E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 03:48 AM   #101
mkodama

Customized and fitted exhaust manifold flanges are almost complete. I just want to weld them together and then I can attach them to the rest of the exhaust.

If I ever do this flange stuff again(which I might do later on), I would simply cut a completely custom one-piece flange from some 3/8" stainless instead. The Vibrant Performance exhaust flanges have shown to be of low quality. They appear to be of stamped construction which isn't super pretty or accurate, and while I was milling the ends of the flanges, I found a small pocket inside the metal. No big problem with that in my case since an exhaust flange isn't really a structural item and is overbuilt, but still, unacceptable in my opinion.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #102
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Nice progress!
Old 10-01-2009, 04:07 AM   #103
mkodama

Meh, I'm not liking the vibrant flanges for this setup as they just don't fit right. After a bunch of thought, I'm just going to machine a one piece flange to replace the dual setup stock and what I was trying with the Vibrant flanges. Going this route I'll be able to get a little more clearance, better seal, closer tolerances and a cleaner appearance.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #104
apollotrance1

My Ride: '02 330i, '05 GSXR1k
everything looks good so far, except for those flanges.... they look like they might interfere with each other..... but your 1 piece design might do the trick
apollotrance1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:23 AM   #105
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollotrance1 View Post
everything looks good so far, except for those flanges.... they look like they might interfere with each other..... but your 1 piece design might do the trick
They are tack welded together in the picture above, so yes, they interfere with each other a little bit.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #106
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
updates?

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #107
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ3 View Post
updates?
Well, I'm mainly being delayed by my car and exhaust being a couple miles apart. I'm having the hardest time getting the bends around the gas tank correct. It's because the pipes curve off from the centerline of the car, under the driveshaft, to the left of the car and down, to clear the rear subframe. So curving down and to the right at the same time. If I don't get it right then the resonator either hangs to low or presses against the gas tank.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #108
Flavourless

My Ride: 02 e46 m3
horizontal bandsaws are this ish!! no offense but sure an 8,000 dollar watercooled tig machine is cool an all but there is no reason for you to have one at this point. You can get the same results out of a machine that cost an 1/8th of the price. Exhaust looks good and hopefully you can get your minor issues worked out and get it finished up. Only thing I observed was some of the welds looked a little cold or to much filler rod was used. Just curious on some other things too. What size filler rod are you using? What size cup have you been using? also are you using What filler rod are you using? are you using a clear pyrex lens or just standard cup?
Old 11-09-2009, 12:09 AM   #109
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavourless View Post
horizontal bandsaws are this ish!! no offense but sure an 8,000 dollar watercooled tig machine is cool an all but there is no reason for you to have one at this point. You can get the same results out of a machine that cost an 1/8th of the price. Exhaust looks good and hopefully you can get your minor issues worked out and get it finished up. Only thing I observed was some of the welds looked a little cold or to much filler rod was used. Just curious on some other things too. What size filler rod are you using? What size cup have you been using? also are you using What filler rod are you using? are you using a clear pyrex lens or just standard cup?
Horizontal bandsaws are nice, though I kinda wish the school had a vertical one as well. Instead they have two horizontal ones for some reason.

Yeah, I totally do not need a nice new Miller Dynasty 700 to do this work, but it's definitely nice to have. For my first and second semester, I used the the smaller cheaper Miller Dynasty 200 machines, then as I started getting assignments requiring me to change AC wave type, using a pulser, and independently changing the electrode negative and electrode positive current, I had to move to the nicer machines. Our welding department is definitely very well equipped.

And yes, some of those first few welds definitely have their issues. Normally I am welding on thinner stuff like 0.040" sheet, so I was quite afraid of putting in too much heat and warping things. As I did more welds, I started to get a hang of the material thickness a lot better. I'm not particularly impressed with this first section and I may just end up redoing it in the future with my new skill as well as back purging the the welds.

As for all the welding specific questions,
cup/nozzle: #6, normal pink alumina
filler rod: 0.055" thickness I think and I forget what the type of filler it is...

