E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #21
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Are you serious? Bavauto said that crap to you? I can't believe that. I've had excellent service from them.

Good luck getting it sorted out
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #22
Kanaljen

My Ride: 2002 330i, Honda F4
Me too... then I had an issue, which in my book is when companies have the opportunity to show their true colors..

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2Bimmer View Post
Thats sucks, Ive used Bavauto multiple times and never had an issue.
02 330i, b-sapphire, L&S package, Tan/black leather, 18" M72, Tint, Sway bars, F & R strut braces, LTW flywheel, M5 clutch, 3.15 diff, Modded exhaust, SSK, U-drive pullies, Clear front corners, smoked tail and sides, stealth bulbs, B/W roundels, blacked-out emblem, trunk spoiler, Bi-xenon, angle eyes, HID fog lights, drilled Brembo, LTW battery, VDO gauges, Premium HK, extra amps & subs, ESS S/C, PS2 235,265, pss10, adj rear ctrl arms, IC coming
Kanaljen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:38 AM   #23
nicholasglass

My Ride: 01 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaljen View Post
Me too... then I had an issue, which in my book is when companies have the opportunity to show their true colors..
Werd!!!!!
nicholasglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:44 AM   #24
nicholasglass

Quote:
fyi - i just emailed their CS and told them that they are getting a bad name by being such a holes and that crap like this would affect my buying decisions in the future, so they better get with it and make things right. I know you allready handled it on your end, but i think that they should make ammends with you.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:03 AM   #25
Kanaljen

Appreciate the support!

Actually, after all is settled and done, I will actually spend a few more minutes with them, just to explain how incredibly bad their CS was when I had this issue. Maybe someone will listen and make things better for future buyers.
Not too hopeful though, given that I spoke to three different people, one being a manager, and got the same response/treatment. Still waiting for someone to scream "you've got punked!!!!"

But, there are lots of vendors out there and the last thing I will do is encourage their behaviour by spending another dime on them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasglass View Post
fyi - i just emailed their CS and told them that they are getting a bad name by being such a holes and that crap like this would affect my buying decisions in the future, so they better get with it and make things right. I know you allready handled it on your end, but i think that they should make ammends with you.
02 330i, b-sapphire, L&S package, Tan/black leather, 18" M72, Tint, Sway bars, F & R strut braces, LTW flywheel, M5 clutch, 3.15 diff, Modded exhaust, SSK, U-drive pullies, Clear front corners, smoked tail and sides, stealth bulbs, B/W roundels, blacked-out emblem, trunk spoiler, Bi-xenon, angle eyes, HID fog lights, drilled Brembo, LTW battery, VDO gauges, Premium HK, extra amps & subs, ESS S/C, PS2 235,265, pss10, adj rear ctrl arms, IC coming
Old 04-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #26
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I used to call BavAuto all the time when i was 18 and they always helped me out, even with the dumbest of dumb questions.

That was almost ten years ago though. Times have changed.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #27
ToddInLou

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
Hearing stories like yours from a company like BavAuto is more than enough to make me stay away from even ordering a touch up pen from them.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #28
330I6SPD

My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
I lost much respect for Bavauto after ordering the 3/8 drive allen wrench set for the trans and diff redline fluid, receiving it, getting the car in the air for the job, getting under it and only than finding out that the size I need for an '05 6spd manual is not provided in the set. Only 1 of the 3 were used (the diff size). Talk about pissed off, $45 for the tools that their catalog says I need to do the job correctly and I am unable to do the trans service?
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:48 AM   #29
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
should have gone with TMS!

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET28/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #30
Kanaljen

Then, imagine if you experience the followinging when you try to return it for a full refund (per their 100% satisfaction).

- "Hey, I have this issue with a kit I just bought from you, this is what's going on...

BA: "Ok.."

- "Uuuh, yeah.. so I want to return it and I'm also curious why the set is not complete.."

BA: "It's complete"

- "What?"

BA: "The set works, you probably used the wrong size"

- "Ugh.. (hard to find words..), I'm sure I know which size I need, I tried each one provided in your kit, and it ain't there.

BA: "Ok"

- "Ok??"

BA: Silence...

- Hello, are you there? do you understand what I'm telling you??

BA: "Yes... silence"

- Wtf, let me talk to your manager instead!

- BA: "Suuuuure"

- BA: Hello. (manager)

- Start from the top again!

I'm serious, it was SO bad, with three different people, that I'm not even trying to be funny.. it just is! Poor, poor people.. Racked up to lessons learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330I6SPD View Post
I lost much respect for Bavauto after ordering the 3/8 drive allen wrench set for the trans and diff redline fluid, receiving it, getting the car in the air for the job, getting under it and only than finding out that the size I need for an '05 6spd manual is not provided in the set. Only 1 of the 3 were used (the diff size). Talk about pissed off, $45 for the tools that their catalog says I need to do the job correctly and I am unable to do the trans service?
Old 04-29-2009, 05:24 PM   #31
Kanaljen

Alright, full circle, just wanted to post what's really an answer to my initial Q "is my shock faulty?"

