E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
generic 330i

My Ride: 2004 330i
Stock HK AMP Bass issue

Greetings Audio wizards,
I traded in my 01 330i with the premium package that included the HK system for an 04 330i (non premium package) but had the HK system as an option. I was always satisfied with the 01 330i HK System but right when I started driving the 04 330i home I noticed that it had a complete lack of the rich bass that my 01 330i had.

I barely had to tweak the bass setting on the HU in the 01 330i to get decent bass from the subs. In the 04 330i even with the bass cranked all the way up on the HU, the bass just seems to be missing from the dual subs. Does the mini sub amp power both rear sub speakers? Do you think the little mini sub amp is bad or if the fuse is fried? How will I be able to tell? I noticed the little mini sub amp that attaches to the left (facing the trunk) speaker has clips on it. If I unclip that mini sub amp will I be able to tell if it is bad? Can I use a meter to test the mini sub amp?

I tried searching the forums but was unable to find any clues. Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.
generic 330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Jason@BavSound
Sponsor

My Ride: Cars/Trucks/Bikes
It is quite common for the HK subwoofers to stop working, oddly enough. I have seen this numerous times.

Two issues seem to plague the subwoofers:

1. Bad amplifier, which is mounted to the driver side subwoofer, which unfortunately can lead to

2. Blown subwoofers. Maybe the amplifier has blown them, maybe they blew on their own.

I don't know if you bought the car CPO or not, but if so, it should be covered under warranty. If not, I would suggest having an independent shop diagnose the issue and make a decision based on their findings.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
p: 678.388.9538

Jason@BavSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
If you want to know whether they even play, pop them out and touch the cone. If it moves, they work (this doesn't mean they work fine though)
Old 05-24-2009, 03:10 AM   #4
The Don

My Ride: 330i
If you want, I have the two subs/amp from my '05 330i sedan and can just send 'em to you for $30, plus shipping. I don't come on the site much anymore, so try emailing me at: dvelez at mbdlaw dot com if you're interested.
The Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
generic 330i

I was out of town this weekend so I did not get a chance to try any of the suggestions. How does the main amp work with the sub amp? Does the sub amp supply the bass for the rear speakers?

How would I know if the sub amp is bad? When I play music can I just pull the clip off of the sub amp? With the clip off if there is no difference in sound then would I know the sub amp is bad?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
generic 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
If you want, I have the two subs/amp from my '05 330i sedan and can just send 'em to you for $30, plus shipping. I don't come on the site much anymore, so try emailing me at: dvelez at mbdlaw dot com if you're interested.
Thanks for posting, I will definitely contact you when I find out the sub amp is bad.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
boxtyp3

My Ride: Hellrot
Check the wires first.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
packrat555

My Ride: 2001 325i
just put your heard against the sub itself and you'll hear if it is working or not. If not check to see if you have power to the amp. If you have power but still no sound I'd expect the amp is bad. I think it is doubtful that little amp could blow both speakers.
packrat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
generic 330i

Just wanted to give an update. After unpluging that sub amp I do hear a difference without it. There is a loss of lower end bass, and when I plug it back in the bass returns. I guess this means it is working as designed, and the design sucks bad. I wonder why my previous car 01 330i sounded better.

From a quick search there does not appear to be a simple 6x9 replacement for a sedan. The BSW sub looks like a great idea but is to cost prohibitive so I guess I will be stuck with this for awhile.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
wherman

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by generic 330i View Post
Just wanted to give an update. After unpluging that sub amp I do hear a difference without it. There is a loss of lower end bass, and when I plug it back in the bass returns. I guess this means it is working as designed, and the design sucks bad. I wonder why my previous car 01 330i sounded better.

From a quick search there does not appear to be a simple 6x9 replacement for a sedan. The BSW sub looks like a great idea but is to cost prohibitive so I guess I will be stuck with this for awhile.
You might want to check the fade and balance. If those are in the middle, then I would check the woofers in the doors to see if maybe those have gone bad.

I have an 04 with HK and my bass is not overwhelming, but isn't "missing" in any way.

How to make and wire a mute switch for a Valentine 1 Radar Detector
wherman is offline   Reply With Quote