E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 03:12 AM   #41
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Hmm, I wonder why soko is getting low audio volume. That doesn't seem to be a problem with you other guys?

It seems the USB glitches range from daily to weekly. That seems kinda annoying. Maybe I'll jsut get the AUX only version for half the price.

Hmm....
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #42
Stingray230sx

My Ride: 2001 330Ci,
Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat555 View Post
since I installed the grom usb I have never used my cd player. I see no need to burn a cd when I can copy the files onto a usb stick

thats kinda what i was hoping to get to, BUT sometimes the honey in the passenger seat wants to hear "her" cd, then whatya gonna do :-)

doug
Stingray230sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:27 AM   #43
ZZen330

soko - have you tried it with the trunk connection yet?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:42 AM   #44
ZZen330

What's more work for an installer? - Trunk connection then run an audio through to from for installation in the ashtray or radio connection having to take apart dash, radio, tap into power/signal etc?

I want the aux port in the ashtray next to the cig lighter and think the trunk connect may be simpler (assuming using a well shielded 3.5mm audio cable). I'm thinkig on skipping the USB version for Aux only.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #45
soko

My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
soko - have you tried it with the trunk connection yet?
I haven't yet, just ordered the cable. It will take probably 10 days to get it.
In the mean time Grom wants me to take the pictures of the back of my radio showing the cables. They think something is wrong with my wiring. My car is Canadian specs with Harman Kardon upgrade and doesn't have bluetooth prewiring. I am thinking now, that this might be the problem.

I wouldn't like anybody to think that my problem with volume suggests that Grom unit has glitches and is not totally ready yet. My feeling is that the volume problem it's isolated to my Canadian specs stereo wiring. I will use the trunk connector, when it comes, and will see how it goes. Now I am also thinking, that this would be a cleaner installation, no need to tap to the wires at the back of the stereo and mess with them. The only thing is running them from the trunk to the front, but in the end it should be the same amount of work as the dash installation. I will post about it when the trunk cable comes.
soko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:40 PM   #46
ZZen330

Mine is a Canadian car also with HK. However, I don't think bluetooth pre-wire was even an option for my year 2002. I'm also thinking about just doing the trunk connection (no pulling headunit, no tapping wires). My seats fold down so running the wires to the front shouldn't be that hard. The only thing is I want my ports in the ashtray like packrat did which might have been easier coming right down from behind the headunit.

I'm torn between just gtting the AUX unit as my iPhone is the main reason I want this, and save half the price, or getting the USB/aux unit for the added flexibility of USB sticks which would be cool (if it worked well).

Ugh!
Old 08-06-2009, 04:36 AM   #47
ZZen330

packrat - I've decided to give the usb grom a try. I'm going to try the trunk connection for ease of self install.

I will install both the aux and usb ports in the ashtray similar to what you did. I've ordered a panel mount usb cable and a panel mount 3.5mm audio cable. Can you show some pics of how you carved up the plastic that is UNDER the ashtray? Did you remove the two-pronged hinge-like thing that is there when you remove the ashtray? How much room below the ashtray and the plastic below it for the usb connector (and audio jack in my case)?

Really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #48
kal44

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
The glitch is simple to fix. Turn off, then turn on the ignition and it works. if it doesnt disconnect and reconnect the usb. Since i upgraded to the latest software it hadnt locked up on me for more than a 2 weeks and i spend 2-4h in the car daily with it on all the time.
I opted for the trunk installation because i plug in my USB and leave it there. i have no need to access the usb port all the time. With 32gb of music i dont need to change it every 20 min.
This is probably the best & easiest mod in my BMW.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #49
eml

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kal44 View Post
The glitch is simple to fix. Turn off, then turn on the ignition and it works. if it doesnt disconnect and reconnect the usb. Since i upgraded to the latest software it hadnt locked up on me for more than a 2 weeks and i spend 2-4h in the car daily with it on all the time.
I opted for the trunk installation because i plug in my USB and leave it there. i have no need to access the usb port all the time. With 32gb of music i dont need to change it every 20 min.
This is probably the best & easiest mod in my BMW.
was almost lucky with the the latest (V14) firmware. i'm giving myself (or GROM) one last chance (maybe with V15) to get this lockup issue fixed. otherwise, i'll ask for a replacement.

anyway, agree with kal44 -- one of the best mods in terms of practicality. beats any iPod for ease of use -- no more iTunes, can go up to 32GB with a matchbox-size thing (although I have 2 16GB sticks), cheap, no more worries about iPods getting obsolete, etc.

once the lockup issue disappears permanently, i plan to run the supplied cable from the trunk to the center console so that i can have the option of changing USB sticks easily. i bought this OEM USB plug and will install it either in the tray that comes with the coin holder, the rear ashtray or, maybe just the front ashtray -- still deciding.

eml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #50
bmwstephen

My Ride: e46 325xi, e30 325is
Send a message via AIM to bmwstephen
thats oem??
bmwstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:34 AM   #51
eml

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
thats oem??
yup. part number 61 31 9 167 196.

i had the option of getting the USB + Aux plug, the part you typically see in the center console/armrest compartment of the E9x 3-Series cars, but chose this one instead as i don't think i will be using the Aux plug anyway.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #52
packrat555

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by eml View Post
yup. part number 61 31 9 167 196.

i had the option of getting the USB + Aux plug, the part you typically see in the center console/armrest compartment of the E9x 3-Series cars, but chose this one instead as i don't think i will be using the Aux plug anyway.
great find. here is a link to other variations:

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E9...aux_in_socket/

Last edited by packrat555; 08-08-2009 at 12:29 PM.
packrat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #53
bmwstephen

i see, where is the spot you could hook it up to?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:45 PM   #54
bmwstephen

so are these lock ups plaguing the radio connected units and not the trunk ones?
Old 08-11-2009, 01:56 AM   #55
eml

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
so are these lock ups plaguing the radio connected units and not the trunk ones?
mine's trunk connected.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #56
packrat555

mine is radio connected. I have been running v14 for more than a week error free. It shouldn't make any difference where it is connected. It is something to do with the ibus when it starts acting up mine has even caused the air conditioning fan speed to glitch and reset. But it has been stable for a while now.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #57
7xes

My Ride: M3
Send a message via AIM to 7xes
hows the sound quality?
7xes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:39 PM   #58
packrat555

sound is as good as any other mp3 player would be. You won't listen to a cd after you install the grom usb there is no need for cd players in cars are as obsolete as the old cd "walkman" type players.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:36 AM   #59
kal44

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
sound quality depends a lot on the bitrate of the MP3. I wouldnt change this mod for anything.. if you are having any doubts, just take the leap. Simple to install and its very functional.. If you dont feel like ripping apart your interior (like me) you can leave the USB drive in the trunk... i mean how often are you going to change it out? I take it out once a month to update the music on there.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #60
7xes

My Ride: M3
Send a message via AIM to 7xes
Is the sound quality comperable to CD with mp3s on it? I was thinking about getting oem ipod integration kit. Which one would you go for? Hows the control over albums/artists/playlists on the GROM unit?
7xes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interface, usb