E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #41
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Everyday!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #42
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCali View Post
I'm thinking of getting a gun, but my question to justify owning one is do I need it?
1. You don't need a reason to own a gun and you never need to justify it by asking people if it's ever saved a life...

2. Would you poll 10 people to see if a seatbelt ever had to be used and saved a life before putting it on yourself?

3. You shouldn't get caught up in anything other people think negatively about you owning a firearm. Most people, if not everyone that has an issue is just misinformed or uneducated in the matter.

Life is fragile, extremely fragile and the world is not a safe place no matter where you live, end of story.

I hope I NEVER need to use my firearm in defense, but if I do, I'm 100% prepared mentally and trained physically to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 05-22-2009 at 12:22 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #43
CRZY BMW

My Ride: has wings & a prop
^ Good advice...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=309167&stc=1&d=1238667257

CRZY BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #44
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZY BMW View Post
^ Good advice...
If someone needs to "justify" owning a firearm.... they are completely missing the point and I suggest that they do not purchase one.....yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #45
mcbishton

My Ride: 2009 Z4s35i
I guess it all depends on where you live and what your lifestyle is. I've had to use a weapon twice to scare off people but never had to fire any in anger and if I lived in any major US city I'd have a concealed carry permit. Like I said "it all depends on where you live and what your lifestyle is".

Remember one thing, once you pull the trigger, you can't get the bullet back and "sorry" doesn't cut it most times.
mcbishton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #46
CRZY BMW

My Ride: has wings & a prop
In most instances brandishing a gun is enough to stop the criminal... without even firing a shot.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=309167&stc=1&d=1238667257

CRZY BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:46 PM   #47
The Jerk

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Everyday!

Just by having the ability to protect ourselves tends to ward off attacks to begin with
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #48
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
In most instances brandishing a gun is enough to stop the criminal... without even firing a shot.
While that can be true, that should not be the plan going in

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #49
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Yes. Kinda...

Several years ago I had an apartment and a deranged man walked in on the first floor where there was a doctor's office. My apartment and 2 others were on the second and third floor. I heard a bang and a scream. I thought someone had dropped something on the first floor. I heard several more bangs and I wondered what was going on . The girl on the third floor came running downstairs and said there was a man in the house with a gun.

I grabbed my Smith and Wesson 357 revolver and wrapped it in a t shirt so it would not excite anyone and ran to my neighbors apt where the 3 of us huddled.
It was lunchtime (I was in college ) and all of us happened to be home at the same time.

The sicko had no reason to kill anyone, he was just mentally ill. 2 people were killed, 2 more were shot and he committed suicide with a pistol to his side.

I did not have to use it, but I was willing and ready if he had come upstairs with a gun. But he spared me with the trouble from his suicide.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #50
Pete330iZHP

My Ride: 2010 Nissan 370Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorWerkz View Post
Some of the time, You can just fire a warning shot to scare him shitless.
You should never pull a gun on someone unless you plan to take their life, period.

But I agree with most on this forum, owning a gun is not for everyone. I carry one at work all the time and in my car if I ever find myself driving through a shady area (I've had to go into some abandoned houses in the slums when I was selling real estate). I hope I never have to use it, but its just like a seatbelt like someone else said, you put it on just in case you need it. I was actually just talking about this with one of the captains of the local Sheriff's department and he was saying how he recommends that everyone have some sort of firearm. (Obviously talking about responsible individuals) Hope this helps some!

2003 330i ZHP 6MT SOLD!
19" Staggered VMR VB3's - H&R Sport Cup Kit
Alcantara Interior Trim - Hardwired V1 - 15% Tint
Tinted Corners, Sidemarkers, and Tail Lights
Black Kidney Grills - Corner Delete - Clutch Stop
Pete330iZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #51
The Jerk

My Ride: E46 M3
Car alarms should be illegal. I've never had to use one, so they must be pointless right?
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #52
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
if your life is not threatened, you do not pull out a gun
You must not live in Florida.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #53
E92M

My Ride: '08 ZCP M3 | '03 R6
Exclamation

Wow. Let's go down the list.

Quote:
if your life is not threatened, you do not pull out a gun
Quote:
um
the only time you should use a gun to save your life is to kill the person that is threatening your life

if your life isn't threatened, you don't use a gun..... when it is threatened, you point and shoot
So you're telling me that if a BG comes into the house and points a gun at your child or spouse- you become a negotiator ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorWerkz View Post
Some of the time, You can just fire a warning shot to scare him shitless.
Spoken like a true target. If you pull out a firearm "to fire a warning shot", you have become- in the BG's mind, as much of a threat as he is- if not larger. You have to know where you are pointing your weapon, how far the target is, what is beyond the target, the caliber bullet you're firing to avoid over-penetration, etc. You can be "firing warning shots" (such a horrible idea) and striking children, houses with families inside, cars, et al- and you're responsible for what happens. If you're going to draw, you better fvcking shoot the target!

