E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
rfiwcl5686

My Ride: 2012 BMW 328i
Best iPod integration option for 05 325Ci (w/o nav)

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice on the best choice for integrating my iPod into the stereo of my 2005 325Ci (with no navigation). I have multiple playlists set up on my iPod, some in folders; most of the time, I choose one of them and then shuffle through it. Also, sometimes I choose a particular artist and album, and listen to the entire album straight through. Less frequently, I choose a particular genre, and shuffle through the songs in that genre. Ideally, I would like an iPod integration that would support all of these options.

At first, I was just going to go with BMW's own iPod integration kit, but when I spoke to the parts department at my dealership, they weren't sure if it was going to have all the features I was looking for. They said I would need to set up custom playlists (not a huge deal), and that I would be limited to 5 playlists (a bigger deal); they also weren't sure if I could shuffle through the playlists, or if I'd have to play the songs in the order they appear on the playlist. It also didn't sound like I'd have the ability to look through my music by album, artist or genre. He directed me to www.ipodyourbmw.com, but it doesn't have a lot of specifics, and I don't want to spend $500 - $600 just to find out that it doesn't do what I want.

Will the DICE Silverline kit offered by BSW satisfy all of my requirements? If not, is there a product out there that will? I've also read a little about the Neo Pro Link and the ice>Link Plus; are those comparable products?

Lastly, whatever option I choose, I'd like to have the iPod in the passenger area with me (e.g. in the glove box), rather in the trunk. I'm not an experienced car person, however -- how difficult is the installation, to run the cable from the CD changer in the trunk, to the glove box? If I'm uncomfortable doing the installation myself, is this something a BMW dealer will be willing to do for me?

Thanks,
Andy Burdick
rfiwcl5686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
habbyguy

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
The Dice Silverline is (IMO, of course) the way to go. You'll read lots of opinions about it - it's NOT perfect. Mine "glitches" regularly and the text stops scrolling... but this really doesn't bother me all that much, and the end result is a lot better than anything else I looked at. OTOH, if you're the type that a little glitch like that will run you crazy, you should opt for something else (though likely it won't give you the functionality you're looking for).

But above all, do a search and read all the (many pages of...) input about the Ipod integration options. I did, and made an informed decision.

Or, you can just take my word for it...
Old 05-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
turbokid

My Ride: 2005 325i
dice silverline... you can control your ipod/iphone from the device it self giving you all of the devices options... It allows you to use the controls in your car too, but you cant do both at the same time... its one or the other... I know there is a playlist/ artist/ album selection when using cars controls and a shuffle option as well.
turbokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
DICE is the way to go - this is the kit you need:

DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for 3 Series/M3 99-06 (Trunk Interface)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1621

The DICE iPod Kit will integrate perfectly with your BMW and offer steering wheel control as well as ID3 text and charging of your iPod. Full CD Quality can be expected after installation. There's even an integrated AUX port for other devices.

New features of DICE SILVERLINE iPod Integration kit include:

- Direct integrated connection, without the need for FM transmitters or cassette adapters
- Full Text Display on your factory radio or Navigation screen
- Full control of your iPod via the radio buttons while in play
- Browse by Individual Song
- Browse by Individual Playlist
- Browse by Individual Albums
- Source Selector w/ Integrated AUX input
- Album Selection
- Full charging mode for iPods through included dock connector

The kit will come with everything needed w/ the docking cable. The iPod can be safely stored away in the glove compartment for 100% stealth installation and accessed completely from the steering wheel controls. The DICE comes with a 15-foot cable length to reach anywhere in the vehicle you like. We have tutorials at the following link:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/su...nter/index.php

Let me know if you have any further questions.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote