E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #121
Sam 330ci

My Ride: 03 530i
Send a message via AIM to Sam 330ci
Thanks for the post. I tried the Line 39 last night -

I will keep an eye out for those you mentioned above.

Also, I am killing about 3/4 bottle myself when drinking these. Is that normal? (Serious question)
Old 09-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #122
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
LOL

You're doing great champ, keep it up

Yes its normal, you should be finishing each bottle
Old 09-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #123
Sam 330ci

Okay, don't want to turn into an Alcoholic or something.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #124
Sam 330ci

Today is National Cabernet Day
Old 09-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #125
JJR4884

well in that case
Old 09-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #126
Bartacus

My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
Russo: curious as to your opinion. Tried a Zinfandel from Sonoma CA recently called Cline (2009). Tried this one? It's really cheap up here in Canada, $12.95 a bottle, but it's a HELLUVA wine for the price, albeit pretty stiff (14%). I love my cabs and I'm hooked on this stuff. Just curious to see what the wine god thinks.
Bartacus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #127
Sam 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
J. Lohr is good... however you should definitely find it for cheaper... even down here i pay $15-$16 for it. As for solid $17ish cabs, keep an eye out for the following in addition to the J. Lohr.

Alexander Valley Vineyards
Clos du Bois Alexander Valley
Rodney Strong
St. Francis
Chateau St. Michelle Indian Wells
St. Jean

When you can find them on sale, Simi and Franciscan will be low $20's, well worth it.

Markham Merlot is around $21, another phenomenal bottle. Cab is $28ish.

Hmmmm let see.... The cheapest bottle I can think of that literally washes down like a $100 bottle, Hanna Cabernet. Should cost between $29 and $32. Alexander Valley of course
Appreciate all the advice here. Was able to find a lot of the ones listed but upwards of $30. Went with my ole faithful:

$20 for 3 liters can't be beat, and it tastes

I will keep your suggestions in mind for special occasions, but at the rate I'm suckin this down I can't afford a $30 bottle every night!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #128
JJR4884

Nice Sam

When you want a treat, definitely try out that Hanna or the Markham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Russo: curious as to your opinion. Tried a Zinfandel from Sonoma CA recently called Cline (2009). Tried this one? It's really cheap up here in Canada, $12.95 a bottle, but it's a HELLUVA wine for the price, albeit pretty stiff (14%). I love my cabs and I'm hooked on this stuff. Just curious to see what the wine god thinks.
I actually haven't had it yet but i'll definitely look out for it. When i'm in a Zin mood, I typically go with either a Malbec, Bordeaux, or a Chateaunufe du' Pape.. idk why but i was never crazy about Zins...
Old 09-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #129
Bartacus

Quote:
I actually haven't had it yet but i'll definitely look out for it. When i'm in a Zin mood, I typically go with either a Malbec, Bordeaux, or a Chateaunufe du' Pape.. idk why but i was never crazy about Zins...
This is the first Zin I've tried, but I've been told Zins are usually lighter wines. This is much more cab related than a lighter Rosť-type thing. I don't think it's your average Zin, but I know nothing about what a typical Zin tastes like.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #130
JJR4884

Quote:
This is the first Zin I've tried, but I've been told Zins are usually lighter wines. This is much more cab related than a lighter Rosť-type thing. I don't think it's your average Zin, but I know nothing about what a typical Zin tastes like.
lighter??? not in my experience.. typically red zins are pretty damn heavy... heavier than cabernet in my opinion just because they have so much more of an earthy/musky note to them that i'm not a huge fan of

from lighter to heavier, typically you'll see reds go in this order

beaujolais
pinot noir
merlot
chianti
malbec
cabernet
zin
petite syrah

IMO
Old 09-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #131
Bartacus

Cool, didn't know that. I was going by what the dude at the liquor store told me. Obviously not being you, he didn't know ****. In that case, you probably won't like Cline at all.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:15 AM   #132
JJR4884

lol thanks..... i'm open to try anything bud, as long as it is good, i could care less if it cost $5 or $40
Old 11-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #133
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
I tasted some pretty fantastic Spanish wines today, never knew what Spain had to offer! (I'm taking a Wines class)

I think it might be good to start a little list of what we like and notes on them...I'll start with the ones that I liked from today

White wine (Spain):
Fillaboa, D.O. Rias Baixas, 2010
Albarino
Color: Straw yellow color with a tinge of green
Smell: Very fruit forward with peaches/apricot notes and some floral notes
Taste: Again, peaches/apricot, fruit forward, very crisp and refreshing, some jasmine aromas to it as well. Delicious especially if you like crisp wines, would go extremely well with seafood

Reds (Spain):
Rioja, Crianza, El Coto, D.O.C Rioja, 2007
Tempranillo
Sight: ruby red, somewhat opaque
Smell: Red/black cherry,leathery, some oak influence
Taste: soft & sweet tannins, cherry notes, some leather character, medium bodied

Vall Llach, Embruix, D.O.C. Priorat, 2007
Blend
Sight: Dark red/purple, opaque
Smell: extremely concentrated flavors, rich black fruit, spice
Taste: full bodied with good balance of acidity and tannins, not too hot, and concentrated black fruit flavors with some spice

Carchelo, D.O. Jumilla (location), 2010
Monastrell, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon blend
Sight: dark red
Smell: simple, plums, blackberries, some cloves
Taste: extremely round and well balanced, plums, would go well with a wide variety of dishes

Red (Italian):
Poggio Al Tufo, Tomassi, Rompicollo, Maremma Toscana, 2009
Sangiovese/Cabernet Sauvignon blend
Sight: Dk red/purple, fairly opaque
Smell: rich black cherry, some bell pepper.
Taste: Round on the palette, crisp acidity, surprising considering it's 40% Cab Sauv, light spice/smoke aroma, cherry/blackberry notes, mid-full bodied, long finish
Other notes: Characteristics become a lot more cabernet-like (bell pepper, earthy aroma) after sitting in a wine glass for ~30-45min, but it does not get too hot

These wines are all under $20/bottle with the exception of the Embruix which is around $35/bottle, I think. My favorites out of the ones I listed are the Vall Llach, the Carchello, and the Poggio Al Tufo Rompicollo.

Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 11-03-2011 at 12:48 PM.
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #134
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
I also noticed one of my favorite white wine varieties isn't in this thread...Riesling. It has a great fruit forward taste/aroma with strong notes of apples and citrus in the young vintages and more rich notes of honey in the older vintages. Depending on where it's grown and how it's grown you can also get some mineral notes, and most rieslings are fairly refreshing and crisp. Great for warm weather drinking.

Alsace region of France, Germany, and NY State put out some fantastic Rieslings
Old 11-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #135
JJR4884

If you are impressed by spanish wines, i highly suggest you try to get some wines from Ribero del Duero. Protos Crianza and Protos Reserva is just simply amazing. $24 and $45ish, respectively. www.winechateau.com if you can't find it, however I know for a fact there are NY distributors that have it, so your liquor store should be able to order a bottle if they don't have it in stock
Old 11-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #136
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Let me help you out

I've visited cline vineyards several times.

Great place and great wines. Did you try their old vine zin?

Zins are awesome. They have a little spice and honestly as a long time wine drinker I enjoy them the most.

Not sure if this was said but u don't need to spend a lot of money for wine.

It's okay to save your wine for up to 3 days.

Dont be a snob drinking either. If you enjoy it that's good enough.

Btw why is the op acting like a pro lol - some of us are fortunate enough to go wine tasting in our backyard - napa, Sonoma, Lodi, apple hill, etc

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #137
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
If you are impressed by spanish wines, i highly suggest you try to get some wines from Ribero del Duero. Protos Crianza and Protos Reserva is just simply amazing. $24 and $45ish, respectively. www.winechateau.com if you can't find it, however I know for a fact there are NY distributors that have it, so your liquor store should be able to order a bottle if they don't have it in stock
Bah! U don't need to spend that much ..

Why are u telling people to spend that much.

Blind test will say a lot. Those are fun to do with friends.

Guys I highly recommend you try an argentina wine - malbecs

It's not too fruit fwd - it has some spice and it's enjoyable with meals.

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #138
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
Bah! U don't need to spend that much ..

Why are u telling people to spend that much.

Blind test will say a lot. Those are fun to do with friends.

Guys I highly recommend you try an argentina wine - malbecs

It's not too fruit fwd - it has some spice and it's enjoyable with meals.
i'm saying it based on experience my friend... protos wines are amazing... i didn't say they had to as well, it was a suggestion, however I will say that they must try some wines from Ribero del Duero. I have yet to have a wine from there that isn't amazing.

Also... Malbecs. Meh... they are decent but I'm not crazy about them the way I was 5 years ago when they were selling awesome wines for $10 a pop. A lot of malbecs are expensive now due to their market share. Everyone hopped up on them, and now they are double.

Aqua di Piedro comes to mind... The best $8 bottle I have ever experienced.... unfortunately it goes for $14ish now, and that was withing 2 years.... amazing malbec, and even for $14 it is still good, but wtf ya know
Old 11-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #139
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
Btw why is the op acting like a pro lol - some of us are fortunate enough to go wine tasting in our backyard - napa, Sonoma, Lodi, apple hill, etc
Acting like a pro? I know enough to get people started on the right track.... I'm no wine snob in the least bit. Now shut your mouth before I put something in it
Old 12-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #140
Bartacus

To add something positive to this thread, I just tried a new Merlot. Now usually for me:

Merlot is usually 12 - 12.5% alcohol. Me being an alcoholic, this is unacceptable (see movie clip above). However, our local LCBO's "pick of the week" was a Merlot, but this one is 14.3%. It's an Argentinian wine called La Linda. Here in Ontario, Canada, it's $12.95 a bottle (read: fairly cheap). Not bad at all. Plus, at the end of the bottle, I'm having trouble typing. This is good: