E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
oliverreed

My Ride: 318i
Angry loose ,bump steer,wandering,constant correction, steering

after 3 racks,inner,outer ties,2 front tyres,3 alignments,balancing,cabs,i finally called it a day withh my 00 .A question ,ARE THESE CARS GOOD OR BAD TO DRIVE OVERALL,ive kept my 03 step car,but still same issues,i mostly use my astra for driving anywhere ,just keep bm to look at and wash and wax it,
oliverreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:03 AM   #2
EDawg

My Ride: :/
maybe the balljoints on your control arms are bad. that seems like the only thing you haven't changed. other than that, depending on mileage, your struts and strut bearings can be bad. or maybe you're just not accustomed to the fact that the e46 provides a lot of front end feedback, and you are mistaking that with sloppy steering.

Last edited by EDawg; 05-10-2009 at 06:06 AM.
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
grafiksguy

My Ride: 2010 328xi
Oliver, I can sympathize with your frustrations. I've had a twitch (for lack of a better word) that I've documented here and have been chasing for the better part of two years. Symptoms are a slight yank of the steering wheel when you hit a bump on one side or the other and the steering wheel will twitch/jerk to that side. It's not really a bump-steer because the car doesn't change direction, but I doubt this what BMW intended as "feedback". To recap I've changed: Struts, strut bearings, sway bar bushings, steering links, control arms and CA bushings, flexible steering coupling, 1 tierod, 1 tierod end, and probably something I've forgotten here, and had the car aligned (2X) and had two qualified indy's certify that everything seems in order. Car tracks straight, no noises, just this damn twitch,which by the way, it does with two completely different sets of tires/wheels so I know it's not that, oh, and seems to be a bit worse on the right side. In my case I've decided it's an idiosyncrasy of my particular car and I've come to an grudging acceptance of it. Whenever I read a thread like this however, the Mr. FixIt in me gets wondering again.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
oliverreed

My Ride: 318i
thanks for your input,but having the same probs with 2 cars (2000 and 2003) at the same time,makes you think about bmw
oliverreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
jai_c

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Anyone have a answer for this yet? It's driving me insane. I'm about to put my H&R cupkit in but I hear lowering the car may make it worse. I think mine is pretty bad already, I'm constantly wandering into other lanes. It's crazy because my steering wheel is straight but my wheels are all over the place.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Have you guys replaced your RTABs?
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
jai_c

I haven't.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
jai_c

Just changed my my rtabs and installed my cupkit. definite improvement!!!
Old 06-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
Richy_Boy

My Ride: Alpina B3S
I have this on mine and am about to put M3 RTABs on there to see if it helps. My other thought is shock absorbers once the usual culprits are ruled out. So far I have done the front wishbones & bushes and had it aligned - might go for tie rods next (both inner and outer sections).

I also contacted BMW about my flexi steering coupling, yet it seems as my car is RHD I have a very different part, twice as big, twice as strong and twice the price! The BMW parts guy said he's only ever sold two of them - both from accident damage.

..the hunt goes on!

Rich

Richy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #10
Ecoloqua

My Ride: 2004 M3
Not to revive a thread that may be long dead but I have the same type of "wandering" on bumpy roads since I bougt my M3. It is an 04' and I bought it with only 24K miles on the clock. I took it in to the dealer for an alignment and they said that my rear bj's were worn and they wanted over 1k to replace them. My head exploded in rage because I could not understand how a car with only 24k miles would already need sus. componenets replaced. Long story/short....I took it to one of the most respected susp. shops in town to have it looked at and they said it was fine. I suspect that it is just the way BMW M3s are made. Espcially after reading the great lengths that some of you go chasing down this perceived problem. I have owned just about every sports car imaginable...including 3 Ferraris, a couple of Vipers, Acura NSX, Porsche 930, several 911's.. etc. All were stock suspension and some had more mileage than my M3. None of them exhibited this sort of "bump steer" effect. I think it is just the design.

Last edited by Ecoloqua; 01-03-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Ecoloqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:46 AM   #11
323i matt

My Ride: 323i se 4 door
ive got a 323i se and it does the same thing

ive narrowed it down to the top mounts on the shocks being worn and the bearings so movement in the suspension making the car not as it should

maybe worth checking on yours ?
323i matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #12
CBell330

My Ride: '01 330ci ZSP
my 01 330ci has bump steer...its alot better if your going faster....idk why. ill see if my rear control arm bearings are the culprit. Mine is in the shop for basicaly new right rear ca's wishbone etc. ill tell ya on the 9th(HOPEFULLY)
CBell330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
yannis4ny

My Ride: 2004 325ci vert
i am having the same problem. car wandering around after it hits a bump. i know this is quite old thread, but i was wondering if anyone has figure this out? I was quoted 1100 for changing all shocks and struts but i don't feel that this is the problem. Also my right strut tower is deformed just a bit(mushroom). I have a feeling that it might be the strut mounts and this "mushrooming". thanks
yannis4ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
DHK

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
Bad RTABs, and FCABs can lead to wandering steering.

Also on rutty shitty roads, certain tires will tramline like crazy. My summer tires tramline a lot but my winters dont.
DHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
yannis4ny

Thanks for the reply, FCABs replaced, RTABs told are good! Asked to change the struts and shocks $1100. maybe they would do the RTABs for free!

Last edited by yannis4ny; 01-27-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Should replace your steering guibo. Common problem and cannot tell with just looking at the steering joint. Cost about $50-60, but well worth replacing.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #17
yannis4ny

guibo that was done 15k ago with oem. There is no clicking in my steering wheel.

The car has a sport package and doesn't bounce around when i press down on the front or rear. This is how i eliminate the shock strut problem. there is a little mushrooming on the right shock tower though?
what i have done:
FCABs
stabilizing links/sway bar endlinks
control arms are OEM good

I want to run a poll:
A)who thinks it's the RTABs?
B)the mushrooming effect?
C)the struts?
D) all of the above?

thanks

Last edited by yannis4ny; 01-27-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #18
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
check your ball joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannis4ny View Post
guibo that was done 15k ago with oem. There is no clicking in my steering wheel.

The car has a sport package and doesn't bounce around when i press down on the front or rear. This is how i eliminate the shock strut problem. there is a little mushrooming on the right shock tower though?
what i have done:
FCABs
stabilizing links/sway bar endlinks
control arms are OEM good

I want to run a poll:
A)who thinks it's the RTABs?
B)the mushrooming effect?
C)the struts?
D) all of the above?

thanks
Get under your car and check your ball joints. Also check your your strut mounts from above by removing the dust cap.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #19
Mobil

My Ride: 2001 330 Ci
I have a 330ci that is doing the same thing. It has become progressively worse over the last year so I started replacing things and have NOT found the major contributor yet.

So far I have replaced:
Front control arms and bushings
Front wheel bearings
Steering flex coupler (guibo)
Rear trailing arm bushings

All of the above items were showing signs of major wear or damage, improvements inhandling were noticable but none of them were the culprit of the wandering...

I am now more convinced that the shocks/struts and mounts etc are the likely offender. I will investigate their condition this weekend maybe.

So I vote Struts, strut mounts...

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Bimmer App

Last edited by Mobil; 01-28-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Mobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #20
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
My car still tramlines quite a bit. I believe that is what you guys are experiencing. It wanders a little too. I think my struts may be bad. I'm only at 75k miles but I believe the PO's location had crap roads. My steering is vastly improved after RTABs, FCABs, control arms, and a steering guibo. It's not perfect yet. I'm going for some coilovers or H&R for new suspension components. If that doesn't work, I'm getting a new steering rack.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote