E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #281
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
Here's a good update guys:

Under V46 EVerything was working as it should except just one thing: When I would use the voice command on my iphone (by pressing scan twice on the radio) , if I was listening the a USB, the USB music would continue playing during the call. Further more, the steering wheel controls would only work for the song, not ending the call.... this was awkward, as I left several people long ass voice mails cuz I couldn't end the call

Well obviously I contacted GROMs support and they (Dmitry specifically) has been great about helping me out! He had the guys at grom write up a new firmware (or at least he sent me one that was supposed to fix the issues I reported and possibly others too) and he actually sent it to me via email (V48) before releasing it on the website (still is not up there yet!). So after I got this firmware, I installed it, but low and behold, nothing at all worked lol. At least they are actively trying? Well I emailed him back a detailed troubleshooting of what I went through and how things went wrong. I am waiting to hear back from them tomorrow, but I guess what I am trying to relay to you guys, is that the support offered from GROM is amazing, and they actually care about their customers!
Old 12-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #282
03E464Me

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
I recently installed a Grom USB interface unit in my 2003 330i (Business CD head unit that doesn't read .mp3) and I am experiecing an issue with the unit freezing. I have seen references on other posts to freezing, but I thought I would post and see if anyone else has experienced this specific issue...

I have the trunk mounted unit installed and attached directly to the cd changer cable (no changer installed, and my flash drive is pluged directly into the Grom unit - not an extension cable). The unit plays fine, but once I turn off the ignition, and the car sits for a few hours (like when I am at work), the fun begins. I return to the car, start the engine, and the unit resumes playing exactly where it left off. However, when the FIRST song finishes, the unit freezes. The only way to reset the unit is to disconnect it completely from the cable attached to the cd changer cable. Not too convenient.

I have flashed the firmware with every version from 39 to 46. I have tried 3 different flash drives (different sizes and manufacturers). I have formatted each drive as FAT and FAT32. id3 tags look fine and all disply on the head unit as expected.

Grom support responds once per day with a new question, but no answers.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks in advance!
03E464Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #283
radarcontact

My Ride: 2006 330CiC/ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03E464Me View Post
I recently installed a Grom USB interface unit in my 2003 330i (Business CD head unit that doesn't read .mp3) and I am experiecing an issue with the unit freezing. I have seen references on other posts to freezing, but I thought I would post and see if anyone else has experienced this specific issue...

I have the trunk mounted unit installed and attached directly to the cd changer cable (no changer installed, and my flash drive is pluged directly into the Grom unit - not an extension cable). The unit plays fine, but once I turn off the ignition, and the car sits for a few hours (like when I am at work), the fun begins. I return to the car, start the engine, and the unit resumes playing exactly where it left off. However, when the FIRST song finishes, the unit freezes. The only way to reset the unit is to disconnect it completely from the cable attached to the cd changer cable. Not too convenient.

I have flashed the firmware with every version from 39 to 46. I have tried 3 different flash drives (different sizes and manufacturers). I have formatted each drive as FAT and FAT32. id3 tags look fine and all disply on the head unit as expected.

Grom support responds once per day with a new question, but no answers.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks in advance!
Try a different brand of USB stick. That, and going back to an older f/w corrected the probs I had early on.
radarcontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #284
sephadex

My Ride: 2002 325 iT
This thread is great, answering a ton of questions for me. I'm getting ready to install my box over the weekend into my 2002 325iT. I had one question I didn't see posted that I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out with. I bought the Bluetooth dongle so that I can do handsfree calling and stream A2DP, but can I stream A2DP via bluetooth and charge my phone via the USB port at the same time?

Thanks in advance!
sephadex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #285
sephadex

Button Bar Removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
Finally, I put my female usb into my button bar! I havent painted it yet, but It is 100% (there is a tiny area i will refill with epoxy, but i am too exited so ill share now!) flush and will look amazing when I do paint it.... here is what it looks like so far!
So how did you manage to get the button bar out? I'm trying to do this install as clean as possible, and yours looks great!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #286
TR4G-

I do not have the iPod accessory however judging from the interaction between the USB stick and bluetooth, I would venture to say yes it does charge and do a2dp simultaneously. I am getting an updated box from grom tomorrow, so I'll ask them and get back to you as soon as possible.

