing could really ruin an intruder's day.

I must admit, I love the fact that this thing has "THE JUDGE" engraved on it. Maybe that makes me a sucker for advertising, but that's okay with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

My Ride: 2011 Tundra Crewmax
1. the XDM has a better quality match grade barrel (more accurate)
2. you can change the back strap on the grip for variation in grip size
3. has better recoil system (heavy duty guide rod spring)
4. has striker status indicator (to verify weapon is cocked)- may have this on origional XD, but not certain
5. has a MRT (minimal reset trigger) similar to sig's SRT (short reset trigger)- this is a great improvement for follow up shots.
6. deeper, longer slide grasp serrations for grip
7. more texture on polymer frame for better grip and control.
8. 16 rd. mag vs. 12 rds in the origional service model XD .40
The XD is a good weapon to start with, but with the improvements.

I would go with an XDm in 9mm.
19+1 = ftw

That being said. If I could only own one handgun, it would be an HK or a Sig. The XDm would be a close second though.

SQ sound system
Seas Nextel Mids, Focal Utopia Mids, Focal BE tweeters, JL Audio 13tw5, Alpine PDX-4.150, Alpine PDX-1.600, Audison Bit One processor, Pioneer z150 hu

Last edited by learthworml; 03-28-2009 at 11:58 PM.
learthworml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Glock.

As far as the judge, I almost bought one last weekend at the gun show but I was at my self assigned 3 gun per day limit already.

Pretty neat gun overall.

Takes .45 COLT rounds.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
Ferm3

My Ride: 2003 Topaz Blue M3
The XD-9 Subcompact with the extended mag with grip is awesome....the Judge...particularly the Night Court Judge feels clunky...then again it is essentially a legal sawed off shotgun....and it's 45 long colt and .410.

The XD-9 subcompact is a great gun as is also the Judge....however you have several pros and cons.

XD-9 is light and has a fairly large capacity whereas the the Judge is heavier...louder...but packs more of a punch...potentially anyway.
One is a revolver and the other is a semi-auto.

XD has 2 external safeties (1911 grip safety and Glock style trigger safety) Judge has...well none that I can think of.

If you didn't want a shotgun and had a handgun already I'd say go for the judge...which is essentially a compact shotgun.

A bit more feedback from the OP would be nice.

Last edited by Ferm3; 03-29-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Ferm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
dwass325

Thanks

Have either of you had a chance to try the M? If it's really better than the XD, we're in business, as I really like the regular XD9. The price isn't too bad, either. My local place has it for $649 but I can probably get it for just under $500 via my dad (retired military and can still purchase guns on base).

Quote:
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

Old 03-29-2009, 12:03 AM   #6
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman9c View Post
Glock.

As far as the judge, I almost bought one last weekend at the gun show but I was at my self assigned 3 gun per day limit already.

Pretty neat gun overall.

Takes .45 COLT rounds.
The only Glock I have any experience with is the G19 and I'm not a fan of the ergonomics. Not a Glock hater... just not a big fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferm3 View Post
The XD-9 Subcompact with the extended mag with grip is awesome....the Judge...particularly the Night Court Judge feels clunky...then again it is essentially a legal sawed off shotgun....and it's 45 long colt and .410.

The XD-9 subcompact is a great gun as is also the Judge....however you have several pros and cons.

XD-9 is light and has a fairly large capacity whereas the the Judge is heavier...louder...but packs more of a punch...potentially anyway.
One is a revolver and the other is a semi-auto.

XD has 2 external safeties Judge has...well none that I can think of.

If you didn't want a shotgun and had a handgun already I'd say go for the judge...which is a compact shotgun.

A bit more feedback from the OP would be nice.
It's not an either/or situation I guess I was just looking for verification that the XDm is worth going for over the regular XD. The part about the Judge was kind of an afterthought. I'll probably buy the XDm within a month and the Judge later in the year.

I just LOVE the capacity on the XDm.

Quote:

Last edited by dwass325; 03-29-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
Ferm3

My Ride: 2003 Topaz Blue M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
The only Glock I have any experience with is the G19 and I'm not a fan of the ergonomics. Not a Glock hater... just not a big fan.

It's not an either/or situation I guess I was just looking for verification that the XDm is worth going for over the regular XD. I'll probably but the XDm within a month and the Judge later in the year.

I just LOVE the capacity on the XDm.
Glad I could help
Old 03-29-2009, 03:35 AM   #8
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
do NOT get the Judge. Those things are absolutely BS. You're so so so much better off picking up a .357 or .44 mag (if you're into wheel guns). the .410 shot shells are hard to come by, and loadings for them are sub-par. Even with the .45 LC rounds you're not getting the best performance. A .45 acp or 357/44 mag rounds will perform far better.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
benzfreak

My Ride: my ride
Yeah don't get the judge. My dad was gonna get it and heard way to many bad things from way to many people.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
do NOT get the Judge. Those things are absolutely BS. You're so so so much better off picking up a .357 or .44 mag (if you're into wheel guns). the .410 shot shells are hard to come by, and loadings for them are sub-par. Even with the .45 LC rounds you're not getting the best performance. A .45 acp or 357/44 mag rounds will perform far better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzfreak View Post
Yeah don't get the judge. My dad was gonna get it and heard way to many bad things from way to many people.
Mucho thanko guys.

