E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
colinluck

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Replacing Rear Mids

i purchased a 10'' JL W7 a while ago with a 1000w amp. my stock rear mids are now blown out and im in the market for those to be replaced. im not sure where to start. money isn't an issue here. im going to replace all speakers but im going to start with the blown ones first. i want the best quality without having to replace them any time soon. my questions are..

1. what are the biggest and best rear mids that i can install?
2. will i need another amp if im installing new speakers?
3. is there a DIY for installing new speakers and an amp?

im sorry but ive tried reading up as much as i can. this is a bit confusing.

United States Marine Corps 0311
colinluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
meccanoble

My Ride: 03 Steel Gray M3
Send a message via AIM to meccanoble Send a message via Yahoo to meccanoble
I'm also curious to know what is the biggest people have fit back there.

If you are going for a speaker upgrade outside of OEM, definitely recommend an aftermarket amp to match with it. Anything stock will not power it enough, though it should still sound better than stock.

I would look for a multi channel amp(s) to power more than just the rear since you plan to replace all sooner or later.

Volks TE37| Eisenmann Race 83mm + section II| RE Rasp Pipe| Vogtland Springs| Kenwood KDC X994| Poly RTABS| many more...

meccanoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
You can fit up to 6.5's in there (although 5.25's are easier to install, since you can get away with not taking the rear deck out). As far as brand/model - it is up to you to determine what fits your budget and more importantly, what sounds good to you. For power, you do need to get an aftermarket amplifier if you want real improvement, but if you are going that route, you would have much better results by starting with the front speakers instead.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
cunninglinguist

My Ride: 2003 LSB M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1242 View Post
You can fit up to 6.5's in there (although 5.25's are easier to install, since you can get away with not taking the rear deck out). As far as brand/model - it is up to you to determine what fits your budget and more importantly, what sounds good to you. For power, you do need to get an aftermarket amplifier if you want real improvement, but if you are going that route, you would have much better results by starting with the front speakers instead.
You seem to know quite alot about this and I see your posts all over the place. I'm about 45 minutes away from you max. I'm looking to put JL C5-650 6.5" in my fronts. Do you think this is doable? I have the amp, I know a great deal about car audio, but I don't want to modify the door too much. I wouldn't mind seeing your setup if youre around the way.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #5
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
6.5's will fit on the door as long as they are less than 3" deep. I would strongly suggest cutting the speakers in the door to get good midbass. By mounting them to the door panel, you are greatly diminishing the speaker's capabilities. This is how I install speakers: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=317339

You are welcome to come over and take a look at my car. I do installs every saturday, so you are welcome to come and hang out, shoot me a PM. My speakers are not in the doors though: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=273622
Old 05-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
cunninglinguist

My Ride: 2003 LSB M3
Thanks so much for the input. Will do.