Bilstein tested it, verified that it didn't work correctly, took it apart and found an o-ring that was bad or installed incorrectly at the factory.

They fixed it, tested it again, and rushed it to me free of charge!

Again, for you who are on the fence between brands of shocks/coilovers, Bilstein gets my nod as they proved to me (when they could have sent me back to the place I bought them from) that they are behind their product and willing to go far behind expectations to get/retatin a happy customer!

I DID call BavAuto back.. I just told the manager that "yes, the shock had to be repaired, Bilstein took care of me, looking forward to get them installed".

Response "Ok, I'm glad that we could get that taken care off for you".

I actually laughed a bit and responded that I took care of it, I was essentially forced to go to the manufacturer of the part I bought from BavAuto just to get things fixed, which is ridiculous, especially given all the promised around warranty and 100% satisfaction"

Response: "Well, I'm glad that we found the quickest way"

Me: "No we didn't, the fastest way would have been if the first guy (Jared, who has YET to respond to my e-mails and calls) I tried to get help from actually responded to my calls and e-mail and shown some remote sliver of willingness"

Response "Well..

Me cutting him off "Anyway, I have it fixed, I look forward to get them on my car"

"Thank you for calling me back.. ..

"You're welcome"

Click.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #32
nicholasglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
should have gone with TMS!
+1 TMS

Glad you got your coilover fixed and that you get to do your replace finally.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:49 PM   #33
AL330CI

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Alright, full circle, just wanted to post what's really an answer to my initial Q "is my shock faulty?"

Bilstein tested it, verified that it didn't work correctly, took it apart and found an o-ring that was bad or installed incorrectly at the factory.

They fixed it, tested it again, and rushed it to me free of charge!

Again, for you who are on the fence between brands of shocks/coilovers, Bilstein gets my nod as they proved to me (when they could have sent me back to the place I bought them from) that they are behind their product and willing to go far behind expectations to get/retatin a happy customer!

I DID call BavAuto back.. I just told the manager that "yes, the shock had to be repaired, Bilstein took care of me, looking forward to get them installed".

Response "Ok, I'm glad that we could get that taken care off for you".

I actually laughed a bit and responded that I took care of it, I was essentially forced to go to the manufacturer of the part I bought from BavAuto just to get things fixed, which is ridiculous, especially given all the promised around warranty and 100% satisfaction"

Response: "Well, I'm glad that we found the quickest way"

Me: "No we didn't, the fastest way would have been if the first guy (Jared, who has YET to respond to my e-mails and calls) I tried to get help from actually responded to my calls and e-mail and shown some remote sliver of willingness"

Response "Well..

Me cutting him off "Anyway, I have it fixed, I look forward to get them on my car"

"Thank you for calling me back.. ..

"You're welcome"

Click.
Glad to hear you've been taken care of. Bilstein's westcoast HQ is really close to you. Their in Poway, which is just outside north of San Diego. If you ever have any problem with their shocks agian, it a lot faster to just call them direct and give them a visit.
AL330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #34
Fatal Flash

My Ride: '12 RRS, '12 Evoque
i didnt read, but i THINK you have this all done with. im procrastinating with my work so i dont wanna read the whole context of the conversations with bilstein. IF you didn't get it settled, give it back, and i can hook you up.

how much did you pay?
i have a contact that sells PSS10's for 1450 and probably cheaper shipping. Pm me if you want to return to bav auto and purchase from these guys...they are the best OEM/aftermarket retailer i've EVER dealt with and i know them all personally.

i just got Pss10's from them a month ago, couldn't be ANY happier

Fatal Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #35
Kanaljen

Thanks for the offer but Bilstein said they found the issue, repaired the shock and it should arrive today!

Wish I new before making the mistake to buy from BavAuto.. as they refused to help me!
I should have researched the level of CS before my purchase.. lots of people with the same experience as I once they have an issues, question, return, or whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal Flash View Post
i didnt read, but i THINK you have this all done with. im procrastinating with my work so i dont wanna read the whole context of the conversations with bilstein. IF you didn't get it settled, give it back, and i can hook you up.

how much did you pay?
i have a contact that sells PSS10's for 1450 and probably cheaper shipping. Pm me if you want to return to bav auto and purchase from these guys...they are the best OEM/aftermarket retailer i've EVER dealt with and i know them all personally.

i just got Pss10's from them a month ago, couldn't be ANY happier
Old 05-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #36
Kanaljen

Ok, all four corners done with the pss10!

Installation:
Much easier than I thought.. got a little confused after I saw some parts in the BMW maintenance book but not included in the kit and not on my car.. Later realized (after actually reading..) that is was for a "rough road" package/xi"... Now looking back, it was VERY easy and straight forward! Can't say how long it took, since I did do lots of other checking, lubing, trimming (those UUC sways no longer have that super sharp edge that can score the drive axels when you jack up the car..). If I would do it again, I would say 45min-1 hour per corner.

