E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #61
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
u always seem to avoid answering the net profit questions...billions per quarter...

thats because there is no reasonable reason for it.
wrighterjw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:30 PM   #62
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUKNUT View Post
Hardly! McCain wouldn't be that stupid.

This doesn't just affect me, you have to realize how dependent this nation is on oil and gas. It goes way beyond just driving your car.

Mmmm, yes denial is our friend. The stock market will also never go below 10,000 again, banks cannot fail - they are way too powerful, the American car companies are the strongest car companies in the world and the American Government would NEVER spend trillions of dollars we don't have. Denial has really gotten us far in this nation because the Government would never do anything to adversely affect the people of this nation....
of course he wouldnt cause well he's a republican

so how about that record profit last summer while people struggled to fill a tank cause of how much gas was costing?

Did they really need that extra 1 billion? couldnt they have cut gas prices a little bit and not been such greedy **sholes?
bimmer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:14 AM   #63
LSUKNUT

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravsM3 View Post
18 months ago, no one was worried about it. Now s.hits hitting the fan and it's a problem. Maybe they can give you some bench time and pay your salary for a few years off the billions they made each quarter?
Great bit of information there buddy. 18 months ago nobody saw the banking industry on the verge of collapse. 18 months ago the American car companies were doing so, so but 100 times better than now. 18 months ago Bernie Madoff told people he was making them millions. 18 months ago the stock market was above 10,000. 18 months ago there wasn't almost 14,000 unemployed Americans.

Oil companies are like any other company, in business to make money. But at the same time those same oil companies employee hundreds of thousands of American workers and pay above average salaries to those people. They also spend millions to find, drill for, and produce oil and gas so this nation can enjoy the lifestyle we've gotton used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allure View Post
Source of the article?
Europeans have been doing it for years, you would have to adjust your lifestyle a little bit, there are worse things that could happen.
Exactly - Europe has paid higher prices for fuel and oil since WWII while Americans have had a virtual free ride for years BUT the American oil companies are evil.

KNUT's Progress & Thank You to E46Fanatics Supporting Vendors - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=1#post9933726
LSUKNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:42 AM   #64
CMT247

My Ride: 07 VW GTI
Quote:
Great bit of information there buddy. 18 months ago nobody saw the banking industry on the verge of collapse. 18 months ago the American car companies were doing so, so but 100 times better than now. 18 months ago Bernie Madoff told people he was making them millions. 18 months ago the stock market was above 10,000. 18 months ago there wasn't almost 14,000 unemployed Americans.

Oil companies are like any other company, in business to make money. But at the same time those same oil companies employee hundreds of thousands of American workers and pay above average salaries to those people. They also spend millions to find, drill for, and produce oil and gas so this nation can enjoy the lifestyle we've gotton used to.

Exactly - Europe has paid higher prices for fuel and oil since WWII while Americans have had a virtual free ride for years BUT the American oil companies are evil.
true, it's all about making money, why shouldn't oil companies try their best to make a profit. Capitalist society, cmon.

However, there were many people who knew what was going on in the banking industry and many others who knew what was going to happen.
CMT247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:23 AM   #65
dpwr

My Ride: 335
LSUKNUT is completely right, he's not biased, he just speaks the truth.... oil companies shutting down their exploration and investment projects because they cannot fund it at these levels, and once USA economy recovers there will be HUGE inflation going on, sending demand sky high while supply will stay low... i don't know about $10 though, I can see $4-6 in few years easily
dpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:06 AM   #66
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2past3CI View Post
If gas hit 10$/gallon, its game over. The economy will cease to exist, and we will be living in the middle ages. Im not saying it couldn't go up, I fully expect it to. But I will tell you this, I will never buy a gallon of gas for 10$ with the intention of using it in my car.
Welcome to my world - diesel over here in the UK is 1.10/litre - you do the maths and tell me if you're getting a good deal or not... The economy will end? Do me a favour - you'll just all be poorer

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:35 AM   #67
Acarder

My Ride: 69' M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goughie View Post
Welcome to my world - diesel over here in the UK is 1.10/litre - you do the maths and tell me if you're getting a good deal or not... The economy will end? Do me a favour - you'll just all be poorer
Thats for diesel? For $2.40 (after converstion, jebus our dollar is worth nothing) you can get a litre of 98.. And I thought I had it bad!
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #68
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I stopped reading after "Fox News".

Major knee jerk fail.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #69
mkodama

I don't think I'd mind $10 a gallon.

-Yes, it would totally blow for a lot of things, but I feel it would get some of the drivers I dislike off the road, like the ones that can't pay for insurance as is, the lifted pickups that never even go off-road, and the people with crap cars that drive recklessly because they have no respect for their car or others.

-it would force improvements in public transportation, which is nice for everyone, and better for the environment.

-it would lessen some of the traffic on roads, which makes getting places quicker, less gas is wasted idling a cars that aren't moving

-reduced noise levels in many big cities

Last edited by mkodama; 05-24-2009 at 07:25 PM.
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #70
LSUKNUT

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
I stopped reading after "Fox News".

Major knee jerk fail.
The denial here just kills me! I'm living it my friend, there wasn't one single "Knee jerk" reaction in the entire article. It is today's fact.....Sorry!

KNUT's Progress & Thank You to E46Fanatics Supporting Vendors - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=1#post9933726
LSUKNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #71
VAMZ

My Ride: ///M3
Send a message via Yahoo to VAMZ
tesla will rule the world.
VAMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #72
bimmer07
Banned

do you believe the expansion of hydrogen and ev plug station infrastructure is waste of time? were you one of the people lobbying against EV's when they worked perfectly fine in the mid 90's in california?
Old 05-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #73
TheCarLessDriven

My Ride: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
I don't think I'd mind $10 a gallon.

-Yes, it would totally blow for a lot of things, but I feel it would get some of the drivers I dislike off the road, like the ones that can't pay for insurance as is, the lifted pickups that never even go off-road, and the people with crap cars that drive recklessly because they have not car for their car or others.

-it would force improvements in public transportation, which is nice for everyone, and better for the environment.

-it would lessen some of the traffic on roads, which makes getting places quicker, less gas is wasted idling a cars that aren't moving

-reduced noise levels in many big cities

haha, thats one way to look at it. I also prefer to look at it that way.

"SGC > than your general chat"
TheCarLessDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #74
Sevenscars

My Ride: 1997 M3/4/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer07 View Post
do you believe the expansion of hydrogen and ev plug station infrastructure is waste of time? were you one of the people lobbying against EV's when they worked perfectly fine in the mid 90's in california?
You forget electricity and hydrogen has to come from somewhere. It takes energy from power plants. Guess what fuels them? and forget solar, these fools are going to figure out that solar farms are creating even MORE global warming by absorbing that energy in form of heat than any fossil fuel did!
Old 05-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #75
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenscars View Post
You forget electricity and hydrogen has to come from somewhere. It takes energy from power plants. Guess what fuels them? and forget solar, these fools are going to figure out that solar farms are creating even MORE global warming by absorbing that energy in form of heat than any fossil fuel did!
Nuclear power ftw. With a breeder reactor you get a pretty much infinite supply of fuel, when properly designed has zero effect on the environment, and with enough security you don't have to worry about people breaking in an stealing weapons usable plutonium.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #76
Sevenscars

My Ride: 1997 M3/4/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Nuclear power ftw. With a breeder reactor you get a pretty much infinite supply of fuel, when properly designed has zero effect on the environment, and with enough security you don't have to worry about people breaking in an stealing weapons usable plutonium.
Don't think your president will be down with that program though.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #77
mkodama

Quote:
Probably not because nuclear has the connotations of nuclear waste, nuclear bombs, terrorism, north korea, "the iraq" , cancer, etc...

Politicians do what the makes the public happy, and most of the time the public is pretty stupid.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:52 PM   #78
TravsM3

My Ride: 05' 545i, ZSP
Quote:

First, there is enough talent in the executive level of the oil companies to know when the bubble was going to bust. Secondly, the speculation that drove the nation into $4.00/gallon territory last year accounts for at least one third of the reason we are in such a major economic constriction right now. The greed that drove it to that point, drove people inside their homes, canceling vacations and grabbing tighter to their money.

I would agree that we should have a power source up and running before we shut down the existing. But as I have stated in your other thread, the fact the oil companies are acting like children on the playground and saying "well if you don't play by our rules, we will just take our ball and go home" is bu.llshit. We lined their pockets beyond their wildest dreams and now that we ask for some back via taxation they loose their f.uck.ing minds.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #79
bimmer07
Banned

Quote:
Anti-matter FTW fuel cells?

Quote:
his president? in no way am i patriotic Amurican but just cause you might not agree with some of the things the president of this country believes in doesnt mean you shouldn't consider him your president cause he is
Old 05-24-2009, 11:05 PM   #80
dkrab

My Ride: 2000 323i
Here is some raw rig count data from Baker Hughes:

http://intelligencepress.com/features/bakerhughes/

For what it's worth, I work for Baker Hughes. Most of our business is from overseas these days. US activity has dropped significantly.

If prices go up and stay up, US production will go up, too. But full independence from foreign sources of oil is a pipe dream.

Last edited by dkrab; 05-24-2009 at 11:07 PM.
dkrab is offline   Reply With Quote