Quote:
Read above. Draw without intent to fire, get shot, and then he takes your gun and has X # of more shots to continue his rampage with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal E46 View Post
Yep, only pull (point) your weapon if you intend to kill.
While this may be internalized, it should not be claimed. If you shoot to kill, you are essentially a murderer. The accepted vernacular is "shoot to eliminate the threat". There is a thin line between maiming someone and stopping the threat, or annihilating someone, and stopping the threat. Don't "knee cap" them, because not only is that a very hard region of your target to hit (under stress, and movement), but the BG can still fire at you. Aim for center mass or pelvis. The largest targets on the body. Once you feel the threat is eliminated, you should stop shooting. That point is up to you .

That being said, I have a friend who had an intruder break into his house, he fired a 12ga shell to the BG's chest, and called the cops. The BG got convicted of B&E, got a sh;tload of medical attention, and then SUED my friend for unnecessary use of force (or something along those lines), AND WON . So the phrase "dead men tell no tales" has its place in these debates, but you just need to know your rights.

Knowledge is [fire]power,
-Chris
Old 05-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #54
Back2Basics

My Ride: is an instigator
Back2Basics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #55
E92M

My Ride: '08 ZCP M3 | '03 R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2Basics View Post

Fixed,
-Chris

*They shot that chick in the T;TS! TWICE!*
Old 05-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #56
Back2Basics

My Ride: is an instigator
Back2Basics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #57
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K5 325i View Post
Wow. Let's go down the list.

So you're telling me that if a BG comes into the house and points a gun at your child or spouse- you become a negotiator ?

Spoken like a true target. If you pull out a firearm "to fire a warning shot", you have become- in the BG's mind, as much of a threat as he is- if not larger. You have to know where you are pointing your weapon, how far the target is, what is beyond the target, the caliber bullet you're firing to avoid over-penetration, etc. You can be "firing warning shots" (such a horrible idea) and striking children, houses with families inside, cars, et al- and you're responsible for what happens. If you're going to draw, you better fvcking shoot the target!

Read above. Draw without intent to fire, get shot, and then he takes your gun and has X # of more shots to continue his rampage with.

While this may be internalized, it should not be claimed. If you shoot to kill, you are essentially a murderer. The accepted vernacular is "shoot to eliminate the threat". There is a thin line between maiming someone and stopping the threat, or annihilating someone, and stopping the threat. Don't "knee cap" them, because not only is that a very hard region of your target to hit (under stress, and movement), but the BG can still fire at you. Aim for center mass or pelvis. The largest targets on the body. Once you feel the threat is eliminated, you should stop shooting. That point is up to you .

That being said, I have a friend who had an intruder break into his house, he fired a 12ga shell to the BG's chest, and called the cops. The BG got convicted of B&E, got a sh;tload of medical attention, and then SUED my friend for unnecessary use of force (or something along those lines), AND WON . So the phrase "dead men tell no tales" has its place in these debates, but you just need to know your rights.

Knowledge is [fire]power,
-Chris
Your friend needs to move to a better state.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #58
Evidence

My Ride: sold
Send a message via AIM to Evidence
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
1. You don't need a reason to own a gun and you never need to justify it by asking people if it's ever saved a life...

2. Would you poll 10 people to see if a seatbelt ever had to be used and saved a life before putting it on yourself?

3. You shouldn't get caught up in anything other people think negatively about you owning a firearm. Most people, if not everyone that has an issue is just misinformed or uneducated in the matter.

Life is fragile, extremely fragile and the world is not a safe place no matter where you live, end of story.

I hope I NEVER need to use my firearm in defense, but if I do, I'm 100% prepared mentally and trained physically to do so.
you really gotta stop using that seatbelt stat as part of your gun debate

guns and seatbelt are way different

just saying
Evidence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #59
ZimZimma328Ci

My Ride: Mopar
Send a message via AIM to ZimZimma328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Car alarms should be illegal. I've never had to use one, so they must be pointless right?
They pretty much are. They are annoying and nobody pays them any attention. Plus...are you going to get in the way of a robber breaking into someone's car?
Old 05-22-2009, 07:04 PM   #60
R3IGNman

My Ride: it depends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence View Post
you really gotta stop using that seatbelt stat as part of your gun debate

guns and seatbelt are way different

just saying
lol