E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Kanaljen

My Ride: 2002 330i, Honda F4
Just bought pss10, is one shock faulty?

Ok, some excitement, frustration and vendor-rant coming...

Just received my Bilstein pss10 in the mail!

All excited, I tore the box open, took out and inspected all the parts.

I wanted to test the adjustable shocks, so I compressed one shock at the time by leaning over and putting my weight on it. I didn't know if this would work; maybe you needed 1 ton of car on top of them..

But sure enough, as suspected, setting 1 made it softer, it compressed pretty quickly. Setting 10, it compressed a lot slower/much stiffer. I.e., I could feel a BIG difference between the settings. (pss9 must be diff, think I remember that a higher rating was softer and 1 was stiffer)

Now, I did this for the 4th shock, (the front right) and no difference between setting 1 and 10.. WTF, I went back, tested the other three.. could feel the difference, went back to the 4th, no difference; it was very hard all the time, regardless of the setting.

So, my conclusion is that the front right one doesn't work correctly.. If I wouldn't be able to feel any difference between the settings for all four, I would draw the conclusion that you can't really test them that way. BUT, when three of them is working one way, and the fourth is working a different, my conclusion is that one is faulty.

I called and e-mailed the vendor (yet to be named..) asking for a swap of the front right shock. They came back saying that you can not feel a difference between the settings.. so I should be ok.. (mind you, three of them, I could! clearly too!). The vendor also told me to contact Bilstein for tech input. I wrote back explaining the situation again and argued how their response didn't make sense..(since I clearly COULD feel the difference between the setting for 3 out of the 4 shocks)

I also called Bilstein and they said you can feel the difference between the settings and thought it was weird that one was different and... suggested that I took it back to the vendor for a swap to be sure.

What would YOU do next? Thoughts?
02 330i, b-sapphire, L&S package, Tan/black leather, 18" M72, Tint, Sway bars, F & R strut braces, LTW flywheel, M5 clutch, 3.15 diff, Modded exhaust, SSK, U-drive pullies, Clear front corners, smoked tail and sides, stealth bulbs, B/W roundels, blacked-out emblem, trunk spoiler, Bi-xenon, angle eyes, HID fog lights, drilled Brembo, LTW battery, VDO gauges, Premium HK, extra amps & subs, ESS S/C, PS2 235,265, pss10, adj rear ctrl arms, IC coming
Kanaljen is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
intresting, then obviously there is something wrong there.. Who is the vendor.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Kanaljen

Well, that is what I thought too..

But the vendor doesn't seem to think so. I'm a bit surprised that they don't send me a new one, get the other one back, done! (Heck, if they are so sure that it's fine, they would only be out shipping; and if they are not sure, shouldn't they swap it out??)

Instead, starting to argue about how you can't tell (after I explained that I COULD tell the diff with the other 3 shocks) and asking me to call Bilstein..

Right now I'm disappointed but hoping they will draw the same obvious conclusion and make things right. If that doesn't happen, I will raise hell!

Can't blame them for a faulty shock, but you can definitely be pissed if they treat you like crap after the credit card is swiped..

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2Bimmer View Post
intresting, then obviously there is something wrong there.. Who is the vendor.
02 330i, b-sapphire, L&S package, Tan/black leather, 18" M72, Tint, Sway bars, F & R strut braces, LTW flywheel, M5 clutch, 3.15 diff, Modded exhaust, SSK, U-drive pullies, Clear front corners, smoked tail and sides, stealth bulbs, B/W roundels, blacked-out emblem, trunk spoiler, Bi-xenon, angle eyes, HID fog lights, drilled Brembo, LTW battery, VDO gauges, Premium HK, extra amps & subs, ESS S/C, PS2 235,265, pss10, adj rear ctrl arms, IC coming
Old 04-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
n2Bimmer

what did Bilstein say.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Kanaljen

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2Bimmer View Post
what did Bilstein say.
"I also called Bilstein and they said you can feel the difference between the settings and thought it was weird that one was different and... suggested that I took it back to the vendor for a swap to be sure."

I guess if they wont swap the shock, I will return every part and buy somewhere else. Or, ask them to pay for a test of the shock at Bilstein. I could pay if it's ok, they should pay if it isn't.