Feeling
Very nice!! I was affraid of a bouncy or rough ride.. Not so much.. With setting of 4 front, 3 rear (1 being softest), it rides better than stock! A little stiffer, but with a nice blend of solid'nes and even some feeling of softness up to a point.. Eats up small bumps in the road nicely.. definietly not bouncy, just solid firm and roubus feel!

When I crank it to 10 all around, you can definitely tell the difference, the car gets very stiff.. can imagine that it would be great on the track but around time, it's a bit too bouncy/stiff..

Height:
I have it set to 4 turns from lowest in the front and some of the tire (235/40/18) is hidden. In the rear, I have it set to 3 or 4 turns from lowest, and the 265/35/18s are just a bit under the fender as well. I think I will lower it bit more in the rear to lessen the "raked" look. So maybe 4 turns from lowest front, and 2 from lowest rear, will be perfect.

If you want to really slam it with the pss10, I think you can def do that! Actually, you can even remove one adjustment ring in the front and the (only) adjustment ring in the rear and the car would be super low... estimating that ALL of the sidewall would be under the fender this way.. which is way too much imo..

I'll drive it for a week or two to let things settle.. then take it to the shop for an alignment (we'll see if I need adjustable ctrl arms in the rear...)

All in all, VERY happy with the pss10, actually better road feel than I thought it would be! And, of course, very happy that I didn't let BAVAUTO sucker me into not taking care of the faulty shock.. def glad that I took it to Bilstein myself so they could verify and repair the fault shock after realizing that BAVAUTO simply would not stand behind their product sold!

Last edited by Kanaljen; 05-03-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #37
wesCUHz

My Ride: BTLWAGN
Quote:
First, thanks for supporting words and good suggestions!

After another day of no response from the sales rep (after 2 calls and 2 e-mails) and only being verbally raped by a CS rep (Bob) and the manager (Dan, who was better but also answers my thoughts around what type of manager would let this crap fly; you'll get details and reasoning below), I feel I have given the company a chance to stand behind the products they sell and the boilerplate "100% satisfaction guaranteed" BS the use to lure buyers to their company.

I bought my pss10 kit from Bavarian Auto, thinking I dealt with a reputable and professional company.
http://www.bavauto.com/

I have bought a lot of stuff off Internet and regular vendor alike and I have NEVER experience such a poor approach and response to an issue!!

My last conversation with the manager (of CS I assume), lead to ME driving to visit with Bilstein themselves!

Here is why they fell short imo:
- No response to several e-mails and calls to the sales rep (last e-mail ended in "if you have questions about the shocks, contact Bilstein", - "my CS rep might call you to discuss further"

- Completely ridiculed and verbally abused by an arrogant CS rep when I called to ask how to handle the situation. I can not exaggerate the level of incompetency and complete unwillingness to do anything to help, if I tried!

- Met by a manger who missed the opportunity to set things right but instead felt the best approach was to reiterat the BS already provided in a very unprofessional, aggressive and demeaning manner. This conversation ended in me driving to the Bilstein factory myself in attempt to get this resolved.

Here is what I have experienced from other vendors/my expectations
Me: "I think one shock is bad, your thoughts, what should we do?"

Another vendor: "I am so sorry to hear that you have issues, it certainly sounds like there is a chance that you have a faulty shock, only testing will tell us for certain, but you should not have to deal with that, I have already sent you a new one, with a return label! Again, sorry to hear about your issue, don't hesitate to call me personally if you have any questions!"

What surprised me more than anything is that the culture at BavAuto seems to create this situation. We have all been there, dealing with a person that should have the job he/she's having... but three different employees, at different positions and levels, and they all seem to work there only to undermine the company's success and reputation?? What's the odds?

Also, it begs the question, even/especially for everyone who have had a great experience when dealing with BavAuto: How will they respond to an issues in the future? Will they stand behind a part and said service level then?

On a positive note: Bilstein was great!!. In short, I stopped by, met with the manager of quality, was brought into the shop, he checked my two shocks (brought one for comparison) and confirmed that something was definitely not right with one, and offered to swap them right there. Since he didn't have any in stock, he offered to take them apart and repair if necessary and UPS them back to me free-of-charge. Oh, he also would follow up with me to make sure everything was ok; something I would bet he will do too...

Now that is a vendor (who didn't have to do anything imo), who took the opportunity to gain a happy end-user! And he did, while BavAuto lost one forever!
Will a Mod please move this to the reviews section, so when a fanatic is searching for vendor reviews, this information can be provided?

SonicMS
E46 Info Sticky

hella.srs.bsns
wesCUHz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #38
Kanaljen

Good idea, sorry, I should have started a new thread perhaps..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesCUHz View Post
Will a Mod please move this to the reviews section, so when a fanatic is searching for vendor reviews, this information can be provided?