E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #21
Vinnie Vega

My Ride: 0032870Vette70Velle
Mobile 1 0w-40 you say? hmm, I use the 5w 30, is it thicker then bmw's 5w30? should i be using 0w-40?
Vinnie Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #22
LI_BIMMER

My Ride: 2000 - i, 2003 X5
Nice to hear it went well. I have purchased all my Vanos replacement parts and will doing this on Tuesday. I will also post a picture of how the internals look (I hope good on 5w-30, 7.5k oil change intervals).......
Old 05-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #23
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vminev View Post
I used to work at a BMW dealership, and a lot of people would not change their oil for like 30-40k and then trade the car in.
You have no idea how many ignorant people there are.........
You mean like this guy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
Going by the content of this document, I will have to revise my OCI up from 30k to 45k. My previously estimated 39k miles total oil life was obviously too pessimistic. I should have shown greater confidence in BMW and Castrol engineering and the safety margin they would have put in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
Since the CPO is good at 44.9999k, that clearly suggests the engine is still in excellent condition. Otherwise BMW wouldn't be doing CPO now, would they ?
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #24
330I6SPD

My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
Quote:
I used to work at a BMW dealership, and a lot of people would not change their oil for like 30-40k and then trade the car in.
A certain MB dealer in Paramus, NJ, sold a 330E to a woman who had recently passed the bar and gotten a position in a Manhattan law firm. The service notices sent to the woman to bring it in for oil changes went unanswered. Over 5 years later the car came in on a flatbed with a seazed motor and a crankcase FULL of sludge. The car had NEVER gotten even one oil change according to the owner who still tried to sue MBNA for the replacement value of her 300E. This was in the early '90s. This is why even certified pre-owned is NOT for me.
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #25
reynaldo

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to reynaldo
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinesicks View Post
I did my vanos seals today and I only had one problem.......I cut my finger with the exacto knife when I was taking the old seals off

Other than that everything went perfect and it was pretty easy, it took me about 3 hours.

When I first started it everything was normal and I didnt get any check engine lights or anything, for the first mile or so it felt kind of sluggish but after driving a couple miles I could definitely feel more low end torque, I can launch and shift gear at a significantly lower rpm and it just seems to run smoother in general, its noticeably faster to, now when I shift to 2nd at like 6,000rpm the traction control comes on and thats with BFG KDW 225x50zr16's and it definitely never did that before

Look how clean my engine is, its the cleanest semi-high mileage(85k) E46 engine I've seen so far, BMW oil and Mobile 1 0w-40 FTW!

By inlinesicks, shot with Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL at 2009-05-22

Where is vanos located? pix of my engine when I replaced the VCGasket, sparky, coil and boots at the same time at 55K.
Thanks
Rey

Last edited by reynaldo; 06-06-2009 at 10:34 AM.
reynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #26
q0192837465

My Ride: 99.4 A4, 03 330xi
Send a message via ICQ to q0192837465
Is there a DIY?
Old 05-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #27
inlinesicks

My Ride: E46, Jeep, Subaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephi View Post
Man, you deserve the Good Housekeeping Award for that engine.
How often do you change your oil and filter?
About every 7-8k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Bullet View Post
Engine looks great.......glad to see another member do this job easily because I'll be doing mine this weekend just got my kit from beisan(and dam do they have fast shipping) Any other things we may need to know before me or other members tackle this job?
Thanks, and yeah amazing shipping from Beisan!

Not really, just take your time so you dont drop any parts in the engine bay because 80% of the time you will never see them again

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ710 View Post
I HAVE to do this soon. I just have no idea what to do and I don't want to spend $500 bucks getting it done at a shop
If you can turn a wrench you can do it, its just very time consuming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
damn boy.. that is some CLEAN internals!! aircraft certified quality.
Thanks

Quote:
Yeah I know it, my friends truck has almost 70k miles on it and the oil has been changed twice......with non-synthetic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Vega View Post
Mobile 1 0w-40 you say? hmm, I use the 5w 30, is it thicker then bmw's 5w30? should i be using 0w-40?
Yeah definitely use Mobile 1 0w-40, 5w-30 is not LL-01, do a search for Mobile 1 0w-40 and theres a ton of info about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynaldo View Post
Where is vanos located? pix of my engine when I replaced the VCGasket, sparky, coil and boots at the same time at 55K.
Thanks
Rey
See the chains in the in the first pic at the front of the engine, the vanos is right in front of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
Is there a DIY?
http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm
Old 05-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #28
inlinesicks

Here is a video of my cold idle after the new seals, it used to go up and down a few hundred rpm for like the first 30secs after a cold start now its perfect!

Sorry I forgot to do a video before the new seals.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #29
jailonacs99

My Ride: 2011 335is
Well, FINALLY ordered my Beisan seals and plan to do this DIY as soon as they're in. I also plan to order the valve cover gasket from Tischer, anything else anyone would recommend as part of this DIY? Car has about 65K miles.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #30
TX_Bullet

My Ride: 2001 325Xi
^^^^^Thats pretty much it, just make sure you get some RTV like the DIY says. I already got all my parts now, just had to buy me a torque wrench($80) cause I really don't feel like making this job a bad one where I have to deal with broken bolts.
Number of Destroyed Newb Destroyers- 1
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
TX_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #31
nathancarter

My Ride: 02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
Well, FINALLY ordered my Beisan seals and plan to do this DIY as soon as they're in. I also plan to order the valve cover gasket from Tischer, anything else anyone would recommend as part of this DIY? Car has about 65K miles.
The walkthrough on Beisan's site has a list of the parts you may need. The 15 grommets for the valve cover studs, replacement VANOS bolts (just in case), etc.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:38 AM   #32
LI_BIMMER

My Ride: 2000 - i, 2003 X5
I did the seals on Tuesday as planned and my father-in-law who is a mechanic, helped me out in my back yard. We took 5 hrs and even changed the spark plugs. Having him there and the step by step instructions made the job easier. Usually, while he was working on one thing, I was doing something else.

Here are some pictures of a 65k engine with oil changes every 7.5k using BMW 5w-30 synthetic oil. So far, I have done 114 miles on the new vanos seals and hope that I will feel some more power as stated around 200 mile mark.

Not sure why my internals have a copper color compared with some others that don't look this tarnished? I thought is was super clean with no sludge. Perhaps others use mobil 0w-40 vs. BMW 5w-30 in mine? Any other guesses? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 copy.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	316888   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	316889  

Last edited by LI_BIMMER; 05-28-2009 at 12:42 AM.
LI_BIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #33
inlinesicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
I only replaced the valve cover gasket and the vanos gasket(between the vanos unit and the head), if you haven't replaced your spark plugs yet you might as well do it while you have everything apart already, just make sure you get NGK BKR6EQUP those are the oem ones and you can get them from sparkplugs.com for really cheap
Old 05-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #34
inlinesicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
The walkthrough on Beisan's site has a list of the parts you may need. The 15 grommets for the valve cover studs, replacement VANOS bolts (just in case), etc.
Yeah its a good idea to get a couple extra vanos bolts, I've heard of alot of people breaking them, just remember that they are reverse thread so make sure you turn them the right way and they shouldnt break.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #35
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLee View Post
Well My semi High mileage engine...HOLY MOTHER****IN ****!!!!!(*&^%$$*

At least it isint mine.
MMMM chocolate
Old 05-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #36
inlinesicks

^^ I remember reading that thread a while ago, wasnt that because of using Royal Purple or something?

Tags
323, diy, engine, pics, vanos