E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
sokhy

My Ride: 330ci
Tweeter/Midrange replacement

All, I need some help in picking out some tweeters/midrange speakers for my 01 330ci. I looked at the BSW front midrange/tweeter set and would like to know what other options I have out there...would like to know what other brands did you replace it with and how do you do it?

Thanks for all the help!

-S
sokhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
325CI2004

My Ride: 09 335I
if your willing to go to an aftermarket amp, you have unlimited options. If you want to keep factory amp, go with the BSW as it is plug and play.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
profM3

My Ride: 2005 M3 ZCP
BSW is the only company that makes a drop in replacement for the 2.5" midranges in E46 cars. The tweeters and mid-bass speakers can be sourced from many manufacturers. BSW makes a nice mid-range/tweeter combo with a mounting bracket for E46 coupes.
2005 M3 Silbergrau Metallic on black; 6MT, ZCP, ZPP, ZCW, Nav, Dinan exhaust, two AR20 resonators in section 1, Autosolutions SSK, Fucy CSL diffuser, Intravee II, illuminated ZHP shift knob, stealth V1 install with ash tray remote, OEM first aid boxes under both seats, Ultimate pedals and more...
profM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
packrat555

My Ride: 2001 325i
I've looked everywhere and nothing else exist for the 2.5 inch midrange. The mid bass is is a 2ohm speaker, and you will never find a speaker of this size and rating either. I presume the BSW mid bass replacement is also 2 ohm???

If you go aftermarket forget the 3 way design they are more trouble tuning than they are worth.
packrat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:59 AM   #5
Micah D. Cranman
Sponsor

My Ride: '03 ZHP
As others have said, we're the only company that makes a 2.5" midrange replacement for these cars, and we're also the only company with a direct-fit 2.5" midrange / 25mm tweeter combo for the E46 Coupe.

All speakers we sell are impedance matched, so yes, our E46 midbasses are 2 Ohm if you don't have HK, 3 Ohm if you have HK.

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Micah D. Cranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:48 AM   #6
MojoJoe

My Ride: leaks fluids
One other option you might consider is looking at home audio drivers to replace your midrange. I found an driver that was pretty much a drop in replacement (correct impedance and power handling) on ebay for about a quarter of what BSW were asking for shipping (to the UK). Sounds good too.
MojoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
pastE36prsntE46

My Ride: HPF STG 3; 95 FI M3
Home audio drivers? WOW post full of fail......OP BSW charges what they do because of the R&D it took to create the speaker to match FREQUENCIES as well that you will NOT get with any other replacement speaker unless you replace all the speakers.
pastE36prsntE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
cozilla

My Ride: 2002 M3
bump

sig by roddykaregaran
cozilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #9
Micah D. Cranman
Sponsor

Cozilla: Thanks for the bump. Was there a particular question you'd like us to answer?

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Old 10-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
323hopes

My Ride: e46 00'323coupe/auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah D. Cranman View Post
Cozilla: Thanks for the bump. Was there a particular question you'd like us to answer?
yea... when is that sub coming out!??
323hopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
Micah D. Cranman
Sponsor

Which subwoofer, and for what vehicle application? Sorry -- we have a lot of products in development!

Old 05-12-2010, 04:55 AM   #12
orubasarot

My Ride: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastE36prsntE46 View Post
Home audio drivers? WOW post full of fail......OP BSW charges what they do because of the R&D it took to create the speaker to match FREQUENCIES as well that you will NOT get with any other replacement speaker unless you replace all the speakers.
WOW! FREQUENCIES!

They don't match ****, a car's listening environment is terrible no matter what. Besides, high end car audio is composed of Porsches loaded with Bose paper woofer garbage, or Civics with 4 12" subs rattling in the trunk.

BSW is for people who bought their E46 new from the dealer. I on the other hand got my E46 used for $5K from an auto auction, different market segment entirely. My 5.25" and 6.5" woofer replacements were "drop in" (with zipties) and cost a total of $40 for all 4 of them. I have a BA in this bullshit, an Event 5.1 system at home, and Sennheiser HD650s dangling from my neck, I know that there's a time and place for TRUE high fidelity, and a car simply isn't it. I also don't need someone to manufacture speaker brackets and charge me $150 for them.

BMW already took care of the crossovers, doesn't matter what you connect the wires to, a transducer is a transducer. Something resistant to moisture, like a rubber surround and polypropylene cone is all you need for a car. 4ohm works well, matching all speakers doesn't matter, you won't fry anything.

Here's a midrange I just found, bet you anything it'll work just fine, a reviewer even mentions his E36 328i:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1046

After that take out your tweeter, measure the size, and find something with similar dimensions.

Last edited by orubasarot; 05-12-2010 at 06:12 AM.
orubasarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
Micah D. Cranman
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by orubasarot View Post
WOW! FREQUENCIES!

