E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #21
eml

My Ride: E46 M3
soko, yes the firmware is (i believe) the latest -- V12. anyway, i've emailed them and am waiting for a reply.
eml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #22
eml

V14 of the firmware is now available. will test it and see if this fixes things. otherwise, it's back to the box!
Old 07-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #23
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I was also wondering if the OP could explain what "quirks" he's found with the unt. I'm thinking of just getting the AUX only device, but the USB thing would be cool to have that option. I'd mount the USB port and the AUX port both in the ashtray side by side if possible.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #24
packrat555

My Ride: 2001 325i
The only problem with the Grom usb device is occasional lockups. While it is nice you can flash upgrade the software and Grom is releasing new versions every few weeks they still have not made this thing bullet proof. I haven;t tried the latest v14 yet so I will do the upgrade and report back in a few days if there are improvements.

What happens is the USB stops playing and reverts to the cd or radio. While switching the car on and off sometimes recovers there have been times I have needed to pull a fuse to power cycle the grom unit.

I would suggest going for the USB interface. I have the AUX cable and a 30gig zune but I never use it, or the cd player for that matter. It's too easy to simply swap usb sticks that you can control with the steering wheel controls.

You don't need large usb sticks either, if you compress to 128K you can fit 6 albums on a 256k stick and that is how the interface operates, just like a 6 disk changer. If you are into creating playlist than you can dump as many files as you want into one of six folders on the usb stick and let them play that way.
packrat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:06 AM   #25
ZZen330

packrat - thanks for the info. Does occassionaly meanonce a week? Once a month? Once a day? Thanks again.

Any issues with the Aux portion of it. I know you dont use it but did you test it out or heard of any issues?
Old 07-30-2009, 04:13 AM   #26
kal44

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
for $130 there is no better way. ALL!!! BMW cars are prewired for a CD changer so it doesnt matter if you have a mode button or not. My head unit is from 2000 and it works perfectly. It occassionally has the problem mentioned above, but its not a big discomfort. I've had it for 3 months now and i coulndnt be happier.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #27
ZZen330

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal44 View Post
for $130 there is no better way. ALL!!! BMW cars are prewired for a CD changer so it doesnt matter if you have a mode button or not. My head unit is from 2000 and it works perfectly. It occassionally has the problem mentioned above, but its not a big discomfort. I've had it for 3 months now and i coulndnt be happier.
kal -coudl you chime in with how "occassionaly" the usb glitch happens? How many times in the 3 months you've had it? Any issues with the aux portion of it?

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #28
packrat555

It's not every day event that I experience the lockup and have gone several days. I won't pass judgment on the latest software version for a couple weeks. The AUX works fine you just need to unplug the USB stick for the AUX to work. This is not a problem in my setup with the usb in the front of the car.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:44 AM   #29
eml

with V12 and V13, i've usually had at least 1 lockup each day. (knock on wood) with V14, i haven't had one in a week.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:24 PM   #30
soko

My Ride: 2004 330i
My replacement unit came a few days ago when I was on vacation. I thought maybe I write about it and someone could help, or suggest something.

Installed it again today and it does the same thing, the volume is way too low. There is a little difference though, without turning the ignition on, it's a little louder. If the ignition is on, the volume is lower and there is a lot of distortion. I upgraded to the newest firmware, no difference.

I am thinking that I would have to be very unlucky to get the second bad unit, which does almost the same thing as the first one. Maybe, then, it's my car. It is 2004 330i, Canadian specs and has the Harman Kardon upgrade. I also had the Parrot 3100 installed. It was done by a professional shop, not me. I don't think all that makes any difference. I am ordering the trunk connector, maybe it will solve all of the issues, without me pulling out my hairs and figuring out what could it be.
soko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #31
packrat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by soko View Post
My replacement unit came a few days ago when I was on vacation. I thought maybe I write about it and someone could help, or suggest something.

Installed it again today and it does the same thing, the volume is way too low. There is a little difference though, without turning the ignition on, it's a little louder. If the ignition is on, the volume is lower and there is a lot of distortion. I upgraded to the newest firmware, no difference.

I am thinking that I would have to be very unlucky to get the second bad unit, which does almost the same thing as the first one. Maybe, then, it's my car. It is 2004 330i, Canadian specs and has the Harman Kardon upgrade. I also had the Parrot 3100 installed. It was done by a professional shop, not me. I don't think all that makes any difference. I am ordering the trunk connector, maybe it will solve all of the issues, without me pulling out my hairs and figuring out what could it be.

If you have a newer business cd unit where did they hook up the audio cable on the back. You should have two connections the cd changer cable connection and the aux connection to the right of it.

You should pull out the radio and check and try unplugging the cdchanger cable and plug in the grom to that connector. Follow the instructions and make sure you have the pins correct.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #32
packrat555

Does v14 software not support ID3 test being displayed on the radio???
Old 08-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #33
Stingray230sx

My Ride: 2001 330Ci,
wil this work for a car with nav? where are u guys getting these at?

thanxs

doug
Stingray230sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #34
Stingray230sx

i looked on the grom website but cant find any info saying that it works for a nav equiped car?

doug
Old 08-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #35
eml

i have nav. v14 still supports ID3 text.

didn't knock on wood hard enough as i got 2 glitches yesterday (after a week of clean running).
Old 08-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #36
soko

My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat555 View Post
If you have a newer business cd unit where did they hook up the audio cable on the back. You should have two connections the cd changer cable connection and the aux connection to the right of it.

You should pull out the radio and check and try unplugging the cdchanger cable and plug in the grom to that connector. Follow the instructions and make sure you have the pins correct.
I have the newer unit because it has those aux and CD changer connectors as you are saying. I connected it from the beginning as you explained and as the manual says, the pins are aligned, yellow cable is up. I guess, I will just wait for the trunk connector and will see what happens.
soko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #37
packrat555

it should work on either connector the aux or the cd. I think. Have you tried both?
Old 08-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #38
packrat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray230sx View Post
i looked on the grom website but cant find any info saying that it works for a nav equiped car?

doug
If you have cdchanger wiring then it should work. The grom sort of emulates a cd changer.

www.gromaudio.com this is where I bought mind. Send them an email I am sure they will know.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #39
Stingray230sx

thanks
yea i have the nav/harmon kardon with a cassette in front and a 6 cd changer in the back........kinda getting tired of my cd "cassette" holder jamming and having to remove and "unjam" it then put it all back together.

still looking for a 16x9 display with a cd in the front though................
just hoping to find one cheaper than the 700.00+ they are on ebay for though

thanks again

doug
Old 08-04-2009, 12:38 AM   #40
packrat555

since I installed the grom usb I have never used my cd player. I see no need to burn a cd when I can copy the files onto a usb stick

Tags
interface, usb