Quote:

Old 03-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
bradleyg
unregistered user

My Ride: '02 325ci

Here's a pic of my judge, 6 inch barrel model, propped up by an 8mm Mauser round. Its a great gun, fun as hell to shoot. Load it up with a combo of both .410 buckshot or .45 Colt hollow points or anything else like 250gr lead flat nose.
bradleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #12
3erdriver

My Ride: The Subway/NYC Taxi
The Judge is a novelty, not a real home defense gun. I you want a serious home defense pistol, get a revolver in 44mag, or 357 mag. 410 shot shells are worthless unless your rat hunting...and the 45 Long Colt is just too expensive....I personally don't like any XD's, but that's because I prefer Glocks. I have nothing against them, and hear great things all around. If it fits your hand and you're comfortable shooting it I say go for it.
3erdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #13
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
The Judge is pretty neat for what it is IMO.

Perfect for a canoe or hiking in the woods, etc.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #14
bradleyg
unregistered user

My Ride: '02 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3erdriver View Post
The Judge is a novelty, not a real home defense gun. I you want a serious home defense pistol, get a revolver in 44mag, or 357 mag. 410 shot shells are worthless unless your rat hunting...and the 45 Long Colt is just too expensive....I personally don't like any XD's, but that's because I prefer Glocks. I have nothing against them, and hear great things all around. If it fits your hand and you're comfortable shooting it I say go for it.
I think its quite useful. Trust me, having a shotgun in your hand the size of a pistol is great for home defense. Pretty sure some intruder coming in through the window and getting sprayed in the face with a blast of steel shot is going to be deterred. Would I do battle with it? No, I've got other guns for that. I think that people who hate on the judge clearly don't own one, and have probably never fired one.

The judge isn't a new concept, there have been other .45 colt .410 pistols for years, my grandfather had a 45 colt 410 Derringer years and years ago (small over-under two shot pistol for those unfamiliar).
bradleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #15
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
If you like the feel of the XDM, it would be a great gun (especially at under $500 ). I didn't really care for the weight distro myself, but everybody is different. They've done a lot for the money. I personally like the Judge for what it is, but more as a car or camping gun than for HD. For HD I'd say get a real shotty if you want something in addition to the XDM.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #16
3erdriver

My Ride: The Subway/NYC Taxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyg View Post
I think its quite useful. Trust me, having a shotgun in your hand the size of a pistol is great for home defense. Pretty sure some intruder coming in through the window and getting sprayed in the face with a blast of steel shot is going to be deterred. Would I do battle with it? No, I've got other guns for that. I think that people who hate on the judge clearly don't own one, and have probably never fired one.

The judge isn't a new concept, there have been other .45 colt .410 pistols for years, my grandfather had a 45 colt 410 Derringer years and years ago (small over-under two shot pistol for those unfamiliar).
I have fired a judge. And believe me I do think it's a great gun. A blast for range days. But I stand by my home defense statement. I mean anything is better than nothing, but I would never make it my primary home defense weapon. I think there are plenty of better option. If you want a shotgun use a shotgun, if you want a pistol use something that's a little more practicalfor home defense. But that's just my opinion.
3erdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #17
justinrn21

My Ride: 00 323ci / 91 318is
I've been looking at the XD9's and the XDm9's and I cannot decide which one I want. I think it will come down to which one I can get a better deal on. Also, is it worth the extra $$ to get the tactical stuff, or is it the type of think that stays in your gun bag?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:46 PM   #18
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3erdriver View Post
I have fired a judge. And believe me I do think it's a great gun. A blast for range days. But I stand by my home defense statement. I mean anything is better than nothing, but I would never make it my primary home defense weapon. I think there are plenty of better option. If you want a shotgun use a shotgun, if you want a pistol use something that's a little more practicalfor home defense. But that's just my opinion.
+1. Judge is a gimmick/novelty. If you look at the performance of the buck loadings for the .410, they're hard to find and on top of it, the penetration is poor. Using bird shot for defense is flat up stupid.

A coworker of mine has one for fun, but he leaves his serious home defense to something else.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #19
dwass325

Update: I have two 19+1 9mm XDMs on order - one with and one without night sights. This was the dealer's recommendation since I said I didn't really care about the night sights. Whichever one I don't take, my dad will most likely buy, so we'll have two XDMs in the family I'm paying around 30% less than the market price.

Do you guys think I'll regret it if I forego the night sights? I live in a low-crime area but you can never be too prepared. Just not sure if they are really of any benefit. I've shot a couple XDs before and I honestly don't remember if they had night sights or not. With the pricing I'm getting, it's a $67 addition.

Not-so-fun fact: where I live, I cannot legally have any more than 15rds loaded at any given time. I can have as many mags as I want with 15rds in each of them, but >15rds = dangerous

Quote:

Old 04-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #20
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

My Ride: 2011 Tundra Crewmax
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Update: I have two 19+1 9mm XDMs on order - one with and one without night sights. This was the dealer's recommendation since I said I didn't really care about the night sights. Whichever one I don't take, my dad will most likely buy, so we'll have two XDMs in the family I'm paying around 30% less than the market price.

Do you guys think I'll regret it if I forego the night sights? I live in a low-crime area but you can never be too prepared. Just not sure if they are really of any benefit. I've shot a couple XDs before and I honestly don't remember if they had night sights or not. With the pricing I'm getting, it's a $67 addition.

Not-so-fun fact: where I live, I cannot legally have any more than 15rds loaded at any given time. I can have as many mags as I want with 15rds in each of them, but >15rds = dangerous
I prefer night sights, but I have a Streamlight TLR-2 light/laser combo zeroed for 10 yards. If anyone ever breaks into my house(which I doubt because I live in a safe neighborhood), I will just shoot where the red dot is XDm with TLR-2 ftw!

SQ sound system
Seas Nextel Mids, Focal Utopia Mids, Focal BE tweeters, JL Audio 13tw5, Alpine PDX-4.150, Alpine PDX-1.600, Audison Bit One processor, Pioneer z150 hu
learthworml is offline   Reply With Quote