E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2003, 09:56 AM   #1
E46phantom

My Ride: Bmw Z4
Stereo wiring

Could any of you pro's give me some advice of how to connect the power wire to the battery? also where is the best grounding point for no interferance. I also need to wire an invertor in?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
E46phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:05 PM   #2
Delirium
yo mama

My Ride: -
Cant you ground your amps to the ground terminal of the battery? thats what my stereo store did...
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 12:33 PM   #3
fabulus323

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally posted by Delirium
Cant you ground your amps to the ground terminal of the battery? thats what my stereo store did...
You can, but if your amps are located on the drivers side of the car you wouldn't want to run the ground wire to the other side of the car. You can ground you amps to any grounded metal surface in the car. Just make sure that you sand away the paint so that you get metal to metal.

Depending on how many amps you are planning on installing (now and in the future) depends on how to connect to the battery.

If you are only going to install one amp (in some cases 2 just split the wire in two not recomended) in the car, you can get a a ring and crimp it to a fused 4 gauge wire. and connect it directly to the possitive battery post.

If you plan on installing 2 or more amps I would attach a 1 ga. wire to the battery and run it to a fused distribution block, and run a 4 ga. power wire to each amp from there.

If you are talking about a high to low level converter, the instructions are pretty easy. Left speaker (+ to +) & (- to -) right speaker (+ to +) & (- to -).

Good luck
McIntosh MC427
McIntosh MC427
McIntosh MC425
/////Alpine PXA H600
(3) JL Audio 8w6's
fabulus323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 12:40 PM   #4
Delirium
yo mama

My Ride: -
Gound wires have to be short, but how short is short? (Yes I know as short as possible), but how short is that? Accross the trunk is bad? So maybe each amp should have its own ground? what about a ground dist block?

Quote:
Originally posted by fabulus323

You can, but if your amps are located on the drivers side of the car you wouldn't want to run the ground wire to the other side of the car. You can ground you amps to any grounded metal surface in the car. Just make sure that you sand away the paint so that you get metal to metal.

Depending on how many amps you are planning on installing (now and in the future) depends on how to connect to the battery.

If you are only going to install one amp (in some cases 2 just split the wire in two not recomended) in the car, you can get a a ring and crimp it to a fused 4 gauge wire. and connect it directly to the possitive battery post.

If you plan on installing 2 or more amps I would attach a 1 ga. wire to the battery and run it to a fused distribution block, and run a 4 ga. power wire to each amp from there.

If you are talking about a high to low level converter, the instructions are pretty easy. Left speaker (+ to +) & (- to -) right speaker (+ to +) & (- to -).

Good luck

Last edited by Delirium; 03-05-2003 at 12:43 PM.
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 01:16 AM   #5
johnhab

My Ride: '02 330xi
Send a message via AIM to johnhab Send a message via Yahoo to johnhab
I assume you're putting the amp in trunk, and if that's the case, there is at least one factory ground block on each side of the car on the fender walls, so regardless, it's not necessary to run the ground to the battery. Also, you want to ground the amp with the other components, so you don't have a ground loop.

Yes, the ground wire should be as short as possible, but that doesn't mean 6", but it also preferable to not run a 3-4' one to the other side of the car.

Regarding connecting to the battery (+), and wiring in general, I find the amp install kits (e.g., Monster), helpful in providing all hardware necessary for a technically sound and clean-looking install.

johnhab is offline   Reply With Quote