E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
gfunkymonkey

My Ride: Techno Violet M3
Send a message via AIM to gfunkymonkey
Question 330ci Bluetooth retrofit help / TCU for sale

Hi everyone,
I have a 2004 330ci and have recently updated my TCU with the newest one available ($350 + core charge) in order to retrofit bluetooth. It worked perfectly, just install the antenna ($20) under the ash tray, and swap out the TCU. *see my previous thread for the correct model numbers*

Problem:
Feedback.
Anyone else have this problem? Its soooo annoying. its a buzzing sound, kinda like when you install a radio that isnt grounded properly. Now, the stealership told me that its a nightmare to swap the TCU. he really went out of his way to inform me of how much of a bad idea it is, and how it has to be reprogrammed etc etc. I'm assuming so he can charge and arm / first born to do it for me. It only has to be reprogrammed for the assist to work (which my car came with factory)

My question:
Does the car need to be reprogrammed so it knows a different TCU is there? Maybe it has a different power requirement, or is grounded differently, and w/o the reprogram it gives feedback? If theres any other explanation, plz plz plz let me know.

TCU for sale:
Im selling my old TCU, model # 84116947308
it does NOT have bluetooth (hence my swap)
just wondering how much its worth / if anyone wants it?
gfunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:17 AM   #2
gfunkymonkey

anyone?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
Swapping out a TCU is not a nightmare. It is a clean and easy swap. You can do the physical mounting in 20 mins or less and the stealer can reprogram it 20 mins or less.

Post your TCU PN, and let's check if it's been superseded. If so, you can ask your stealer for the newer version.

For cars with in-built Assist, TCU-based Bluetooth is an elegant and clean solution. However, I don't think you need to install any antenna - just a TCU swap and coding should give you what you need. Maybe this is causing the issue?
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
radaddict

My Ride: 325Xi
Well, if I've read your post correctly, you've got everything installed and working. You're only problem is feedback. That could be caused by a couple of things. Where is your phone while you're using it via BT? Is it possible that your voice is being picked up by both the phone and the BT microphone causing a feedback loop? Make sure your phone is not in speakerphone mode and the volume is turned down. It could also be your microphone in the car. BMW updated the mic at some point - I don't know the details. Do a search to find more info about the mic.
radaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
gfunkymonkey

Ok, so I talked to the service rep at Thompson BMW and he said that most likely a reprogram will fix it. "You'd be surprised as to how many little things like that a reprogram will fix." It would update the software to the latest version, and let it know I have a diff TCU, and code my vin number into the TCU and activate voice command. Supposedly.

The sound is similar to when you install a radio that isnt grounded properly. Like a buzzing sound or whirling sound that follows the throttle. I dont think the phone is too close to the antenna. I can disconnect the antenna and see what happens (maybe the TCU has one in it?)

It really only took about 10 mins altogether to install it.

How much can I get for my old one?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
gfunkymonkey

Also, when I hit the assist button before the swap, the sound was crystal clear, no feedback. And this is a brand new unit, the 13th version. "Superseded" if you will, I got it from ECS, and it came sealed in the original box.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
radaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunkymonkey View Post
Also, when I hit the assist button before the swap, the sound was crystal clear, no feedback. And this is a brand new unit, the 13th version. "Superseded" if you will, I got it from ECS, and it came sealed in the original box.
When you were using Assist with your old TCU, your cell phone was not involved. Try pairing and using a different phone - wife's, friends, whatever phone you can find with BT. See if that affects the buzz noise.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
radaddict

Quote:
Ok, so I talked to the service rep at Thompson BMW and he said that most likely a reprogram will fix it. "You'd be surprised as to how many little things like that a reprogram will fix." It would update the software to the latest version, and let it know I have a diff TCU, and code my vin number into the TCU and activate voice command. Supposedly.

The sound is similar to when you install a radio that isnt grounded properly. Like a buzzing sound or whirling sound that follows the throttle. I dont think the phone is too close to the antenna. I can disconnect the antenna and see what happens (maybe the TCU has one in it?)

