E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #41
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by etidd01 View Post
Great write up! Really make me want to go fill up my wine cache.
dooooooo itttttttttt

honestly, if you have a decent liquor store that you frequent, gimme their website and i can suggest a few wines, providing they list them online
Old 05-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #42
theribdoctor

Location: ze south floriduh close to the mouth of the rat Status: I am creepy /// fact: I was the ska king, and no, you can't call me that, well except maybe the chad and Dave
My Ride: MB W204
Send a message via AIM to theribdoctor
when I go back to Italy in a couple years, I'll have another case shipped back...
Old 05-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #43
JJR4884

nero d'avola > *

Old 05-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #44
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
cheap california wines don't do it for me. Instead I prefer South Australian Shiraz. Yellow Tail is one of the better brands IMO.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT

Last edited by SeanC; 05-29-2009 at 01:07 PM.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #45
FlasHGordoN

My Ride: a car
hey why is that sometimes people let wine lay horizontally?
Old 05-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #46
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by cngzsn View Post
cheap california wines don't do it for me. Instead I prefer South Australian Shiraz. Yellow Tail is one of the better brands IMO.

most aussie wines shipped here are too sweet for me

i had a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad morning because of yellowtail chardonnay before

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlasHGordoN View Post
hey why is that sometimes people let wine lay horizontally?
keeps the cork moist
if the cork dries out, your wine will be "corked" and basically be vinegar because you are allowing it to oxidize
Old 06-01-2009, 02:46 AM   #47
FlasHGordoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
keeps the cork moist
if the cork dries out, your wine will be "corked" and basically be vinegar because you are allowing it to oxidize
so if the cork is moist it will absorb the air in the bottle instead of the wine?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:07 AM   #48
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlasHGordoN View Post
so if the cork is moist it will absorb the air in the bottle instead of the wine?
no if the cork is kept moist, it won't dry out
when the cork dries out it lets air in the bottle
Old 06-01-2009, 10:35 AM   #49
FlasHGordoN

Quote:
no if the cork is kept moist, it won't dry out
when the cork dries out it lets air in the bottle
ooohhh............ thanks man! love you~
Old 06-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #50
JJR4884

no prob
Old 06-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #51
djtroll

My Ride: X5
What are your suggestions for Chardonnay? Under $10, $10-$30, and $30 and up.

thanks,
djt
djtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:35 AM   #52
davide330

My Ride: 10 ISF
Quote:
keeps the cork moist
Corked usually relates to TCA spoilage of wine. If the cork is comprimised and there is an ingress of oxygen we usually say it's oxidized.

Putting the bottle on it's side helps the inside of the cork, the humidity of the environment the bottle is kept in also plays a big part on keeping the outside of the cork in good condition. Anything below 50% will see the cork drying out over a few years. Ideally the cellar/wine fridge/cupboard should be kept above 60% humidity. You should buy a hygrometer as part of your wine storage plans.

Sig by Jase3d at www.jase3d.com
davide330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:35 AM   #53
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Nice time spent writing this up for people. Good job.
I passed my CMS Level 1 test back in '04.

Most established restaurants will decant a bottle for the reason mentioned aboved for "aeration". Meaning the decanter vessel has a removable mesh filter spout(glass or metal) that lays/sprays the wine along the walls of the decanter to give it more surface to air (and not aggitate the delicate wine) as it is poured in.

Opening a bottle and letting it "breathe" in the bottle or glass is not the same thing but similar concept. (The classic way of decanting a bottle can be done with candle light turning the bottle but no need to get into that.)

So for those reading, if you go to a restaurant don't just ask for it to be "decanted" thinking it means to let it breathe. If you ask to get it decanted you'll get the whole show and some wines don't really "need" it. Another tip for those dinning out and ordering bottles. If you know you are going to have a "big red" with your entree' go ahead and have it opened and left to breathe during your first courses. Start with something else before.

A tip for any novice thinking of buying a wine decanter. Understand that to get the wine out with a style like this, you have to turn the decanter almost completely upside down for the last 1/4. So be careful not to splash yourself or girlfriend trying to look stylish. I have three different decanters and aerators for friends and parties. I see it happen all the time on some of the designs.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #54
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Nice time spent writing this up for people. Good job.
I passed my CMS Level 1 test back in '04.

Most established restaurants will decant a bottle for the reason mentioned aboved for "aeration". Meaning the decanter vessel has a removable mesh filter spout(glass or metal) that lays/sprays the wine along the walls of the decanter to give it more surface to air (and not aggitate the delicate wine) as it is poured in.

Opening a bottle and letting it "breathe" in the bottle or glass is not the same thing but similar concept. (The classic way of decanting a bottle can be done with candle light turning the bottle but no need to get into that.)

So for those reading, if you go to a restaurant don't just ask for it to be "decanted" thinking it means to let it breathe. If you ask to get it decanted you'll get the whole show and some wines don't really "need" it. Another tip for those dinning out and ordering bottles. If you know you are going to have a "big red" with your entree' go ahead and have it opened and left to breathe during your first courses. Start with something else before.

A tip for any novice thinking of buying a wine decanter. Understand that to get the wine out with a style like this, you have to turn the decanter almost completely upside down for the last 1/4. So be careful not to splash yourself or girlfriend trying to look stylish. I have three different decanters and aerators for friends and parties. I see it happen all the time on some of the designs.
good advice alex
thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #55
ProchaineStation

My Ride: Metro, Bus, Bike
Send a message via MSN to ProchaineStation
Quote:
Originally Posted by cngzsn View Post

my family likes that one

Montreal, world transit & infrastructure enthusiast.
www.youtube.com/AntoDamicoShow
ProchaineStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #56
JJR4884

no comment on yellow tail

(too sweet for my pallet)
Old 06-10-2009, 05:16 AM   #57
davide330

My Ride: 10 ISF
Yellowtail = McDonald's of wine. Always tastes the same no matter what year.

100 1.1 million-liter, temperature-controlled tanks and an army of smaller, quarter-million liter tanks, to the two high-speed bottling lines that fill, seal and label a staggering 60,000 bottles an hour.

Lots of terroir here

Sig by Jase3d at www.jase3d.com
davide330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #58
JJR4884

thank you for that info.... hopefully we can get some fanatics into local small cheap vineyards rather than that cool commercialized bullsh*t

blah
Old 06-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #59
djtroll

My Ride: X5
Quote:
thank you for that info.... hopefully we can get some fanatics into local small cheap vineyards rather than that cool commercialized bullsh*t

blah
Just stopped by a small wine shop in Livermore and tasted some local to me stuff...was surprised that John Madden has a winery and I actually enjoyed it (2006 Madden Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon). Would go great with a nice steak.

-djt
djtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:25 PM   #60
JJR4884

haha no sh*t... never knew he had a wine

i'll be sure to throw it as far as possible if i ever come across one because i fvcking hate him that annoying prick

but that would be fun to try... however experience has taught me that any "celebrity" wine (no offense) is usually bottom of the barrel wine that is more of a collector's wine (if that) than a wine to actually drink, rate, and enjoy.... i.e. the "i love lucy" and "marilyn monroe" wines

but the fact that he has his own winery intrigues me a bit more, since its not just a bottle of wine with a celeb's picture on it

i'll try it out if i ever come across it, thanks