E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
wadejg

My Ride: 06 M3 Vert
Terrible customer service with EAS-I'll shop elsewhere next time

After having a few minutes to chill after getting off the phone with EAS, I thought I'd share my poor experience.

I just paid $58.71 and a bunch of time for the privilege of installing an incomplete/broken dice HD radio from EAS.

I ordered my dice HD radio 2 weeks ago. It took me 3-4 hours to install it in my car last Friday. I got all the way through routing the wire from the trunk to the glovebox, putting the unit behind the glove box and running the antenna up the A pillar. I went to stick the antenna black box to the window. I peel, back the adhesive cover and find 3/4 of the adhesive is missing from the center of the antenna. I hadn't thought about it but the paper cover had been sorta crooked/and partly peeled back. Crap. I decide I'll stick it on and cross my fingers that when it gets hot it doesn't drop off. Then I get to the part where I run the copper strip part of the antenna down the window. But there isn't a copper strip. It just wasn't in the box. I didn't drop it or loose it, it just wasn't there. Crap Crap. Alright I figure, I'll call Monday and get sent a new one. WRONG. Enter EAS customer service.

Monday I call, and since it is a "return" I'm told to email and it can't be done on the phone(plus I had to return the Silverline I ordered and decided not to use since I went with the HD unit). I send an email. Forward to Thursday and no response yet.

I call again. They say to email again. I say I did that 4 days ago. They give me a return auth for the silverline BUT can't help me with the HD radio, dice isn't making them now and they don't have parts. Crap Crap Crap, I only bought it 2 weeks ago. I'm given the number to Dice. Dice tells me they aren't making them and they don't have any parts, EAS must be selling the last of the stock, call them back. I call EAS again.

Ahhhh, the classic we didn't make, we didn't sell it loop, where neither the vendor or manufacturer fixes the problem.

I ask to speak to a manager. Enter Tom from the forum. Hey Tom.

Here are the options I'm presented with- remove the unit and send it back for a rufund or pay full price for the "stealth" antenna kit from EAS. I say, that doesn't sound reasonable, I received a product that was missing an integral part and seemed likely to have been opened before (hence the missing adhesive on the antenna). I said that if the stealth antenna would fix the problem that I should be sent that as a replacement for free. Tom's response-we aren't sending anything for free.

The additional undertone was this was my problem, not theirs. I was told that the original antenna wasn't any good and "we don't even send it sometimes." What? You don't even send it. That just doesn't make any sense.

No "sorry." No "we will make this right." No offer to pay postage. No offer to send the replacement antenna for free or even at cost. Just "NO."

So my options are spend more money or spend several hours removing the unit and installing something else.

What is so irritating about such situations is the complete discounting of a customers time and effort. "Just send it back" means remove the carpeting in the trunk, take out the rear seat, take off the door trim, remove the glove box, and the A pillar. Then reinstall everything. Then drive to the post office pay for shipping, and then install something else. Tom, I'll tell you what, why don't you pay for somebody to come to my house and send the unit back to you?

Oh well, I bought the stealth antenna for $58.71 shipped. It just isn't worth the PITA to redo everything. Heck I might have even had to buy it anyways if the reception with the stock antenna wasn't good enough, but I'll never know.

And the Dice antenna ($39)is still listed at the EAS website:
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=926
The stealth replacement antenna is only $10 more, so I was asking for something $10 more expensive.

Plus Dice should rethink making a product that they aren't going to stock any warranty replacement pieces. I mean really. I only bought it 2 weeks ago and already it can't be fixed if something is wrong.

Oh, and I used the youtube video from BSW to do the install. It was well done and thorough. I will certainly be giving BSW my business next time.