It's nice to hear some questions and input about my welding though, thanks.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:16 AM   #110
mkodama

Update

New exhaust flanges are in the process of being made. I have a 24"x2.5"x0.375 304L stainless bar. I'm going to make a single flange to replace the two stock flanges, and in doing that, I will make sure the surfaces are on the same plane for a good seal as well as it helps me with fitment and planning. I'm going to make 3 of them while I'm at it so that I will have an extra if I mess up and/or redo the front section again.

I also decided to turn the bend around the gas tank from one 3 dimensional bend to two 2 dimensional bends. Getting these angles right is so damn hard and so time consuming when I have to drive back and forth between school and my car.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #111
Flavourless

Sounds like your schools department is well equipped and thats awesome. Although it does suck when you go out into the real world and its not all there. Been there and I am still there. When I was at school we had anything and everything you could ever imagine for fabrication and what not. I must say the welding tables that you guys have where you can put clamps in about any location you could possible imagine are baller!! I would love to have one of those. what cfm are you running the gas at? post up some of your new welds would love to see how things are progressing
Old 11-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #112
mkodama

Quote:
Sounds like your schools department is well equipped and thats awesome. Although it does suck when you go out into the real world and its not all there. Been there and I am still there. When I was at school we had anything and everything you could ever imagine for fabrication and what not. I must say the welding tables that you guys have where you can put clamps in about any location you could possible imagine are baller!! I would love to have one of those. what cfm are you running the gas at? post up some of your new welds would love to see how things are progressing
Yeah, the Bluco fixture table is awesome.

I think I was running 20 cfh argon during those welds like what I do for most welding.

Maybe I'll take my camera in tomorrow and take some shots of some of the other things I've been welding.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:31 AM   #113
Flavourless

you def should...20 cfm seems a lil high but whatever works for you works
Old 11-09-2009, 03:50 AM   #114
mkodama

Quote:
you def should...20 cfm seems a lil high but whatever works for you works
Well, yeah, 20 cubic feet per minutes would definitely be high, that's why I run 20 cubic feat per hour.

When I did the welds on the exhaust, I had the flow meter set at 20 cfh, but that was just because my welding teacher just said to use that in the beginning. As of late, I've been experimenting a lot more with different techniques and settings, one of which has been flow rate, which I've tried at 15 cfh in various situations and haven't noticed any problems.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:56 AM   #115
mkodama

Here's some pics of my other welding I've done this semester, as promised:

lap weld on ridiculously thin stainless steel; 0.031 or 1/32 of an inch thickness

Autogenous (no filler rod added) edge weld on 6061 aluminum; ~0.08 inch thickness

Fillet weld on 0.375 or 3/8 inch mild steel, some of these brackets came out perfect with a perfect shiny, straw colored bead, but they were all in use and when these shackles are in use, the welds are covered up.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #116
tylerc

My Ride: 330ci
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...exh/index.html

interesting article to take a look at, would be interested how/if you have used any of these principles on both the Y at the beginning of the exhaust and collector length theory?
tylerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #117
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerc View Post
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...exh/index.html

interesting article to take a look at, would be interested how/if you have used any of these principles on both the Y at the beginning of the exhaust and collector length theory?
Interesting article. The author seemed less scientific as in other articles that I have read, but definitely sounded like they had a lot of hands on experience and experimentation.

My conclusion is that it is a lot of good information, but likely little of it applies to me as I am keeping the stock exhaust manifold and catalytic converter assembly, which I would assume totally butchers exhaust pulses and any chance of exhaust scavenging in favor of an easy to manufacture design and cold start emissions.

Other things I considered of note, was that the glasspack only setup of my exhaust shouldn't have any negative effects on header tuning should I ever do anything in the future, and I'm still not quite sure on the effect my Y-pipe will do.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #118
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
No real updates, no care. FINISH this!
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #119
tylerc

My Ride: 330ci
All this work and no ebay headers at least?
tylerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #120
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
He's in California. Emissions.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote