E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
packrat555

My Ride: 2001 325i
Installed GROM USB / Audio interface

I just installed a GROM USB / Audio interface in a 2001 325i for $133 delivered it does everything I needed.

Hot swap USB sticks that act like a 6 disc changer but it supports up to 32Gb so storage is virtually limitless. Forget your slow a$$ ipod interfaces this is the way to go. It displays the ID3 tag on the screen. Of course the limitation is you can't select by artist or album it simply plays what is in the directory so you can skip tracks or use the random play feature.

Bonus feature is an audio input so your can plug in anything with a headphone jack and use it's interface if you want more control.

It does have a few quirks you need to get used to but it works and sounds great.

Last edited by packrat555; 05-13-2009 at 12:47 AM.
packrat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:27 AM   #2
blatty86

My Ride: 2002 325i
i was reading about one of these a few days ago. sounds like its a pretty good upgrade for the stock radio.

blatty86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
packrat555

What I wound up doing is taking a usb connector that would normally plug into a motherboard. Cut a USB cable and soldered the two together, it's only 4 wires clearly color coded. I carved up the ashtray and mounted the connector into the bottom right hand corner making it easy to reach from the drivers side. The left side of the ash try is used to store additional flash drives. If you buy short flash drives you can even close the lid while they are plugged in.

You will have to carve up the plastic below the ashtray for the connector. I also realized when test fitting when you pull out the usb stick the ash try was coming out too. Turn to the hot glue gun to fix that. Definitely ghetto but none of that shows

For the audio I used a cable that came with my monitor to connect the speakers, it has cute a green connector. I drilled a hole in the top of the sunglasses compartment so I can plug in my ZUNE or any other player (www.anythingbutipod.com) and leave it in this compartment as well.

The device works amazingly well. You can hot sway usb sticks and withing a second it starts playing exactly where it left off the last time. I did have problems with one particularly old usb stick I tried using but everything else works flawlessly with no skipping or dropout or any playback problems at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw-usb.jpg
Views:	2704
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	315223  

Last edited by packrat555; 05-16-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
bmwstephen

My Ride: e46 325xi, e30 325is
Send a message via AIM to bmwstephen
great review!! I'm ordering mine soon as well. who the hell needs an ipod anymore!

Do you have a trunk or radio interface kit?
bmwstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
packrat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
great review!! I'm ordering mine soon as well. who the hell needs an ipod anymore!

Do you have a trunk or radio interface kit?
I went with the radio interface. I didn't like the idea of running the usb and audio wire back to the front but if you are not comfortable tappng wires for power and signal go for the cd interface.

They provide you crimp connectors but I don't like using those so I did a tap splice and soldered. I put the interface box above and to the left of the radio. You have to pull out the center vent to get to this location. Keep pulling hard it will eventually come out.

One thing to watch for is removing the trim around the stick. Find the diy here you need to pull up the trim in the center connected to the boot and remove two screws below to get it out.

If you go with the radio interface they instruct to connect power to a wire that is always hot verses the wire that is only hot when the ignition is switched on. I debated that with them but they assured me it goes into a sleep mode and draws virtually no power when the car is off. You will notice when you shut off the car the usb is still lit but give it some time and it does shut itself off.

Last edited by packrat555; 05-16-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
bmwstephen

My Ride: e46 325xi, e30 325is
Send a message via AIM to bmwstephen
soudns good, I was actually concerned with the power drawing issue as well. Do you by any chance know if this power shut off applies to the trunk interface as well? thats the only thing preventing me from hitting the submit button right now on my order
bmwstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
packrat555

I'm not sure but go back there and find the connector and if you find there is 12 volt's present then the grom box will see this power all the time. Then again so would the cd changer if it were plugged in.

Like I said the suggest tapping into pin 9 for the 12V which is how I left mine. I think you could tap pin 5 and get the 12v with the car is switched on

scroll down to see the pinout
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=610766

if you don;t mind pull the radio out and tapping the wire i'd go for the radio interface. Running long cable back to the fron of the car for the usb and audio in can onlt hurt the signal and possiable pickup some interference.

Last edited by packrat555; 05-18-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
blk04zhpcpe

My Ride: 2004 330ci zhp coupe
great write-up ! glad this kind of thing is finally available. i have the oem ipod interface but it no longer works. does anybody know if it will have to be removed to use the grom unit ?
blk04zhpcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
soko

My Ride: 2004 330i
[QUOTE=packrat555;9968748]What I wound up doing is taking a usb connector that would normally plug into a motherboard. Cut a USB cable and soldered the two together, it's only 4 wires clearly color coded. I carved up the ashtray and mounted the connector into the bottom right hand corner making it easy to reach from the drivers side. The left side of the ash try is used to store additional flash drives. If you buy short flash drives you can even close the lid while they are plugged in.

You will have to carve up the plastic below the ashtray for the connector. I also realized when test fitting when you pull out the usb stick the ash try was coming out too. Turn to the hot glue gun to fix that. Definitely ghetto but none of that shows

Packrat

I received my adapter yesterday and would like to install it today. I think the ashtray is the best place for USB connector as well. My only concern is, how to attach it securely enough, so when I plug the USB stick, it doesn't push the connector inside. Can you tell how did you do it? I am thinking of using the hot glue on the inside of the plastic cover below the ashtray.
soko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Ben Z.

My Ride: E46 M3
Here's something cool that I'm going to do with my new headunit:

http://ilari.scheinin.fidisk.fi/itunemywalkman/ this is for mac, itunes sync is one for PC..

Basically it lets your USB flash drive sync with iTunes so to your iPod cable headunit/dice/usb input, it looks like an ipod.. for a fraction of the cost
Ben Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
soko

OK, installed it yesterday, or almost installed it.
It plays the MP3s from the USB stick, but the volume is veeeeery low. Can't even crank it up enough and is pretty noisy. Emailed Grom tech support and I am waiting for their answer.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #12
packrat555

Packrat

I received my adapter yesterday and would like to install it today. I think the ashtray is the best place for USB connector as well. My only concern is, how to attach it securely enough, so when I plug the USB stick, it doesn't push the connector inside. Can you tell how did you do it? I am thinking of using the hot glue on the inside of the plastic cover below the ashtray.[/QUOTE]

My usb connector is a panel mount with screws. If you have build a pc the motherboard usually come with addional USB connectors that install in one of the rear slots. I am sure you can buy this at an pc hardware store or find a repair center I am sure they have a big box of them and you could snag one for a few bucks. I cut this cable and took a regular usb cable and cut off one end and spliced them together. ONly 4 wires clearly color coded. All this is hidden from view. That is what I used for the connector. In the bottom of the ash tray I drilled the 2 holes and cut the rectangle opening for the connector. It is actually bolted under the ash tray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw-usb.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	321824  

Last edited by packrat555; 07-03-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #13
jose325i

My Ride: 08 BMW 135i
so what kind of "quirks" are you talking about? can you elaborate on that? thanks
Old 07-06-2009, 01:20 AM   #14
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
Glad you are enjoying it. If you like having your music on a jumpdrive/usb stick the kit worked great when we tested one here at BSW!

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #15
soko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose325i View Post
so what kind of "quirks" are you talking about? can you elaborate on that? thanks
Basically I was unlucky to get a faulty unit. It connects to the radio, shows the ID tags, but the sound is barely audible. The tech support figured that the unit was probably damaged in shipping, they are sending a new one.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #16
Hartman

My Ride: 2000 323i
I'm assuming you have to have a radio with a MODE button for this to work? Or at least pre-wired for a changer?
Old 07-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #17
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
I would guess it was bad as well. Ours worked great on our e46 Business CD Test Bench

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #18
LewiNC

My Ride: 00 328
Re:

This is exactly what I'm looking for, thx!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:53 PM   #19
eml

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by soko View Post
Basically I was unlucky to get a faulty unit. It connects to the radio, shows the ID tags, but the sound is barely audible. The tech support figured that the unit was probably damaged in shipping, they are sending a new one.
have had my unit for a little over 2 weeks and the problem i'm experiencing is that playing from the USB stick suddenly cuts off and switches to the radio. if i try to "go back" to the GROM unit (via mode button), the display changes to the ID tags of the music last playing on the USB stick but what you hear is still the radio. it maybe takes a minute or so before i can actually go back and hear the music playing from the USB stick (same song as before it got cut).
eml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #20
soko

Quote:
Originally Posted by eml View Post
have had my unit for a little over 2 weeks and the problem i'm experiencing is that playing from the USB stick suddenly cuts off and switches to the radio. if i try to "go back" to the GROM unit (via mode button), the display changes to the ID tags of the music last playing on the USB stick but what you hear is still the radio. it maybe takes a minute or so before i can actually go back and hear the music playing from the USB stick (same song as before it got cut).
eml
did you update the firmware with most recent one? If not, give it a try. If you have already done it and it still does what it does the unit is defective. I guess your connections have to be good, otherwise the radio wouldn't be able to read anything from the USB stick. I would email GROM, or phone, explain the issue and get their authorization for the replacement.

I shipped the first unit and prepaid for the replacement, so I could get it quicker. They already received my first unit and refunded the prepayment. The new one should come any day now.

I was waiting for something like this for some time. I was encuraged by Packrat's and some other people's positive comments about this unit. I will see how it goes with the replacement.

Tags
interface, usb