FWIW,
Regards,
Justin Wade
wadejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
justin

don't bash a sponsor on here, if it weren't for all the sponsors on here we wouldn't have this website
have a little respect, eas is a very well liked and extremely helpful to us members, sorry you didn't have the same experience but don't try to ruin them

you just ruined yourself with this post
Old 05-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
dummptyhummpty

My Ride: 2003.5 BMW M3 6spd
Send a message via AIM to dummptyhummpty
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
justin

don't bash a sponsor on here, if it weren't for all the sponsors on here we wouldn't have this website
have a little respect, eas is a very well liked and extremely helpful to us members, sorry you didn't have the same experience but don't try to ruin them

you just ruined yourself with this post
That's not cool. He has the right to share his experience. It's not like he just said screw EAS, he at least gave a reason for his feelings. I agree that it seems that he could have been taken care of better, but I don't know all of the facts. Hopefully, this can be worked out.
e2 aurora LED Angel Eyes
Vorsteiner CSL Style Trunk Lid
2004.5 Audi A4 3.0q (Sold: 8/15/09)
dummptyhummpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Same post on Bimmerforums, Bimmerfest and e46Fanatics - your reply can be found here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1#post16276324
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummptyhummpty View Post
That's not cool. He has the right to share his experience. It's not like he just said screw EAS, he at least gave a reason for his feelings. I agree that it seems that he could have been taken care of better, but I don't know all of the facts. Hopefully, this can be worked out.
sharing his experience?
don't give me that...... you don't go running to the forums when something goes wrong to try and ruin their reputation. EAS is a very well liked sponsor on here and they don't deserve having their name being spread negatively with this thread.

this was done out of SPITE not matter how "polite" or "honest" it sounded.

when you have a bad experience, you know what the "grown up" thing to do is? just don't order from them anymore, end of story
Old 05-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
dummptyhummpty

My Ride: 2003.5 BMW M3 6spd
Send a message via AIM to dummptyhummpty
Quote:
sharing his experience?
don't give me that...... you don't go running to the forums when something goes wrong to try and ruin their reputation. EAS is a very well liked sponsor on here and they don't deserve having their name being spread negatively with this thread.

this was done out of SPITE not matter how "polite" or "honest" it sounded.

when you have a bad experience, you know what the "grown up" thing to do is? just don't order from them anymore, end of story
I guess I just interpreted his tone/post differently. Either way, it looks like Tom offered 50% off of the new antenna he ordered.
e2 aurora LED Angel Eyes
Vorsteiner CSL Style Trunk Lid
2004.5 Audi A4 3.0q (Sold: 8/15/09)
dummptyhummpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummptyhummpty View Post
I guess I just interpreted his tone/post differently. Either way, it looks like Tom offered 50% off of the new antenna he ordered.
agreed... its hard to feel someones tone, but tom is a good guy so it is what it is
Old 05-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
wadejg

Quote:
agreed... its hard to feel someones tone, but tom is a good guy so it is what it is
My tone was/is that I recieved poor service. Your experience has been positive. Believe me, on the phone, after 4 different phone calls, and one email sent 4 days ago, I was not offered anything. Nada. No move was made to remedy the situation until I posted here and the other BMW forums I frequent. I believe it is a revelation about a company when they treat customers one way in public and another in private.

I purchased the HD from EAS because of positive information on forums. But if only positive views are shared it isn't much of a forum. My view was quite negative or I wouldn't have taken the time to post.

By the way here was the email I sent four days ago with no response:

"I need three things.

First, I purchased a silverline dice from you guys because I was told that the HD dice wouldn't work with the 3G iphone. I then found out the HD would work with the 3G, it just needed the new cable. So, I went ahead and ordered the HD, deciding to keep the silverline until I was sure that the HD would work. I installed the HD and it works fine with the 3G using the new USB cable. I need to return the silverline. It is still in the box new and uninstalled. The silverline and the HD are on seperate orders.

Second, My HD installed fine but there were a couple of problems with the antenna. The box did not contain the thin copper wire that is the antenna extender. I need this sent to me.