They don't match ****, a car's listening environment is terrible no matter what. Besides, high end car audio is composed of Porsches loaded with Bose paper woofer garbage, or Civics with 4 12" subs rattling in the trunk.

BSW is for people who bought their E46 new from the dealer. I on the other hand got my E46 used for $5K from an auto auction, different market segment entirely. My 5.25" and 6.5" woofer replacements were "drop in" (with zipties) and cost a total of $40 for all 4 of them. I have a BA in this bullshit, an Event 5.1 system at home, and Sennheiser HD650s dangling from my neck, I know that there's a time and place for TRUE high fidelity, and a car simply isn't it. I also don't need someone to manufacture speaker brackets and charge me $150 for them.

BMW already took care of the crossovers, doesn't matter what you connect the wires to, a transducer is a transducer. Something resistant to moisture, like a rubber surround and polypropylene cone is all you need for a car. 4ohm works well, matching all speakers doesn't matter, you won't fry anything.

Here's a midrange I just found, bet you anything it'll work just fine, a reviewer even mentions his E36 328i:

After that take out your tweeter, measure the size, and find something with similar dimensions.
You sound like a cynic with regards to car audio. In many ways, I'll agree -- it's virtually impossible without millions in resources to get the type of audio reproduction that can be achieved in a home environment.

But, it doesn't mean that properly matching sensitivity, impedance, off-axis response, etc. doesn't make a measurable (and audible) difference in sound quality. These things matter, and it's why we take the time and spend the money on the engineering.

You may not agree with the value our products bring, but please, get the facts straight. Customers aren't paying $150 for brackets; they are paying for vehicle-specific, custom built drivers engineered for a specific application and manufactured in small runs. None of which is cheap.

If you're on a budget, hacking something together might be just fine for you -- but if you value your time at all and the integrity of your car, BSW products are a GREAT value.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #14
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by orubasarot View Post

Nice find, thanks! I'll review after they get here and I install them.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #15
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post
Nice find, thanks! I'll review after they get here and I install them.
You can also use this as a midrange:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-807

You have to dremel the speaker flange, but it will slide and clip into the bracket. I have this, paired with this as a tweeter:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-865

And this as a woofer:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-372

It sounds amazing, all of the drivers listed get extremely high marks for the range they are used in for this system. I paired it with a sub and amp and it rivals some of my incredibly expensive home audio equipment. (Sonus Faber, etc.)

BSW: I have my on.
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:55 PM   #16
FocusXi

My Ride: 325i
^ I need a woofer that is aimed at mid-high volumes! otherwise i'd love to listen to your setup.
Ferrari F40 sold
Ferrari F50 sold
Ferrari Enzo sold
Saleen S7 sold
Bugatti Veyron sold
Koenigsegg CCX sold
Maserati MC12 sold
Pagani Zonda sold
Mercedes McLaren SLR sold
FocusXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #17
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusXi View Post
^ I need a woofer that is aimed at mid-high volumes! otherwise i'd love to listen to your setup.
What? Are you using the stock amp? I'm confused as to what the issue is, that's all.
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #18
pnice1p

My Ride: 11' 335i Msport
Send a message via AIM to pnice1p Send a message via MSN to pnice1p Send a message via Yahoo to pnice1p
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
You can also use this as a midrange:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-807

You have to dremel the speaker flange, but it will slide and clip into the bracket. I have this, paired with this as a tweeter:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-865

And this as a woofer:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-372

It sounds amazing, all of the drivers listed get extremely high marks for the range they are used in for this system. I paired it with a sub and amp and it rivals some of my incredibly expensive home audio equipment. (Sonus Faber, etc.)

BSW: I have my on.
Sounds great, I think im gonna go with your set up. Are you still using the stock amp on you highs?
pnice1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #19
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Great input guys, thank you very much!!!

Sorry I didn't reply back sooner but I received my Vifa NE65W-04 2" Full Range Woofer and I've been driving around and enjoying the great new sound!!!

AMAZING difference from the crap HK the car came with.

Installed with ease and only took a few minutes to get the door panel off, and then spent about 15 minutes on the speaker swap, then put it all back together and enjoyed!!!

Here are some photos for comparison.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #20
pnice1p

My Ride: 11' 335i Msport
Send a message via AIM to pnice1p Send a message via MSN to pnice1p Send a message via Yahoo to pnice1p
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post
Great input guys, thank you very much!!!

Sorry I didn't reply back sooner but I received my Vifa NE65W-04 2" Full Range Woofer and I've been driving around and enjoying the great new sound!!!

AMAZING difference from the crap HK the car came with.

Installed with ease and only took a few minutes to get the door panel off, and then spent about 15 minutes on the speaker swap, then put it all back together and enjoyed!!!

Here are some photos for comparison.

I took your advice and the difference is unbelievable. I still don't understand why people are wasting so much money with BSW. Replacement components at parts-express only ran me 53 plus shipping. If I added tweeters it would have been 83. Parts-express FTW!!!!
pnice1p is offline   Reply With Quote