E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 08:46 AM   #81
soko

My Ride: 2004 330i
[QUOTE=eml;10521444]soko, where is this FAQ?

eml
here it is:
http://gromaudio.com/support/usb-faq.html
soko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:09 PM   #82
soko

I tried something today. I created 8 folders on my USB stick and named them in this manner: 01-ONE, 02-TWO, etc to 08-EIGHT. Then, created a subdirectory within each folder. Each subdirectory was usually called whatewer the artist and album name were. No real rule in naming here, sometimes the year was added, sometimes it was in [brackets], most of them included spaces. In some cases there were say 20-30 characters in that name. Then, copied the mp3 files to respective subdirectories. Again, kept the numbering as GROM suggests: 01 x***xx.mp3, 02 x***xx.mp3 etc. Some of the subdirectories contained a file for album art called 'cover.jpg', or something like that (no number at the beginning). I tried to play some of that on my way home from work. Everything played correctly during that Ĺ hr drive. I skipped forward thru some tunes, got to the last one in folder 06-SIX, pressed next and it went to 07-SEVEN and played the tunes. Then I skipped to the last tune, pressed next and it went to 08-EIGHT and again it played the tunes from that folder.
I need to do some more testing. That Ĺ hr is way too short to come to some conclusions about what works, what doesn't , but I think, so far it's promising. It looks like even on BMW's radio you can have more then 6 folders. Too bad you can't jump to any one of them that's higher then 6. It also might look, that the folder's naming is important.
I still need to try that 'SCAN' button on the radio to see if it will jump 10 tunes ahead, I always forget.

Last edited by soko; 08-28-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #83
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
SCAN does indeed jump 10 tracks ahead or back. Hit SCAN to go into scan mode then hit the track forward or back button. Viola!

I'm still waiting to see if a new firmware to fix the AUX and mode changing pops up (they said it wold be a couple days, two days ago) before my 30 day guarantee period is up.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:20 AM   #84
eml

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat555 View Post
I suspect the id3 text is causing the lockups too. It does have to send this data over the ibus and often times it will display garbage characters when only id3v2 data exist. It only likes the v1 so delete all the v2 data may make it more reliable.
pardon the ignorance but what's v2 data vs v1?

i haven't had the experience seeing garbage characters though.
eml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #85
soko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
SCAN does indeed jump 10 tracks ahead or back. Hit SCAN to go into scan mode then hit the track forward or back button. Viola!
ZZen
I found out about that this morning, sort of coincidently. This feature is actually very usefull. The only limitation is, if you are at the position of less then 10 tunes to the end of the folder, it will jump only to the first song from the next folder.

I think I am starting to enjoy that USB thingy more and more. I hope that AUX will be fixed soon so you can start using it. Kids keep asking when will they be able to plug their ipods too, so I am also waiting for that feature to be fixed.

eml
I saw garbage characters on my unit. I think if your tags use something like !,@,#,$,% they will show as garbage. If you happen to have the tags using different than latin characters they will also show as garbage.

I am no expert in id3 tags, but from what I understand it's the song/album info attached to that file. V2 version includes all the info v1 has plus some more.

Last edited by soko; 08-28-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:01 AM   #86
eml

thanks soko. read that faq, too.

read up on id3v1 and v2 and, nope, i didn't have v2 tags. all my files were saved with id3v1 tags only.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:48 AM   #87
packrat555

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by soko View Post
I tried something today. I created 8 folders on my USB stick and named them in this manner: 01-ONE, 02-TWO, etc to 08-EIGHT. Then, created a subdirectory within each folder. Each subdirectory was usually called whatewer the artist and album name were. No real rule in naming here, sometimes the year was added, sometimes it was in [brackets], most of them included spaces. In some cases there were say 20-30 characters in that name. Then, copied the mp3 files to respective subdirectories. Again, kept the numbering as GROM suggests: 01 x***xx.mp3, 02 x***xx.mp3 etc. Some of the subdirectories contained a file for album art called 'cover.jpg', or something like that (no number at the beginning). I tried to play some of that on my way home from work. Everything played correctly during that Ĺ hr drive. I skipped forward thru some tunes, got to the last one in folder 06-SIX, pressed next and it went to 07-SEVEN and played the tunes. Then I skipped to the last tune, pressed next and it went to 08-EIGHT and again it played the tunes from that folder.
I need to do some more testing. That Ĺ hr is way too short to come to some conclusions about what works, what doesn't , but I think, so far it's promising. It looks like even on BMW's radio you can have more then 6 folders. Too bad you can't jump to any one of them that's higher then 6. It also might look, that the folder's naming is important.
I still need to try that 'SCAN' button on the radio to see if it will jump 10 tunes ahead, I always forget.
You can go up to 10 root folders which will display as cd0

If grom was clever they could program one of the unused buttons to advance to the next cd and with mor hacking maybe even break the 10 cd barrier. But right now they need to get this thing more stable.
packrat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #88
packrat555

here is a good free program that lets you work with both v1 and v2 tags
http://www.id3-tagit.de/
Old 08-31-2009, 12:09 AM   #89
eml

Quote:
I think I am starting to enjoy that USB thingy more and more.
soko, so you're not experiencing lockups? what firmware version are you on?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:43 AM   #90
soko

Quote:
Originally Posted by eml View Post
soko, so you're not experiencing lockups? what firmware version are you on?
eml

My firmware is v14. I do have the lockups, but they are fixable by pressing the disk #. Sometimes, not always, I start the car, with the USB card inserted and left in the port, the radio is in CD changer mode and nothing plays. What works I found out, if I press Disk 1, 2 or any other one, except for the one that's displayed, but not playing, it jumpstarts the system without turning the ignition off and on again. If I left it on folder 10 and want it to continue, that's an inconvenience, going from disk 6 and pressing scan, forward several times. Last listening position in that folder is also lost.
I also have one subfolder that doesn't play, I don't know why. Maybe the files are somehow corrupted.

I didn't spend enough time yet fiddling with it, so don't take some of my positive responses as a full approval. I was only happy to find out that the GROM's suggested naming of folders and organizing them improved the playability, then the scan button was pretty helpful too, 10 folders another good thing, comparing to cd changer. I think the adapter is still quirky, and GROM needs to fix the lockup/instability issues, but for now it is probably the only adapter on the market that plays mp3s directly from USB card on my car's stock radio.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:52 PM   #91
ZZen330

I haven't really had any freezing issues with USB. When I start the car with a stick in there and already in cd changer mode I just hit one of the disc buttons (even the same one it was on) and it starts playing from the remembered position.

I'm on version 16. It seems to work quite good ONLY FOR USB usage so far. Other then it glitces out the climate control AC sometimes (weirdness). If you only want it for USB mode then go for it.

Oh yeah, I don't think anyone has mentioned that for text display it only shows the first 11 characters( or spaces) then cuts off the rest with no scrolling, and it seems picky for id tags. It shows the stuff I've ripped ok, but my friends get a lot of "COLDPL->1" (for COLDPLAY, don't laugh please, not my choice, haha), then "COLDPL->2" just as a static text, no other tags for those songs.

Changing modes to AUX is still virtually useless. Haven't seen a fix for that yet.

I'm getting to like the USB stick feature, but maybe that's because I haven't been able to use AUX properly so haven't been using it.

Trying to decide if I should RMA it and get some other solution for AUX only or hang onto some hope that this 'all in one" solution will work.

Last edited by ZZen330; 08-31-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:28 AM   #92
eml

just saw v19 on the GROM website. however, my unit is still dead. last email exchange with support was 29th of august and still no reply. from the 2-day turn-around time, it's now going to more than 5 days.

anyway, will try to revive the unit this weekend and see how it goes.

i actually asked for an RMA already (that was the last part of my last email and also requested separately via the website) but no feedback since.

by design, this is superior to any iPod device but unless they fix either or both support and the product, this could be a total disappointment.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #93
ZZen330

Yes version 19 did fix the mode changing issues. I can now change to AUX-USB with no problems. It also remembers what mode it was last in when turning the car off then on.

It does cause occasional glitches with the AC though for some reason. That is annoying.

I was almost ready to RMA but I think I'll keep it for now.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #94
kgtg

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
Yes version 19 did fix the mode changing issues. I can now change to AUX-USB with no problems. It also remembers what mode it was last in when turning the car off then on.

It does cause occasional glitches with the AC though for some reason. That is annoying.

I was almost ready to RMA but I think I'll keep it for now.
After reading here, i ordered and tried to install the GROM today in my dash.
Everything went well, when i connected everything up, switched on car, with usb stick (with the correct folder structure as per their insert in their package),

1) i have absolutely NO AUDIO at all. There is some crackling noise.

I unplugged and checked the 10 pin audio cable, made sure it was in the right orientation (yellow up), made sure it was a snug fit.

Retried, with identical results.

What does work is the radio display shows me song name, artist name and album name, i can skip tracks through the radio buttons as well as steering buttons. But NO SOUND...!

2) And another problem. Packrat mentioned that his unit turns off the usb stick (light goes off) after a bit after the ignition is turned off.
Well, mine doesn't !!! does this mean it is sucking juice constantly?
Although, my radar detector plugged into the cigarette lighter is the same way. I am concerned adding another device constantly sucking juice and one day, I am going to wake up with a dead battery in the morning..

Any help would be appreciated. I will ask Grom as well, but just wondering if any of you might have any insight?

Will try the aux input tomorrow.

Thanks
KG
My car is 04 330i ZHP.
kgtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:40 AM   #95
ZZen330

kgtg - I'm not sure why you're getting no audio at all. Assuming you've triple checked the wiring connections and the splices/taps you did were solid it's hard to say. Try the aux input to see if you get audio through there. As I mentioned only with the new version 19 software can I now easily switch modes from USB to AUX and back to USB etc.

About the USB stick light issue...at first I thought mine didn't go off, but it actually does. I think it takes awhile though. I haven't timed it but I think the car keeps powerto the radio for 10-15 minutes after you've turned the ignition off, then after another 2 minutes or so the USB stick should go off. I'm guessing on the timing. What I did to verify was left the USB stick plugged in (I installed a USB port in the ashtray), with the light visible from outside the car (left ashtray door open), closed and locked the car. Walked away. Later in the day when I returned, befroe I unlocked the car or touched theremote, I looked through the window and did see that th USB stick light was off. As soon as I used the remote to unlock the car, the stick lit up.

I use the trunk connection by the way.

I do have engine/alternator whine when using the AUX audio in currently, that I'm hoping to solve with a 3.5mm ground loop isolator put into the audio cable. If that doesn't do it I'll try a 10 or 12 amp power lead noise filter put inbetween the fuse and the accessory power socket that powers the Kensington Liquid Aux (which charges my iPhone and is the source for the AUX audio).

Hope that helps.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #96
soko

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtg View Post
1) i have absolutely NO AUDIO at all. There is some crackling noise.

I unplugged and checked the 10 pin audio cable, made sure it was in the right orientation (yellow up), made sure it was a snug fit.

Retried, with identical results.

What does work is the radio display shows me song name, artist name and album name, i can skip tracks through the radio buttons as well as steering buttons. But NO SOUND...!
kgtg

it looks like you have similar symptoms I had. My audio cable was misaligned. Have a look again and make sure itís plugged in correctly. Itís easy to insert it just one row higher.
Your power/data cable connections should be OK, since radio displays all the songs info.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #97
kgtg

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP
question/clarification

Quote:
kgtg

it looks like you have similar symptoms I had. My audio cable was misaligned. Have a look again and make sure itís plugged in correctly. Itís easy to insert it just one row higher.
Your power/data cable connections should be OK, since radio displays all the songs info.
just something that occurred to me, probably not the issue, but at this point, i just want to have some other brains verify this.
So my plug at the back of the radio looks like this: (scroll halfway down for the pinout) http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=610766
So in mine, there is already an existing audio pin connected to B.
So i was/am plugging in the 10 pin audio cable for the grom unit into the A input. Is this what you all are doing as well?
I assume that if removed my existing audio cable from B and connected the audio from GROM to B, i wouldn't get any sound from the CD or radio correct?

KG
kgtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:03 AM   #98
ZZen330

kgtg -

do you have Navigation? No right? You just have business cd think?

Well, accoding to the pinout diagrom you linked, socket B is for OEM AUX input, and socket A is for the CD changer wiring.

Since the Grom unit emulates a cd changer (replaces CD changer connections which youd have to unplug), I'm assuming it has to be plugged into where the cd changer connection goes ---> socket A.

You said that is where you put it.

I'm not sure what is plugged into your socket B though. Do you have an OEM Aux connected? Is that what is plugged into B?

make sure it's plugged correctly into A as soko said it's easy to get it misaligned. Or maybe try it into B (maybe your cd changer connection is actually into B?).

If none of that works, then perhaps either your radio harness cable from GROM is defective or the GROM unit itself might be defective.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #99
packrat555

it does draw power all the time just like the radio it needs a little to save the memory.

I had a lockup this week just like in the past where if you turn off the radio you can't switch it back on until you stop and turn off the car. This occurred after running several weeks with no problems except for the occasional air conditioning glitch. But what was unique is I was playing tracks from a different usb stick I seldom use that I think may have had messed up id3 tags where it displays garbage characters on the radio. I am strongly suspecting it is the id3 tag that is causing the lockup problems.

If you are experiencing lockups I suggest you try getting an editor and deleting the v3 tag or maybe even delete both v1 and v2 id3 tag and run like that for a while and see if it makes a difference.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #100
MojoJoe

My Ride: leaks fluids
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtg View Post
just something that occurred to me, probably not the issue, but at this point, i just want to have some other brains verify this.
So my plug at the back of the radio looks like this: (scroll halfway down for the pinout) http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=610766
So in mine, there is already an existing audio pin connected to B.
So i was/am plugging in the 10 pin audio cable for the grom unit into the A input. Is this what you all are doing as well?
I assume that if removed my existing audio cable from B and connected the audio from GROM to B, i wouldn't get any sound from the CD or radio correct?

KG
The one that was already connected was your cd changers audio output's. You need to remove this and put the grom's one in its place yellow wire up. This will not affect the in-unit cd or radio.
MojoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interface, usb