Last, the sticky backing on the antenna wasn't evenly distributed and was missing a large bit of adhesive in the center. Also, the adhesive cover paper was partly peeled back already. Although the antenna installed and stayed I'm worried with some sun it might fall off. I really don't want to unistall the antenna unless it is a problem. Either can you note it and if it is a problem I can get sent a new antenna or can you send me a new antenna so that if it is a problem I can just install the new one. I'd prefer to be sent a new one but like I said I don't want to redo the install unless I have to. It kinda seemed like I might have been sent a returned box given all of these issues but I didn't pay close attention opening it to say for sure.

Thanks,
Justin Wade"

Regards,
Justin Wade
Old 05-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
My email box is clear, there is no email a similiar issue or from a Justin wade. Unless it was caught in spam - we did not receive it.

However, in following up with DICE, it seems that you were specifically looking for the SAM, not the antenna element - which they do not offer. They do have the HD DICE element strips and was willing to send a replacement.

Here's the reply from BFC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
Justin,

As explained on the phone - DICE has discontinued the HD Radio kits, I cannot obtain an antenna from them nor do I have one in stock. You were offered a full refund including shipping charges and as I was about to get your info to send a return label - I was greeted with a "expect me to dispute the credit card charges" comment and you hung up.

I can't make a DICE antenna appear out of thin air, but give me a call or email if you would like to work out the situation rationally for a full refund as offered earlier or simply getting one of the stealth modules instead.

Edit: I just saw the order come through - I'm going to take 50% off the antenna cost, hopefully this will ease the pain and you can get back on track.

Doube Edit: Just followed up with DICE, they do have the element strips in stock. However it seems you were specifically asking about the Stealth Antenna modules, which are manufactured by us - and are a seperately-offered item.

If you should want the antenna strip instead, let me know and I'll make the necessary arrangements, otherwise - we're still on track for shipping out the SAM today.
If you would like to follow up with the original tech @ DICE you were speaking with, please ask for Manny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejg View Post
My tone was/is that I recieved poor service. Your experience has been positive. Believe me, on the phone, after 4 different phone calls, and one email sent 4 days ago, I was not offered anything. Nada. No move was made to remedy the situation until I posted here and the other BMW forums I frequent. I believe it is a revelation about a company when they treat customers one way in public and another in private.
Not true - in 3 out of the 4 forums you posted in, your account was created just today.

Quote:
Much appreciated on the feedback, we've got a lot of time put into support on the DICE kits and want to make sure everyone's happy.

Last edited by tom @ eas; 05-07-2009 at 06:42 PM.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #10
325CI2004

My Ride: 09 335I
Sh!t happens.
Your attitude wont get you any further. For future reference, you should inventory the box when you get it. This would have saved you tons of hassle. More than one person handles the packaging, and no one is perfect.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
wadejg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
My email box is clear, there is no email a similiar issue or from a Justin wade. Unless it was caught in spam - we did not receive it.

However, in following up with DICE, it seems that you were specifically looking for the SAM, not the antenna element - which they do not offer. They do have the HD DICE element strips and was willing to send a replacement.

Not true - in 3 out of the 4 forums you posted in, your account was created just today
The email originally sent was to returns@europeanautosource. It was where I was told to send the email when I called Monday. I was told this would go straight to a manager at that address.

I was not calling DICE about the SAM. I already knew that EAS was the company that makes that antenna. I didn't want the SAM-at least not until I found out if the stock antenna would work. In fact, I would want the stock antenna no matter what since, as written on your web site "For added antenna strength, the existing HD DICE antenna can be retained with the Stealth Antenna kit for even stronger reception."

Dice, at no time offered to send me the stock antenna. They said they don't have parts since it isn't still being manufactured. Period. Then I was told to call you guys back. Had they offered to send me an antenna this silliness would have ended then and there.

And as for which forum I posted to...The one I read/post to the most often is M3 forum, however, if you look closer I joined 1 in 2007, 2 and 2008, and one today. 3 of the 4 today was my first POST. I tend to read the forums rather than post.

Regards,
Justin