E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 02:57 PM   #1
K2Elmore

My Ride: 330CI
Pulled the trigger and went Dinan for my 330ci! WOW

Had the stage 2 software with their new intake box replacement done along with their auto tranny software. Dind,t get to play around yesterday b/c of the monsoon we were having in Kentucky, but i did go out and play on my way to work this morning. For those wondering about a software and intake, do it. I am sure the results would be similar with ANY software and a good intake, but since i'm an auto i wanted the tranny software too which left me with Dinan or ESS. ESS is way too expensive and you have to send them your comp.

Anyway back to the results. You can definitely feel an increase in throttle response right off the line. The car just screams to redline. On the highway simply step on it and blam your off. Car goes well over 100mph easy in third gear in no time flat. Always fast, but now it's faster.
The new tranny software makes the car shift faster, but most notably harder. It still shifts like normal when you are just put-sing around town, however when you step on it the up shift is like wham. My only complaint is that Dinan has reprogramed the tranny software so that in manual mode when redline is reached the tranny shifts itself. Asked about this b/c I thought there was a problem and I got two answers. First is that there were always some cars whose original software code was unable to accept no rev-limit in manual mode. Something BMW did. The second response was that they Dinan reprogramed the software b/c customers were damaging their trannys and motors by over revving gears. Either way its not that big of a deal. I never seem to shift fast enough anyway to beat the limiter.
The new cold air box looks nice under the hood. Almost factory in looks, but with a big shiny D on top. A bit louder, but hardly. Kinda wished for more roar, oh-well.

Almost forgot to mention that I got one H*LL of a deal. Never take the dealer price as written in stone. If anybody is waiting around for another Dinan sale dont wait any longer. Go to you local Dinan dealer and talk with them. I got stage 2, tranny software, and air-intake for $720 should have been over $1000!!

Here is Reg. cost....................What I paid
Stage2...399 245
Tranny....299 225
Air Box...299 250

Labor was at the normal rate for the time Dinan recommends..3.5 hours.
Tech said that he could cut deals with b/c of the volume of sales he does. Also, I only got the discount since I did everything at once. Kinda a packaged deal. Originally was only gonna to do stage 1 and tranny, but for the same price in parts almost and some extra labor i got it all. I think it was a good deal and well worth it.

Can not wait for my new DISA valve to come in so I can get even more engine response. Took me almost a year to figure out what was causing my erratic performance. Sometimes I had a ton of torque, but no power up top. Other times completely opposite. always came with a rattling noise. Figures it out and cant wait.

Happy motoring and good luck.
K2Elmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
LordGop

My Ride: 05 325ci/e30 325is
Very nice...I love the term pulled the trigger. Nice prices too.
LordGop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
K2Elmore

Thanks. I guess the mod bug bit hard and fast. Started a month ago with crossed drilled rotors and ceramic pads. Now looking into pricing suspension.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
Clean_3

My Ride: E46
Nice .....The Mod Bug.... it can get u in trouble becareful!

Try snooping through her things and finding out where she stashed your ballz...
Clean_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
ROOFLESS

My Ride: has a 3.2L bag now
I found out that if you stay away formt his site for a while...the MOD BUG gets a bit easier on you.....
Old 04-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
|sland|2oots

My Ride: ///M3
that's bad@ss bro!! wondering if it would make as significant a difference on a zhp as it did on your car? tempted now. damn that modbug.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:18 PM   #7
madchef

My Ride: '04 ZHP Sedan MB/NB
Wow, awesome deal!
madchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #8
changedthegame

My Ride: AlpineWhite 01 330ci
Congrats on the mods. Glad it worked out well for you. I also have a Step 330ci so I may look into something similar.

If I'm not mistaken with the 3 stages of Dinan software, isnt each stage for a particular setup (mod). So if you got an exhaust, wouldnt you need the next stage software, which would kinda seem like it was a waste for this one?
changedthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #9
austindangers

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
The mod bug is dangerous, and so is this site! A month ago I was completely happy with my car. Last weekend I installe a new Borla Ca-back system. Today I dropped my car off at the shop to have a Dinan CAI with Stage II installed, along with a 3.46 diff. I can definately say that the severity of my mod-itis is directly proportional to the amount of time I spend on this site.
austindangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #10
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
i really need engine n tranny software

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #11
AzCamel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Soon To be Boosted
wow, nice prices..I already ask and they wont cut me a deal unless dinan give the special

02 M3 SMG Vert

Dinan 3.91 / Dinan SMG Software / Dinan ECU Stage 1 / Beyern Mesh 19's / BSW Sound / EAS LED Angel Eyes / ETC..

