E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 02:16 PM   #21
LSUKNUT

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30m3izzle View Post
speculators are getting back into oil. thats why its going back up. has nothing to do with oil restrictions. supply isnt a problem since oil companies have literally been hoarding oil for months.
That's a nice little bed time story to tell the children but the fact is every hurricane season when a major storm enters The Gulf and we all shut everything down to run for the hills, why do you think the price of oil goes up and the price at the pump goes up? Maybe they are speculating we will be shut down for a long time...... Kinda like what's happening now.

Last week a fire at a Chorpus Christi refinery and a resurgence in the fighting in Nigeria sent the price of oil up almost $1.50 in day by itself. And where exactly do you think oil companies are hoarding all this oil (LMFAO!!!)?

KNUT's Progress & Thank You to E46Fanatics Supporting Vendors - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=1#post9933726
LSUKNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #22
e30m3izzle
Banned

My Ride: 1999 323i pal!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUKNUT View Post
That's a nice little bed time story to tell the children but the fact is every hurricane season when a major storm enters The Gulf and we all shut everything down to run for the hills, why do you think the price of oil goes up and the price at the pump goes up? Maybe they are speculating we will be shut down for a long time...... Kinda like what's happening now.

Last week a fire at a Chorpus Christi refinery and a resurgence in the fighting in Nigeria sent the price of oil up almost $1.50 in day by itself. And where exactly do you think oil companies are hoarding all this oil (LMFAO!!!)?
Contango is a term used in the futures market to describe an upward sloping forward curve (as in the normal yield curve). Such a forward curve is said to be "in contango" (or sometimes "contangoed").

Formally, it is the situation where, and the amount by which, the price of a commodity for future delivery is higher than the spot price, or a far future delivery price higher than a nearer future delivery.
e30m3izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #23
LSUKNUT

Quote:
a year ago there was more demand, also, we are getting more oil from canadian oil sands now
39% of our oil comes from Canada and that's offshore and the sands.

But you are still missing the main point. We are becoming and before long will be totally dependent on foreign oil. Do you have any idea what so ever how many millions of American jobs are on the line with that one move?

KNUT's Progress & Thank You to E46Fanatics Supporting Vendors - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=1#post9933726
Old 05-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #24
Coldintake
Registered OG User

My Ride: Mid-engine beast
lol.. thread still goin on? This is basic econ...
Old 05-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #25
LSUKNUT

Quote:
Contango is a term used in the futures market to describe an upward sloping forward curve (as in the normal yield curve). Such a forward curve is said to be "in contango" (or sometimes "contangoed").

Formally, it is the situation where, and the amount by which, the price of a commodity for future delivery is higher than the spot price, or a far future delivery price higher than a nearer future delivery.
Thanks for the Business 101 lesson but I already own a business so I'm very aware of this. Once again..........This Democratic administration is forcing American companies to leave this nation with their rigs, their equipment, and their jobs. Before long OPEC will have complete control over our economy. They can set the price or they can shut off the taps but worst of all, they can force us to pay whatever price they see fit.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #26
e30m3izzle
Banned

My Ride: 1999 323i pal!
Quote:
Thanks for the Business 101 lesson but I already own a business so I'm very aware of this. Once again..........This Democratic administration is forcing American companies to leave this nation with their rigs, their equipment, and their jobs. Before long OPEC will have complete control over our economy. They can set the price or they can shut off the taps but worst of all, they can force us to pay whatever price they see fit.
dude you act like thats not happening already
e30m3izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #27
LSUKNUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
lol.. thread still goin on? This is basic econ...
Basic Economy practices went out the window when we starting spending TRILLIONS of dollars we don't have. If you think there is anything "Basic" about what is happening in today's economy you seriously need to pay a little more attention.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #28
Coldintake
Registered OG User

My Ride: Mid-engine beast
Quote:
Basic Economy practices went out the window when we starting spending TRILLIONS of dollars we don't have. If you think there is anything "Basic" about what is happening in today's economy you seriously need to pay a little more attention.
lmao.. THAT IS basic info mr. smarty. If you run trillion dollar deficits you're running the economy into the ground. Maybe you missed that lecture...
Maybe you should look into that than trying to sound smart.

All the fundamentals are being thrown out the window.. and we're making up stuff as we go along, which history has proven does not work. Nor does Keynesian economics.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #29
LSUKNUT

Quote:
dude you act like thats not happening already
Hello McFly!!!!!!!!!

If you think this is the case why then do you not see how incredibly frucked this nation will be if we have to rely on everyone else for our number 1 energy & manufacturing source?

Old 05-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #30
HPFMTRE

My Ride: HPF stage 3 M3
Gas here in cali went up 10cents yesterday im now paying about $2.85 a gallon for premium....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRzErKaS View Post
wat?? guys with turbo M3's don't have woman troubles...

try adjusting your wastegate
HPF Stage 3 #001

R35 GTR coming soon ;)
HPFMTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #31
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
This thread deserves a big "Obama"

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #32
IluvMy328i

My Ride: Miss Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
This thread deserves a big "Obama"

4-Headed Monster

Chappin' azz since '07'

Miss me yet?
IluvMy328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #33
Ferm3

My Ride: 2003 Topaz Blue M3
^
Old 05-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #34
madchef

My Ride: '04 ZHP Sedan MB/NB
oh whoops, election ended a while ago
Old 05-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #35
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
Quote:
so if McCain were in the white house and had made the same decision i bet you'd fully support it
bimmer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #36
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Sorry, but this is a very biased view from someone who's whole livelihood depends on drilling for more oil. I feel bad that your company is affected and you may lose income, but it's not possible to get an objective opinion from the owner of a oil drilling company.

I agree with many of your points, just not the doomsday extent it's exaggerated to be.
Amoeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #37
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
Please... Americans were shitting bricks over the Swine Flu which turned out to be no more deadly than the common flu. The world is supposed to end in 2012 too... so who cares?

Hopefully aluminum foil doesn't sky rocket in price... the aliens might start probing your thoughts

Maybe it's time the OP made the switch to Natural Gas... Louisiana has plenty.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #38
slog7

My Ride: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
sorry, but this is a very biased view from someone who's whole livelihood depends on drilling for more oil. I feel bad that your company is affected and you may lose income, but it's not possible to get an objective opinion from the owner of a oil drilling company.

I agree with many of your points, just not the doomsday extent it's exaggerated to be.
+93284234
slog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #39
LSUKNUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer07 View Post
so if McCain were in the white house and had made the same decision i bet you'd fully support it
Hardly! McCain wouldn't be that stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
Sorry, but this is a very biased view from someone who's whole livelihood depends on drilling for more oil. I feel bad that your company is affected and you may lose income, but it's not possible to get an objective opinion from the owner of a oil drilling company.

This doesn't just affect me, you have to realize how dependent this nation is on oil and gas. It goes way beyond just driving your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
Please... Americans were shitting bricks over the Swine Flu which turned out to be no more deadly than the common flu. The world is supposed to end in 2012 too... so who cares?

Hopefully aluminum foil doesn't sky rocket in price... the aliens might start probing your thoughts

Maybe it's time the OP made the switch to Natural Gas... Louisiana has plenty.
Mmmm, yes denial is our friend. The stock market will also never go below 10,000 again, banks cannot fail - they are way too powerful, the American car companies are the strongest car companies in the world and the American Government would NEVER spend trillions of dollars we don't have. Denial has really gotten us far in this nation because the Government would never do anything to adversely affect the people of this nation....

Old 05-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #40
wiedrick2005

My Ride: POS
Ignorance, we live in Canada.. Gas stations up here are not price makers, they are price takers. Everyone here is saying oh this is BS when oil was $147 we were paying $1.52/regular. And now oil is $61 and were still paying $1.04/liter. Ever thought of the Canadian dollar and the fact that gas/oil prices are set in USD. Also if you read current news, you would know of the recent increases in gas taxes in BC. Do your homework before you place blame, don't buy gas if you can't handle the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MACHINE View Post
article has way to much rhetoric... look at current oil prices, and price of fuel at the pump. Here I'm paying $1.20 a liter for 92 and it should be around $0.80 a liter. I will always maintain "fuk oil companies". Biggest crooks next to the government.
wiedrick2005 is offline   Reply With Quote