Okay, a buzzing noise that changes pitch along with the throttle is not feedback. It could be a ground loop somewhere. Double check your connections.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #9
gfunkymonkey

Theres only 4 connections, all of which are plugs that only fit into certain areas. how should I check them? Does the TCU have its own BT antenna / should I removed the one i installed?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
radaddict

Quote:
Theres only 4 connections, all of which are plugs that only fit into certain areas. how should I check them? Does the TCU have its own BT antenna / should I removed the one i installed?
I merely meant to double check to make sure the connections are not loose. The TCU does not have it's own BT antenna. You need the one you installed under the ashtray.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
gfunkymonkey

Thank you, that makes sense. If that doesnt work, do you think a reprogram would help?
Old 05-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #12
radaddict

Quote:
Thank you, that makes sense. If that doesnt work, do you think a reprogram would help?
I don't know if the reprogram would fix the buzzing noise. I would try all other suggestions first and then have the TCU reprogrammed if all else failed. Definitely try a different cell phone if you can. I did the same thing you did to put BT in my '04 330Ci. The only difference was that I bought a used TCU from Ebay - mine works flawlessly (I did not have mine reprogrammed, but since it was used, it had been programmed for another car whereas yours is brand new and presumably never programmed at all).

One other thing you can try... I don't recall which setting it is, but if you step through your radio controls, there is a setting to change the volume of the calls you hear through your speakers. Perhaps lowering the volume may get rid of some of the noise you're hearing. If I have a chance later today, I'll look at my radio to see where that setting is.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
gfunkymonkey

Excellent, that helps. Do you have voice command?

Idk, the rep I was talking to - actually hes the Dinan rep, and we were setting up my S package upgrade for later this month - he said something about when they trouble shoot with BMW, they wont help them at all unless the car has the most current software, its always the first question they ask / thing they say to do according to him.

also, how much can I sling my old one on ebay for?

thanks everyone!
Old 05-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #14
radaddict

To adjust the volume settings (and I'm not sure this will help you or not): after you turn the radio on, press and hold the "m" key until the serial number displays on the radio. Now you can tab through different settings. I think the one you want is the TPV (or something like that) setting. You can change that setting using the + and - keys.

Yes, I have voice command. Are you sure that you don't? Press the talk button on your steering wheel until you hear a beep. Now say the word "help." If the system responds with a listing of the voice commands available, your voice command is working. If not, then you probably need to have your TCU reprogrammed.

I have no idea how much your old TCU is worth. The TCU I bought on Ebay cost me $140. Of course that TCU was a newer one that includes BT.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #15
alibusoul

My Ride: TiAg e46 Vert
sorry to go OT, but u live in Scanton, PA?! That's so awesome, i love the office That is all
Old 05-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #16
gfunkymonkey

update:
I called ECS and get this, the guy that I spoke with on the phone has the exact same problem!! He said his friend also got the same part and had no problem at all (weird). The ECS guy did not have his software reflashed, so I think I'm going to wait until I get mine reflashed before I get super PO'd.

Suggestions anyone?
Old 06-18-2009, 07:01 AM   #17
cak323i

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Quote:

I talked to a friend who works here at BMW of Newport and he told me the same exact thing. I also ordered a new 13th gen TCU and had mine installed and programmed, which is why I think I don't have any issues. The new TCU has been in my car a week now and so far no issues. I also have voice command active but have not used it yet. I will have to try this sometime today to see if it actually works in my car. The labor charge for my TCU install/programming was somewhere around $275 just so you know. Since you have some problems with your TCU (buzzing noises) if you were to take your car to a BMW service center then I'm guessing they would have to troubleshoot your problem as well as do the programming. Something to keep in mind... either way, good luck. My guess is that if you take your car in your problem should be taken care of unless you have a defective TCU...
2004 TiAg ///M l BC Racing BR Coilovers l Navigation | BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | OEM black interior retrofit | Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:16 AM   #18
gfunkymonkey

Awesome! Yea, I've talked to a few random ppl about the buzzing, and they said the same thing. so it MAY not be defective. I'm getting a Dinan S package installed the end of the month, and the guy is cuttin me a deal. He's installing the aux port ($40 woohoo), and reprogramming it, plus taking 10% off the labor charges for all of that and the Dinan labor, cuz hes the man.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:04 AM   #19
cak323i

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
I used voice command yesterday while driving home and yes, it does work. I think I might have to upgrade my mic though. The TCU was having problems recognizing my voice commands so I'm guessing that I don't have the newer upgraded mic. Looking into this but the 13th gen TCU voice command does work in my car.

gfunk, did you get the buzzing problem addressed yet? Curious how things are going at your end... Hope you get this sorted out soon! I'd be going nuts myself...
2004 TiAg ///M l BC Racing BR Coilovers l Navigation | BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | OEM black interior retrofit | Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #20
gfunkymonkey

it does drive me nuttttttttts! its like back in the day when you would "hook your car up" with a "Sweet system" and had a bad ground, and its like u have a supercharger in your speakers.

I cant get it programmed till the end of the month, the dealer is cuttin me a deal when i drop it off for the Dinan package.

Tags
bluetooth retrofit tcu