E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #21
jwerner

My Ride: 2000 323i
Funny how some people think there's only one magic solution which happens to be their solution.

If you want a drop in solution and your budget isn't a concern the BSW product looks real good and there are plenty of folks happy with it.

If you have a tiny budget and are a DIY, parts-express and madisound have great components to drop in that will with the factory amp or aftermarket. Several others mention some great drop-ins.

If you are both a DIY and budget isn't a concern I suggest the DLS Iridums 6.5 with about 150watts RMS each. Cut a hole and mount them to the door not the panel to get great mid bass response. Use cutting board material or coated MDF. Dampen the door too. I run MBQ tweets in the factory location and worry not with the 2.5" mid-range. Take an Audio Control DQX and actively crossover each speaker and apply 30 bands of EQ to smooth out response. I use my wife's iPhone with RTA software which is about 90% of a professional RTA setup. If you need sub-bass, I suggest a pair of low profile 10" subs baffled from the rear deck using a sandwich of nuts and bolts. This IB arrangement gives very smooth response from 15hz to around 70hz. The e46 has an excellent sealed trunk very little to seal off. Anyway, this setup sounds fantastic but is only yet another of many possible solutions.
jwerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #22
Micah D. Cranman
Sponsor

My Ride: '03 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwerner View Post
Funny how some people think there's only one magic solution which happens to be their solution.

If you want a drop in solution and your budget isn't a concern the BSW product looks real good and there are plenty of folks happy with it.

If you have a tiny budget and are a DIY, parts-express and madisound have great components to drop in that will with the factory amp or aftermarket. Several others mention some great drop-ins.
Exactly. There are other solutions out there if you have the time and know how.

Fact is, we don't buy in the volumes of Parts Express since everything we sell is custom built for exact model vehicles. So we pay more and, therefore, you pay more. We also have to cover the costs associated with providing a money-back guarantee, excellent service, and a 4 year warranty on every speaker system we sell.

Do what works for YOU and YOUR budget. Sometimes it's BSW -- and sometimes it's something else. Enjoy what you have, but remember that in audio, as with every other aspect of life, there are a heck of a lot of ways to go about things.

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Micah D. Cranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:50 AM   #23
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah D. Cranman View Post
Exactly. There are other solutions out there if you have the time and know how.

Fact is, we don't buy in the volumes of Parts Express since everything we sell is custom built for exact model vehicles. So we pay more and, therefore, you pay more. We also have to cover the costs associated with providing a money-back guarantee, excellent service, and a 4 year warranty on every speaker system we sell.

Do what works for YOU and YOUR budget. Sometimes it's BSW -- and sometimes it's something else. Enjoy what you have, but remember that in audio, as with every other aspect of life, there are a heck of a lot of ways to go about things.
They are the only thing out there that is a DROP IN OEM replacement. You pay a little more but you don't have to worry about bastardizing the install.

If you are soooo worried about SQ, why would you use the OEM amp anyway?

BSW saves you money...in time and reduced risk of botching the install.

In the past, I've competed in some local SQ events so BSW is probably not the best product in my case. For most, it works great!
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:25 AM   #24
jaspillera

My Ride: 02 330ciC
bump for future mod.

Last edited by jaspillera; 08-04-2010 at 03:26 AM.
jaspillera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #25
cline328

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Just ordered two vifa NE65W-04 2" Full Range Woofer for my front doors. Glad I searched and found this.

My BMW is now second.

New Car: 2007 G35x
cline328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #26
jaspillera

My Ride: 02 330ciC
for those who put the speakers fromparts express, how's the quality and the speakers holding up??? i was thinking about doing the exact same thing or maybe even seeing what other manufacturers had that fits our cars. thanks!!
jaspillera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #27
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
I just put them in last week for the rear side panels in my coupe. so far so good, but not really pushing them yet. waiting a little while before I upgrade my amp
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #28
radarcontact

My Ride: 2006 330CiC/ZHP
If you aren't going with BSW, and want to find your own drivers (speakers), parts-express is a decent place to go. However, you can also get many, many drivers (100's?) from Madisound http://www.madisound.com/, and also from another, smaller company called Meniscus http://www.meniscusaudio.com/ (who have GREAT customer service and expert product advice from both Mark and Chad). I've built many home theater speaker systems, and to me, half the fun is finding the right drivers to use. Good luck!
radarcontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #29
7xes

My Ride: M3
Send a message via AIM to 7xes
are you guys running those tweeters/midrange from partsexpress with the stock H/K amp? im just looking for a temporary replacement before i get money for something better. how do you wire them?
edit: can you hook up any other component speakers, lets say a 2-way system to a stock headunit/amp without worry of burning the driver?

Last edited by 7xes; 10-22-2010 at 05:34 PM.
7xes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #30
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
I have them in my full aftermarket system. they have standard speaker terminals on them. I also put bass blockers on them
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #31
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
Here is a link to a DIY I just did today using the 2" Mids that you all recommended in this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=494644

Hopefully it will help answer some questions.

THANKS to who ever/everyone here who contributed to this thread. I was going crazy trying to find stock replacements for cheap and you all made my day with the info here

Jake
Old 11-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #32
shellback

My Ride: BMW
Not sure if can replace these speakers. I removed the rear door speaker and looks like its 2 to 2.5 inches???
I attached a photo of the rear sticker. This is the only speaker on the rear door (323 touring). I still havenít tackled the front doors.
Just wondering if the speakers that were posted from parts express would be ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	382527   Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	382528  
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #33
G-Hots

My Ride: ///M3 & 328ci & X3
Send a message via AIM to G-Hots Send a message via MSN to G-Hots
yes you can definitely replace those. you just need the plastic screw-in piece on there for an oem finish. theres a video on youtube posted by BSW showing you how to do it
G-Hots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:08 AM   #34
kevvygp

My Ride: 320D
Quote:
Originally Posted by orubasarot View Post
WOW! FREQUENCIES!

They don't match ****, a car's listening environment is terrible no matter what. Besides, high end car audio is composed of Porsches loaded with Bose paper woofer garbage, or Civics with 4 12" subs rattling in the trunk.

BSW is for people who bought their E46 new from the dealer. I on the other hand got my E46 used for $5K from an auto auction, different market segment entirely. My 5.25" and 6.5" woofer replacements were "drop in" (with zipties) and cost a total of $40 for all 4 of them. I have a BA in this bullshit, an Event 5.1 system at home, and Sennheiser HD650s dangling from my neck, I know that there's a time and place for TRUE high fidelity, and a car simply isn't it. I also don't need someone to manufacture speaker brackets and charge me $150 for them.

BMW already took care of the crossovers, doesn't matter what you connect the wires to, a transducer is a transducer. Something resistant to moisture, like a rubber surround and polypropylene cone is all you need for a car. 4ohm works well, matching all speakers doesn't matter, you won't fry anything.

Here's a midrange I just found, bet you anything it'll work just fine, a reviewer even mentions his E36 328i:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1046

After that take out your tweeter, measure the size, and find something with similar dimensions.
Actually quite true. Been doing SQ builds in cars for a decade, it's one of the most challenging environments imaginable. I git it right around my 6th build - at a cost of around $9000. Yes, Thats. What. It. Takes.

However most people just want something better than standard. After I gave up teh SQ game i swore my 2004 E46 would stay stock sound but it got to me (really crap!) but went the cheapie, simplest option and you know what? it's fine for 99% of teh population:. I put JBL 6.5" splits front (take the effort! cut a hole in the doors for the 6.5s and Dynamat the sh!t out of everything you see!), 6.5" JBL woofs in rear, a JBL 10" sub in boot (try stick to brand I do, dunno why...) and entry level amp (cut out ski hatch if sealed). It's no competition SQ winner or pavement pounder but the sound is rich and full and plenty loud enough thank you. Accoustics are particularly good. Total cost? $400.
kevvygp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #35
shellback

My Ride: BMW
Ok, so Iím tearing the hell out of my touring...

The rear cargo area speaker was a royal PITA to access.
I broke two parts of the interior trim which now forces me to contact Tischer...
Ok, each side of the rear cargo area has a 2 ohm 6.25 woofer made by Haes. Iím searching for a replacement woofer since the foam around the woofer is rotting away.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	enclosure left.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	382770   Click image for larger version

Name:	enclosure.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	382771   Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	382772   Click image for larger version

Name:	depth.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	382773  

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	382774  
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:25 AM   #36
kevvygp

My Ride: 320D
The easiest way is to get a BSW replacement - drop them in and there you go, your speakers will be as good as when they left the factory, actually better. However if you want to improve your sound, there are many things to consider, especially since they ar strange ohm loads and sizes, but nothing insurmountable. BSW aren't very cheap also, but their quality is up their with most mid-level stuff, and far superior to factory stuff. However, for the same price there are alternatives that are better, but the 2 ohm situation will make the install too complex - go for the BSW set, they are $110 and look the bsuiness: http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product/539/323/BMW-E46-Midrange-Sedan-Rear/

My foremost suggestion you would be a FOOL not to do is buy a couple sheets of Dynamat or similar and completely engulf and seal the rear firing area of the speakers. From your pics tho it looks like some plastic bucket? if so that's very little room for displacement, try find a way to create a decent, insulated enclosure around the size of a shoebox (shape is not critical in this application).

I must say however that, if you like sound, go for a full set of BSW all round, get more dynamat, and do all the doors as well. Those speakers at the rear are really only "filler", and while important, replacing your fronts and mids with BSWs or others to match, with matting, will astound you in terms of improved quality. Factory stuff is rubbish, while the factory HU and amp is actually quite decent.

Most of all have fun! Take a day to do it this way and at least you will know you'll be getting the best sound out of your speakers, and your efforts!

ADD: BSW Full upgrade kit: $600 here - http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...-Series-Wagon/

Last edited by kevvygp; 11-08-2010 at 02:28 AM. Reason: added URL link
kevvygp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #37
Marvin328i

My Ride: '00 328i Touring exe
@Shellback

Look for Audiosystem speakers...radion/x-ion E46

gr.
Marvin
Marvin328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #38
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
Bump for questions. I am looking for some tweeters for my front doors and I was wondering what you guys think are good choices. They need to be 8 ohm's.
I was looking at these.
https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...roducts_id=543
any other suggestions? I do NOT want BSW they are to expensive.

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #39
gazfatha323i
E46 Spartan

My Ride: 04 CB/IR M3
Send a message via AIM to gazfatha323i
does parts express have something that will fit the lower larger (I think 6.25") woofer on a coupe?

Carbon Black / IR ///M
gazfatha323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:50 AM   #40
Angrywhopper

My Ride: M3
BUMP!

I have a question for you HK folks..when you replace all these components, are you still using the factory amp? Are you replacing it with an aftermarket one?

Also, is there a woofer that goes in the bottom that works well from parts express?
Angrywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote