E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 02:31 AM   #21
RGO325CiC

My Ride: '01 325Ci 'Vert
- Sorry for the bad spelling. Busy day here!

- Steel Grey Met; Tanin Red leather; Myrtle trim; etc.
RGO325CiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:32 AM   #22
jessief29812

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330xi
Be safe.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #23
SpookyChief

My Ride: '07 335i
Thanks for the info RGO, yeah i am NOT looking forward to that weather.

I may or may not see you there.

SpookyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #24
Bimmer^Hue

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to Bimmer^Hue Send a message via AIM to Bimmer^Hue Send a message via MSN to Bimmer^Hue Send a message via Yahoo to Bimmer^Hue Send a message via Skype™ to Bimmer^Hue
You should be good. Left my car in the garage for a year. Started up just fine first try. ITs been a year since then ZERO problems

2002 BMW 330i Titanium Silver Metallic | Gray Dakota Leather | 5-Speed | /// Sport, Winter and Premium Package
Bimmer^Hue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #25
The Jerk

My Ride: E46 M3
Six months should not kill a healthy car!!!

Fill up the tank (so there is no room for condensation to form), and disconnect the battery.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #26
currbear29

My Ride: 2002 325 xi
i dont have any advice for you, but to all of the fanatics in the service be safe and thank you.
currbear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #27
elteegilbreath

My Ride: 04 325Ci
Best of luck over there dude! Stay safe and God bless you for your service to this country! We appreciate you guys.

"Walking isn't a lost art - one must, by some means, get to the garage."
elteegilbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #28
woopaul5

My Ride: 2005 M3
Send a message via AIM to woopaul5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyChief View Post
Well its finally my turn to go to the desert, so i'll be out of the states for anywhere from 3 to 5 months. I'm leaving my car in my garage when I'm gone, and I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions on anything I need to do so that it's in the same working order as when I leave. My girlfriend will have access to it, so I'm going to have her take it out every 2 weeks or so and drive it around the parking lot.

I know its not that long, but when my brother got back after 6ish months his truck was in pretty bad shape (battery, fuel pump). So if you guys have any suggestions let me know. Thanks!

Well the last 3 deployments I just let it sit. I didn't have any problems at all. I just made sure to put air in the tires when I came back. If your battery is fairly new it should be fine but then again this is just my experiences. Well see you in BAG. I'll be there in July but I'll be on the EC side. Take care and be safe.
woopaul5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:48 PM   #29
rowdy lee

My Ride: 2000 323ci
OK. Let's sum it up

Between RGO and CharlesBerry, you got some ok advice.

NO battery CHARGERS. A battery MAINTAINER is what you must use. (sorry for shouting) A maintainer supplies a tiny current. It won't fry the battery. It can be left on indefinately. If your battery is not a sealed type, check the acid level and top up with distilled water only, as necessary. Disconnecting is good but I wouldn't want an amateur messing with it at all. (sorry, amateurs and girlfriends).

IF it's going to be driven, drive for a day (like someone said) or: until the oil is HOT and then, put 25 miles on it. We're charging the battery as well as
driving condensation out of the hot oil. A full tank is good. Use Sta-Bil if you're not driving it as well as if you are. It's not practical to fill one gallon of fuel per week. Sta-Bil will keep it healthy.
When you return, a bottle of bmw fuel system cleaner will be good for the tank-level sensors and injectors.

Driving weekly is good but if your battery is weak, two weeks sitting may do it in.... as in, dead.

You can jack it if you want to but pressurizing tires, like someone said, is good too. If driven, no problems with tires except to check pressures monthly.

Do you have mice in your garage? Park on soda can six-pack cardboard trays and sprinkle mothballs in the trays. That keeps mice away. Replenish mothballs as necessary as they dissipate/evaporate. Set out traps also. (sorry, all you Buddhists)

Bats in the garage? Prolly won't want to leave windows opened...

Cats in the garage? May want to cover it with a sheet or car cover, packing blankets, etc.

Park it in gear rather than leaving the parking brake engaged.

Lock it up well if no eyes are on it for extended periods.

Just trying to bring it all together here.
When advice is needed, it's best to have good advice but it can be hard to tell what is actually good, eh?

You can be proud of your service as this is the LAST f**kin' war we need. Period! Soon, people may actually come to value life.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #30
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGO325CiC View Post
Chief-
Pack for hot weather; we hit 107 in Balad today.

