E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
Jonesy16

My Ride: '04 E46 325i
Construct your own Bluetooth ULF Pairing Button

My excitement regarding getting bluetooth working in my '04 325i was crushed recently when I found out that BMW no longer sells the ULF pairing button. Apparently it's now only available in the ULF install kit (~$160) and there's only one of those left in the country. I tried contacting bimmernav.com to see if they'd sell me one and they'll only sell it in their $675 kit (I don't think so).

Now this button can't be too complex can it? It must just short two wires together to initiate the pairing sequence, right? Can anyone confirm this (or sell me a pairing button ;-)). I guess the other option is to install the eject box, yeah?

Thanks for any help.

--
Eric
Jonesy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy16 View Post
My excitement regarding getting bluetooth working in my '04 325i was crushed recently when I found out that BMW no longer sells the ULF pairing button. Apparently it's now only available in the ULF install kit (~$160) and there's only one of those left in the country. I tried contacting bimmernav.com to see if they'd sell me one and they'll only sell it in their $675 kit (I don't think so).

Now this button can't be too complex can it? It must just short two wires together to initiate the pairing sequence, right? Can anyone confirm this (or sell me a pairing button ;-)). I guess the other option is to install the eject box, yeah?

Thanks for any help.

--
Eric
You should get the eject box...
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
dillard

My Ride: 2004 M3 Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy16 View Post

Thanks for any help.

--
Eric
I'm in the same boat. My wife's X5 has a pairing button that I hope will work once I get my ULF in. Otherwise, I was thinking the exact same thing in that the pairing button is proabably a microswitch that closes a circuit.

Please someone help us out!
Old 03-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
dillard

Got some great advice and guidance from Derek and was able to pair my phone WITHOUT a pairing button. It's all pretty simple:

Remove the housing of the 18 pin connector that the pairing button is supposed to plug into. There is an indention that you push down with a thin screwdriver and the housing pops off.

Then locate pins 1 and 17. Again using a thin screwdriver, push down on the exposed metal to push the pins out of the housing. You do not need to puch the pin out through the holes but you could. With very little force with the screw driver and pulling slightly on the wire, the pin will come out of the housing.

Then you have your pairing button. The procedure is simple... hold the two pins together and count to 3 and then turn your ignition to the 1 position and count to three then release the pins. You should see BT pairing on your radio.

After successful pairing, I easily slid the pins back into the housing and stuffed it away.

No pairing button required.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
madchef

My Ride: '04 ZHP Sedan MB/NB
Lots of button options at radio shack. Not gonna look great.

You could use dillard's information and wire up a button and just hide it in the armrest or something.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
RichardP

My Ride: M5
You can initiate BT Pairing with an iBus command.

Using a Resler interface and iBus Analyser software send the command

3F 04 C8 1C 84 6B

the phone will enter pairing mode.
RichardP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #7
Twiford

My Ride: Is Expensive
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillard View Post
Got some great advice and guidance from Derek and was able to pair my phone WITHOUT a pairing button. It's all pretty simple:

Remove the housing of the 18 pin connector that the pairing button is supposed to plug into. There is an indention that you push down with a thin screwdriver and the housing pops off.

Then locate pins 1 and 17. Again using a thin screwdriver, push down on the exposed metal to push the pins out of the housing. You do not need to puch the pin out through the holes but you could. With very little force with the screw driver and pulling slightly on the wire, the pin will come out of the housing.

Then you have your pairing button. The procedure is simple... hold the two pins together and count to 3 and then turn your ignition to the 1 position and count to three then release the pins. You should see BT pairing on your radio.

After successful pairing, I easily slid the pins back into the housing and stuffed it away.

No pairing button required.
Where is the plug for the pairing button located?
Twiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #8
dillard

You will need to remove all the screws holding down your center to let you move it around. Then you can wiggle a felt cover out of it's storage place.
Basically it lays flat under the cupholder. Here are some photos.

http://www.hiunlimited.com/bluetooth...btinstall3.htm
Old 05-15-2008, 04:41 AM   #9
Emmet

My Ride: '03 BMW 330 CiM
I am removing my eject box (replacing it with a euro compartment)...

The four cables for the button/charger (eject box + snap-in adapter)... The Green and White are the pairing ones (tried it in my car). The Red and Brown ones, are they simply 12V+ and ground for the charger?

If so, can I use them and hide a cigarette lighter charger beneath the console?
Or are the currents to high for the relatively weak Red and Brown cables?

Last edited by Emmet; 05-15-2008 at 04:43 AM.
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #10
Emmet

My Ride: '03 BMW 330 CiM
Here's my eject-box connector. Green is pairing, is it supposed to have 12V+ for the system to enter pairing mode? Should be connected to.... red (via a button)?

Brown is negative(?)
Red is constant 12V+?
White is..? Cradle charging activation-someting?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00368xx.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	271373  
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:52 PM   #11
sepehrz

My Ride: 330 Cic
Thank you guys! I built my own pairing button for $1.99 with a switch from Radio Shack. I connected it to pins 1 & 17 and pulled the switch to the back and hid it under the ashtray so I can easily access it (without a screwdriver).

Does anyone know which pin numbers are 12V and Gnd so I can connect a charger?

Last edited by sepehrz; 05-27-2008 at 01:56 PM.
sepehrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #12
Bjorn8781

My Ride: BMW 320Cd 2005
Where is the 18-pin connector? I have an E46 coupe, year 2005. Where is it please? Thanks
Bjorn8781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #13
dillard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn8781 View Post
Where is the 18-pin connector? I have an E46 coupe, year 2005. Where is it please? Thanks

Connector is bundled and stuffed under the armrest. You may be able to access it without removing the armrest. Remove the cupholder and you should see it wrapped in black.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
Bjorn8781

My Ride: BMW 320Cd 2005
Can I not have it? coz I cant see it.... or should I remove the armrest beacause it is there for sure?
Bjorn8781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #15
dillard

It's there. You can loosen the armrest screws and not remove the armrest. That gives you a little more wiggle room.