Again, really surprised how they choose to handle this. I can tell a difference between the setting, Bilstein confirms this as well, but they choose to say "I checked the kits here and you can't tell a diff between the settings". "my CS rep might call you to discuss" and "call Bilstein for techincal advise"

Anyone, am I missing something here, what do you think, what would you do?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
n2Bimmer

Have Bilstein put that in wrighting via email and forward it to the vendor. If they still dont give you what you want simply return it and get them from someone else.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Forward the email from Bilstein to the vendor. Hopefully they'll do the swap for you and not argue that they know better than Bilstein about how their shocks should work...
Old 04-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
Kanaljen

oh it's getting better...

So, I called the rep this morning since I haven't heard back, also sent an e-mail.

Nothing... not a call or e-mail back..

I then called the CS after reading the "100% Satisfaction Garanteed" clause on their site.. You know, the deal about if for any reason you're not 100% satisfy with one of our products, we'll make it right..

Me: I started off by explaining how I did a self test of the 4 shocks, not knowing if that would work, and how three of the shocks worked the same but one was very different. And how I called Bilstein to verify my findings.. Explained that I wouldn't be as worried if all 4 shocks were acting the same way (any way) but am def worried since one shock is very different from the other 3. Went on to provide details on how I put my body weight on each of the shocks and how I could tell how it compressed a lot quicker at setting 1 compared to setting 10.. but how one shock, didn't behave like that at all.. instead it was just super stiff regardless of the setting..

Bob: "Ok" (awkward silence..)

Me: Ok? Ugh, well, the issue is that I might have a faulty shock and I would like to swap it out for a new one or send the whole kit back if that would be easier for you

Bob: "Have you called Bilstein, they should have warranty on their parts"

Me: "Yes, I contacted them to ask for guidance and they verified that you can tell a difference when testing it, and that it was strange that one shock was acting so differently than the other 3.. Anyway, I bought it from you and I'm affraid that one part is faulty so I would like to arrange for swapping it out or any other suggestion you have to get this resolved.

Bob: Silence

Me: Hello?

Bob: Yes? (silence)

Me: Well, how can we arrange for my shock to be exchanged for a new one??

Bob: "I explained that Bilstein has warranty on their product, you need to bring it up with them"

Me: "Ok, let me clarify my expectations: I bought this kit from you, not Bilstein, most likely, one of the parts in the kit is faulty so I want you to arrange for sending me a new one, together with an RMA shipping label so I can return the faulty one." If you want to discuss warranty claims with Bilstein, go ahead, but if you want to make right by honoring your "Satifaction Guaranteed" promise to one of YOUR customers, I would think getting the right part to me asap would be the way to go!"

Bob: "a slight chuckle".. Ok.. Yeah.. we don't know that.. (??) and Bilstein should be able to test the shock for you..

Me: I'm sure they could but, again, I didn't buy it from them, I bought it from you and as the vendor I would expect you to take a faulty part back in exchange for a new one and would be very surprised if you're trying to hand me off to the manufacturer of the part!

Bob: Ok... more silence...

Me: Ok, for some reason, you're completely unable to unwilling to even try to help one of your customers, can I please speak to your manager

Bob: In a high pitch sarcastic tone "Suuure"

Of course I reached the voice mail. Can't wait to see how I can get abused some more.. Such a contrast.. before swiping my credit card, to after..
Old 04-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Dispute the charge on your credit card. This ALWAYS gets a reaction out of the vendor.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
n2Bimmer

lol, this is funny and annoying. Okay please tell us who the Vendor is.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
rowdy lee

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Too sad

Isn't there some credit card provision where they award triple damages, or something, for a major screw-up?
Don't know any details....
Old 04-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
KtecR

My Ride: ZHP, S2K, 4Runner
Send a message via AIM to KtecR
post who the vendor is. A potential negative review regarding their service on this site will hopefully get them to play ball. You shouldn't have to deal with bilstein

2008 S2000: Chicane Silver/Red; 6 spd
2007 KLR 650
2004 330i ZHP: AW/Gray Leather; 6spd
1996 4Runner SR5: White/Tan
1980 CB400T

Sold:
2000 328Ci: TiAg/Black Leather; 5spd
2004 M3: TiAg/Black Leather; SMG
1995 318i: Arctic Gray/Gray Leather; 5spd
1986 325es: Red/Black Cloth; 5spd
KtecR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #13
nicholasglass

My Ride: 01 325xi
Yeah, go with your credit card company - tell them you got faulty parts after paying. Also, let everyone here know which vendor it is that is treating you like such crap, so we can all benefit by not spending our money with them. Times are tough right now, vendors have to stand by their sales if they want to retain customers for the long run.
nicholasglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #14
Junaid

My Ride: .
return it altogether. how long have you had this? **** it, i've done it and truthfully i didnt even pack it up i threw it on the table got my money and left
Junaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #15
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
You bought it off ebay, didn't you?
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:05 PM   #16
n2Bimmer

lol
Old 04-28-2009, 05:05 PM   #17
xcelr8dbmw

My Ride: 2007 X5 4.8
Do the credit card complaint. You as the customer have a right. Call the credit card comany, document all your calls to the vendor and names times ect. you will have to write in your complaint to the credit company who will take over litigation with the vendor and if they cant get it right they will do a charge back, you keep the parts and your money. i had to do this with the morons at modcity who screwd up my wheel order.

Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net
xcelr8dbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:27 PM   #18
Kanaljen

BavAuto fell miles short!!

First, thanks for supporting words and good suggestions!

After another day of no response from the sales rep (after 2 calls and 2 e-mails) and only being verbally raped by a CS rep (Bob) and the manager (Dan, who was better but also answers my thoughts around what type of manager would let this crap fly; you'll get details and reasoning below), I feel I have given the company a chance to stand behind the products they sell and the boilerplate "100% satisfaction guaranteed" BS the use to lure buyers to their company.

I bought my pss10 kit from Bavarian Auto, thinking I dealt with a reputable and professional company.
http://www.bavauto.com/

I have bought a lot of stuff off Internet and regular vendor alike and I have NEVER experience such a poor approach and response to an issue!!

My last conversation with the manager (of CS I assume), lead to ME driving to visit with Bilstein themselves!

Here is why they fell short imo:
- No response to several e-mails and calls to the sales rep (last e-mail ended in "if you have questions about the shocks, contact Bilstein", - "my CS rep might call you to discuss further"

- Completely ridiculed and verbally abused by an arrogant CS rep when I called to ask how to handle the situation. I can not exaggerate the level of incompetency and complete unwillingness to do anything to help, if I tried!

- Met by a manger who missed the opportunity to set things right but instead felt the best approach was to reiterat the BS already provided in a very unprofessional, aggressive and demeaning manner. This conversation ended in me driving to the Bilstein factory myself in attempt to get this resolved.

Here is what I have experienced from other vendors/my expectations
Me: "I think one shock is bad, your thoughts, what should we do?"

Another vendor: "I am so sorry to hear that you have issues, it certainly sounds like there is a chance that you have a faulty shock, only testing will tell us for certain, but you should not have to deal with that, I have already sent you a new one, with a return label! Again, sorry to hear about your issue, don't hesitate to call me personally if you have any questions!"

What surprised me more than anything is that the culture at BavAuto seems to create this situation. We have all been there, dealing with a person that should have the job he/she's having... but three different employees, at different positions and levels, and they all seem to work there only to undermine the company's success and reputation?? What's the odds?

Also, it begs the question, even/especially for everyone who have had a great experience when dealing with BavAuto: How will they respond to an issues in the future? Will they stand behind a part and said service level then?

On a positive note: Bilstein was great!!. In short, I stopped by, met with the manager of quality, was brought into the shop, he checked my two shocks (brought one for comparison) and confirmed that something was definitely not right with one, and offered to swap them right there. Since he didn't have any in stock, he offered to take them apart and repair if necessary and UPS them back to me free-of-charge. Oh, he also would follow up with me to make sure everything was ok; something I would bet he will do too...

Now that is a vendor (who didn't have to do anything imo), who took the opportunity to gain a happy end-user! And he did, while BavAuto lost one forever!

Last edited by Kanaljen; 04-28-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:34 PM   #19
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
Curse bad customer service! That is one of the most important components of running a business.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #20
n2Bimmer

Thats sucks, Ive used Bavauto multiple times and never had an issue.