As for the button bar removal search the forum there are detailed instructions on removing the trim and accessing it but basically you do this:

1)pinch the shift boot inwards and pull up to remove
2) unscrew 2 screws on shift trim. Disconnect window/lock buttons. Remove
3)unscrew 2 screws on bottom of ash tray/sun glass holder. Pull up and out and disconnect wires.
4)remove button bar via two screws.

UPDATE TO GROM:

I had a major issue during the winter where the grom box would only function after it had heated up for a full 10-15 minutes. BUT I would have to turn off the car and restart for the box to be recognized. Grom got back to me and are mailing me a new box because apparently they resolved this issue! It will also come loads with firmware v48 which will hopefully (is stated that it does...) fix the Bluetooth issue I stated earlier and various other things too!
Old 01-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #287
sephadex

Awesome - I'll definitely look for those threads. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #288
sephadex

This is driving me crazy - I appreciate the continued answers I'm getting.

I've got the Grom box powered up - I even soldered the wires into the harness to make sure the connections were right. I have the 10 Pin connector in place, but all I get out of the speakers is a hum, and kind of digital skipping noise. The box recognizes the USB stick, the text appears on the stereo, I can switch over to bluetooth, even use the steering wheel controls, but never any sound. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks again.

Here's a link to a video that shows what's going on:

Last edited by sephadex; 01-28-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Added video
Old 01-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #289
TR4G-

Ok well from my experience it is most likely that you have the 10 pin connector installed, but that you have It off by 2 pins either to the left or to the right. This happened to me when I first installed it because the location is very deep due to the radio connector. Triple check this because that's the only thing I can think of!
Old 01-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #290
sephadex

Unfortunately, there are only 10 pins in the socket, not 12, so it can't be in the wrong place.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #291
TR4G-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephadex View Post
Unfortunately, there are only 10 pins in the socket, not 12, so it can't be in the wrong place.
Same with mine. I just had mine off by two. But assuming it is installed correctly your best bet is to contact grom : / I'd double check the connector before calling them up because it takes about a week or longer to get a replacement box
Old 01-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #292
sephadex

I'll definitely double check that tomorrow, i didn't even consider that maybe the 10 pin connector could be off on a 10 pin socket and both harnesses are so short i certainly can't actually see it. I'll figure out some way to verify it. thanks.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #293
TR4G-

What I did was actually pull the 10 pin connector through that hole in the radio connector so that I could put it in first and then slide the OEM connector over It and secure that second. Does that make sense?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #294
sephadex

That makes perfect sense and what I would have liked to do, but the GROM cable barely makes it from the glove box to the back of the radio, so I went out tonight and got some 22 gauge butt connectors and some solid core wire, and what I'm planning on doing tomorrow morning is sliding the open end of the butt connectors with a wire attached to each of them onto the pins and then putting the other end of the wire into the 10 pin connector on the GROM cable just so I have some room to actually try that out. I figure that will allow me to know exactly where the wires are before I put the harness back in place and prove one way or the other whether or not it's the actual box. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #295
sephadex

Unfortunately, I proved my point. Allmof the wires are in the right places. I think I have a busted box.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #296
TR4G-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephadex View Post
Unfortunately, I proved my point. Allmof the wires are in the right places. I think I have a busted box.
Ugh. That sucks man. I'm sorry about that. I hate getting stuff that doesn't work what firmware do you have on the box? Have you tried updating to the most recent version (48) and if it's already on 48 try updating to 46. I had 46 and could never get 48 to work properly. I'm assuming they fixed it but I'd try upgrading to 46 just because I personally know its stable!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #297
sephadex

Just a quick update. I got it working and all is good. Turns out I actually did screw up the end of it. I was putting the cd connection in the empty slot NEXT to the cd changer cable, because in my brain that made perfect sense. Once I actually unplugged the cd changer cable and plugged in the Grom it worked like a charm. Sounds great, can't see any wires, I love it.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #298
drummr8

My Ride: Steel Grey 02 330Ci
resurrecting this crazy old thread... I just got a GROM unit and it is definitely the best purchase I've made for the car (other than suspension refresh )

However, when I'm in bluetooth mode streaming music, I am unable to change tracks using my steering wheel controls - anyone else have this issue?
drummr8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interface, usb