94 Supra FOR SALE, OR TRADE FOR NSX
Precision SP63 / Tial / Apex-i / TRD / Seibon / Do-Luck / CCW / Recaro / Eibach / Top-Secret / Greddy / ETC...

AzCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #12
RangerX

My Ride: '03 330i / '04 Z4
Send a message via AIM to RangerX Send a message via MSN to RangerX
Quote:
Originally Posted by austindangers View Post
The mod bug is dangerous, and so is this site! A month ago I was completely happy with my car. Last weekend I installe a new Borla Ca-back system. Today I dropped my car off at the shop to have a Dinan CAI with Stage II installed, along with a 3.46 diff. I can definately say that the severity of my mod-itis is directly proportional to the amount of time I spend on this site.
LOL, i know the feeling. Thought my car was bad@ss last year, then i found this site. Waiting for my next paycheck and dumping 2g's on my car.

gg's e46fanatics... haha
RangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:54 PM   #13
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
congratz on your mods!

how much was the 3.5 hours = ?

"I catch you in my dreams, just me and you. But you seem confused, I'm not trying to break the rules.
So why do you feel the way that you do? So why do you feel the way that you do?"

2014 LA Autoshow FB Gallery
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #14
scriztin

My Ride: '02 330ci
had the same package installed on mine recently! i loved the way my car pulled already. but now the increase to a supposed 238hp seems like much more! must have something to do with how they changed the DBW software. Air coming in the airbox from 3 places... modest 'whoosh' noise at WOT... love it...
After driving with the dinan exhaust for about 1500 miles, it has become almost louder than i want it to be. i knew exhausts had to break in but this is crazy. when i blip the throttle to downshift it sounds like the hell's angels are tailing me. maybe ill check for a loose hanger tomorrow.
scriztin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:01 PM   #15
kaluahjeff

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Seems like a lot of money for just a measly 10-15hp increase lol.

Should save that money towards a s/c.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #16
Ervin87

My Ride: E92 M3 | S4 | E30
Send a message via AIM to Ervin87
I need stage 2 software.

Will call stealership in the morning to see the deal they give me.

Ervin (Bay Area Detailer)
Ervin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:45 PM   #17
RangerX

My Ride: '03 330i / '04 Z4
Send a message via AIM to RangerX Send a message via MSN to RangerX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaluahjeff View Post
Seems like a lot of money for just a measly 10-15hp increase lol.

Should save that money towards a s/c.
neg. save towards future m3.
RangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:59 PM   #18
semich4rmedlyfe

My Ride: 02.330Ci.ACS.DINAN
I bought a 2002 330Ci, Dinan Stage 2, but the previous owner had taken the CAI out because of the rainy season. I just put it back in- and let me tell you... IT FELT SOOOOO GOOOOD.
semich4rmedlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:09 PM   #19
K2Elmore

yeah I can attest to that. i was fine until I found this site. ever since I have wanted more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO BAG BIMMER View Post
I found out that if you stay away formt his site for a while...the MOD BUG gets a bit easier on you.....
Old 04-12-2007, 11:16 PM   #20
K2Elmore

I asked my dealer about the stage 3 and he told me flat out that it wasn't worth the cash. The software only works on the intake side. Meaning it re-calibrates the air/fuel ratio for more air coming into the motor. Stage 3 only gives like 2 more hp. NOt worth the $$. An exhaust does not affect air/fuel ratio, but does relive pressure on the head to expel gasses. This will give you a more efficient motor. Our M54's already have a pretty good exhaust from factory. Plus if you go too big you lose torque. The only time a big exhaust is wanted is when you run a turbo. A new exhaust may give you a few more ponies, but most likely much more sound.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by changedthegame View Post
Congrats on the mods. Glad it worked out well for you. I also have a Step 330ci so I may look into something similar.

If I'm not mistaken with the 3 stages of Dinan software, isnt each stage for a particular setup (mod). So if you got an exhaust, wouldnt you need the next stage software, which would kinda seem like it was a waste for this one?