E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 11:45 PM   #61
packrat555

My Ride: 2001 325i
the grom acts like a cd changer plain and simple. Make 6 folders on the usb stick and they act exactly a a 6 cd changer. id3 text is displayed and random play works otherwise push one of the 6 buttones to access each folder. The grom remembers what was playing last in each folder.
packrat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:50 AM   #62
kal44

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7xes View Post
Is the sound quality comperable to CD with mp3s on it? I was thinking about getting oem ipod integration kit. Which one would you go for? Hows the control over albums/artists/playlists on the GROM unit?
better or worse i for sure cant tell the difference. I would think its better since there is no dusty/scratched surface that can lower the quality.

I would always go with the USB over iPOD because you can leave the usb-drive in the car, and a 32gb stick is like $60 . so if it breaks or whatever its easier to replace.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #63
j1ggastyle

My Ride: 01 325ci
for the novice....I have a 01 325ci with the old cd player(non-mode button). For a self install, is it as simple as plugging the device into the CD Changer port in the truck and plug in the USB in the trunk? Sorry for the question. Thanks!!
j1ggastyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #64
soko

My Ride: 2004 330i
I have an update to whoever might be interested.

It's a little embarrassing... Still all the info in the end might be helpful to somebody who is buying the unit.
My audio cable wasn't connected properly. The connector at the back of the radio has two rows of five pins. My cable was inserted over only one row of pins and that caused all the volume problems. I thought there is no way of misaligning that audio cable, but turns out it is possible.
It is only a few days since I properly installed it, but after updating the firmware it seems to be working pretty good, as advertised.
soko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #65
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Glad you got that sorted out soko.

So you never tried the trunk connection then? I thought you ordered the cable?

I actually ordered the adaptor back on August 6th with shipping info (USPS so not really trackable) generated on the 7th and haven't received it yet :-(
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:18 AM   #66
soko

Zzen

I did receive the trunk cable, but ended up not using it. When it came in, I removed the radio and was going to put back the cd changer audio cable to prepare for trunk installation. This was when I noticed that the GROM audio cable wasn't inserted properly. Aligned it properly, tried and it started working, so I didn't bother to try to reinstall everything to trunk connection.

I think that trunk connection is definitely cleaner and now this would have been my preferred way of installing it. No need to cut thru the harness cables with t clips, instead it's a straight plug into the cd changer connector. Running the cables is easier with dash installation, but running them from the trunk shouldn't be such a hassle. I also ended up installing the USB connector in the coin holder, below the armrest. I bought one of those flat panel mounted ones, drilled/cut an opening in the coin holder, two holes for screws and it's very solid. Ended up removing that rubber tray to allow room for proper connection when inserting the USB stick. I thought ashtray is a little inconvenient to access, the stick is in a way.

The device is very nice, works well so far.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #67
ZZen330

soko - I also picked up a panel mount USB port as well as panel mount 3.5mm audio. What tool did you use to do the rectangular cutout for the port? I have a dremel-type tool with various bits as well as a regualr drill. Any chance of some pis of your install? Where did you put the aux jack?

Mine better show up this week....

Thanks
Old 08-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #68
soko

ZZen - I used a drill and then an exacto knife. Totally unprofessional, I know, dremel tool with tiny blade is what you should use on it. I didn't put the aux connector yet, still deciding. I might just run the cable to the glove compartment and leave it there, or install the aux panel mount beside the USB. The only thing to consider the USB in the coin holder is the size of your USB stick. Can't be too long, I guess up to two inches maybe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roman 043-1.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	328180  
Old 08-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #69
ZZen330

soko - great! thanks for the pic and info. Hmm, not sure if I ave a tiny cutting blade for my dremel-type tool. I'll have to look into that.

My GROM finally came today so hopefully this weekend will be install time. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:56 AM   #70
ZZen330

Looks like GROM's site has a new firmware version 16 now.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:40 PM   #71
eedna

My Ride: 01 325i
i just got through trying to install the radio mount, got it wired and plugged everything in to test, turned on the car and switched to cd, then hit the cd button again to put it in changer mode, and nothing happened. pressed the cd button a few more times and still nothing, after a few minutes there was a popping sound out of the unit and that distinct smell of electronics getting fried about to go look up some rma info, anyone had any dealings with them before?
eedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #72
ZZen330

I've partially done my install. Just testing things before I continue on. It works ok. But it is finicky when trying to change from the USB mode to the AUX input mode. At first when I get it to aux mode the audio volume is super low. What I found works is if I plug in the USB stick (then leave it in or pull it back out) then AUX goes to proper/full volume. It seems I have to do that each time I go to AUX mode.

Maybe I should have skipped the USB version and got the AUX only version as my primary purpose was to get tunes out of my iphone. I thought the USB would be a nice bonus. The USB stick does work well though.

From my iphone Im getting a ground loop engine whine but Im sure a ground loop isolator will fix that.

I did the trunk connection which was pretty easy.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:44 AM   #73
leoonidp

My Ride: BMW 3 2002 20i
GROM USB - is it supported by radio tape?

Hi,

I have BMW 2002 20i series 3, and it has radio tape in it, with the CD changer control and all the changer cable hairness inthe back trunk. A question - did anybody install GROM USB for such a radtio tape? Was it fully functional?

Thanks,
leoonidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:48 AM   #74
ZZen330

It should work with your tape deck since you have cd changer wiring in the trunk.

As for my setup/install...I did a ton of work running a nice stealth install, custom port holes etc, only to decide after testing it for 2 days, that this unit is GOOD ONLY if you plan to primarily use the USB stick function of it. The AUX port functionality is way way to flaky, at least on my car to be useful. I'm going to chane to the AUX only version despite already having wired in a USB cable and port.

For USB use go for it, but forget about the Aux side of the combo device.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #75
packrat555

I have been running v14 for several weeks now starting the car at least 3-4 times a day and not a single lockup. I have not tried using the AUX. I am not going to upgrade to the current version v16, the usage instructions looks to flakey to me. Maybe the first time I have ever passed on a software upgrade.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #76
eml

My Ride: E46 M3
i myself thought v14 was the end of the tunnel but i was wrong. i was asked to test a v15n (no text) to isolate whether it was the text causing the lockup. unfortunately (and worse), i think the v15n upgrade killed my unit -- now it doesn't recognize any of my usb sticks that have music on them. i'm now waiting for a response from them how to revive the thing.

just to complete the story, my mp3 files have album, artist, year, genre and title tags. so i'm not sure if too many tags (and thus the need for the unit to process and pass these info to the bus) causes the lockups.

anyway, for now (hopefully just), am back to the cd changer.
eml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #77
soko

Eml

Itís pretty bad with what happened to your unit.

I donít have the aux cable attached, and after sorting out the connections my unit plays OK. I also downgraded back to v14. V16 just locked it up and was showing AUXILIARY all the time. I read GROMís FAQ. It's a must for anybody using the adapter. I found out that the unit is really picky how you organize your files on your stick. You have to follow certain rules in naming the folders and files. If you donít, it might not, actually it wonít read it properly.

Please keep us posted how GROM treats you and what's happening with your unit.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:08 PM   #78
eml

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by soko View Post
I read GROMís FAQ. It's a must for anybody using the adapter. I found out that the unit is really picky how you organize your files on your stick. You have to follow certain rules in naming the folders and files. If you donít, it might not, actually it wonít read it properly.
soko, where is this FAQ? i've read all the documents i could get my hands on: everything on the GROM website even before i bought the unit, all the pieces of paper that came with the unit, a lot of forum discussions i could find (here, InDashPC.org, even the priuschat.com and ridgelineownersclub.com boards).

my naming convention is quite simple, too. i have 6 folders (01 xxx, 02 xxx, 03 xxx, etc.) and files on each folder are similarly named (01 xxx.mp3, 02 xxx.mp3, 03 xxx.mp3, etc.). at this point, i am just using a 1GB stick (i haven't gone to organizing my music on the 16GB sticks i bought for this unit as i haven't seen the end of the tunnel yet, so to speak) so the maximum number of songs i have on 1 folder is about 24. the songs do have their full title so some may be long so would that be an issue? do i delete/clear the tags which don't end up being displayed anyway (the unit only shows title, artist and album)?

as to being locked to AUX, i believe it's more of a difficulty (or being finicky)switching between AUX and USB modes that's the problem.

am just wondering if GROM is a 2- or 3-person enterprise as the response and action rate is such ...
eml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #79
ZZen330

"as to being locked to AUX, i believe it's more of a difficulty (or being finicky)switching between AUX and USB modes that's the problem"

Yup.

I've been told a new firmware should be out in a couple days that will fix AUX.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #80
packrat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by eml View Post
i myself thought v14 was the end of the tunnel but i was wrong. i was asked to test a v15n (no text) to isolate whether it was the text causing the lockup. unfortunately (and worse), i think the v15n upgrade killed my unit -- now it doesn't recognize any of my usb sticks that have music on them. i'm now waiting for a response from them how to revive the thing.

just to complete the story, my mp3 files have album, artist, year, genre and title tags. so i'm not sure if too many tags (and thus the need for the unit to process and pass these info to the bus) causes the lockups.

anyway, for now (hopefully just), am back to the cd changer.
I suspect the id3 text is causing the lockups too. It does have to send this data over the ibus and often times it will display garbage characters when only id3v2 data exist. It only likes the v1 so delete all the v2 data may make it more reliable.

Seems like grom lack focus they seem to be jumping all over the place with their upgrades.

Last edited by packrat555; 08-26-2009 at 10:35 PM.

Tags
interface, usb