Fill your yank, andf use Sta-bil. I've done this on my earlier deployments, the longest of which was 12 months. If someone won't run the motor, disconnect the battery, and if you have time, pull the plugs and shoot some WD-40 into each cylinder bore. I also spray WD-40 on all exposed metal in the engine compartment. I open the windows about an inch or so (I always store in my garage), and cover the car. Make sure your tires are inflated properly; I usually inflate to max pressure. I never had any flat-spot problems, but am replacing the set after this trip. I wash, wax, and vacuum before she's dry-docked, and that's about it. When I get home, I change oil and filter, and otherwise replace anti-freeze and brake fluid about every 2 years.

Nice thing about deployments--my 8 yr old car only has 4 years of use, and even the leather still smells nice!

That is spot on advise!!!
Full tank is the key due to condensation issues with low fuel levels, Fill the tires to max on the sidewall and install a battery tender

GL over there Stay Safe my Brother is getting deployed in Jan.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Last edited by jbeurotech; 05-21-2009 at 04:45 PM.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #31
TC01

My Ride: 330CI
Don't think so then but who knows. Might see you there. I'll be over for about 4 months. Good luck.
Quote:
I'm not sure, I'm in AMXS, working on the gunships.

Thanks for all your support fellas, its greatly appreciated especially since it's my first time there. I'm sure i'll be surfing the pages of this site the majority of my trip.
TC01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #32
SpookyChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopaul5 View Post
Well the last 3 deployments I just let it sit. I didn't have any problems at all. I just made sure to put air in the tires when I came back. If your battery is fairly new it should be fine but then again this is just my experiences. Well see you in BAG. I'll be there in July but I'll be on the EC side. Take care and be safe.
what shop do you work in?

Old 05-22-2009, 01:56 AM   #33
woopaul5

My Ride: 2005 M3
Send a message via AIM to woopaul5
Quote:
what shop do you work in?
I'm Hydraulics. I used to work slicks before I got to DM so I'm kinda a human slave to the C-130 world. I leave in July. I will be working outta the clamshell by the slick C-130's and shinooks. Stop by if you remember. I'll prob stop by the AC and MC area every now and then for parts or just to lend a helping hand. The Hydro world is pretty boring.
woopaul5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:51 AM   #34
TiG3rBa7m

My Ride: looking
im on my way home for r and r....
TiG3rBa7m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:07 AM   #35
SHOF

My Ride: has a turbo
If you love your car at all, don't let the GF drive it
Old 05-22-2009, 03:38 AM   #36
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Battery tenderer is a must.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:35 AM   #37
AdamBath

My Ride: E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico3k View Post
Either have a friend/family member start your car once every 2 weeks, or just leave the battery unplugged and hope for the best. After getting a bike and letting the E46 sit for 3 weeks, it had a bad rough idle for a minute before smoothing out.
Sounds like you have some other issue thats not always prevalent. I've had my car sitting since August, and I started it for the first time about 1 month ago, and it ran flawlessly for over an hour. Granted, the battery is toast, otherwise, no issues.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #38
spatimouth01

My Ride: 2003 325I
When I was in the USAF 4 1/2 yrs ago (KC-135 Jet Mechanic GFAFB) and I'd get sent to the great sand pit of the world. I'd just let my car sit in the parking lot. Figured parking it for 3-4 months wouldn't hurt it much. When I'd get back either the battery would be dead or it would idle roughly for a couple of minutes. Eventually it would smooth out. I'd have someone start it up every so often.

Last edited by spatimouth01; 05-22-2009 at 10:39 AM.
spatimouth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #39
SpookyChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopaul5 View Post
I'm Hydraulics. I used to work slicks before I got to DM so I'm kinda a human slave to the C-130 world. I leave in July. I will be working outta the clamshell by the slick C-130's and shinooks. Stop by if you remember. I'll prob stop by the AC and MC area every now and then for parts or just to lend a helping hand. The Hydro world is pretty boring.
Thats cool man, maybe i'll see you around. A few of your crew chiefs were in my tech school class, Devlin and Schwaderer (and Gomez but he works ISO)...i don't know if you know them or not.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #40
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Tell me where it's at. Lemme drive that thing around for u while I leave mine on the lemon lot on base to sell it
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote